Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:16 AM

10 posts, read 27,501 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So I'm going to be moving to Warren Township for work in a couple of weeks. I am not really familiar with New Jersey and wanted a few tips about the best places to stay and so on. I'm going to go ahead and answer the questions that were mentioned on the sticky so you have more information.

Moving from Iowa.
Just finished school and starting a new job.
Moving to Warren Township specifically

Trying to find something between $900-$1300
1 Bed/1Bath

Moving by myself so don't care about the schools

In terms of the community, looking for a community that's young and diverse

The three most important things I'd say would be the 1)Commute to work 2)I'm in my 20's so would love a good nightlife 3) I like walking/running, so a town with any good trails would be perfect.

Appreciate all the help!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
My suggestion would be Somerville, which is the county seat for Somerset County. It is an old town that is undergoing a bit of a renaissance/revival, with the younger arts community being one of the factors in the rejuvenation of the town. The town is definitely diverse, and rents tend to be lower than in the rest of the county. Driving from Warren to Somerville should take no more than 15 minutes.

Although there is surely more nightlife in Somerville than there is anywhere else in the county, you may find that you need to go to New Brunswick (home of Rutgers U.) for entertainment, and at night you should be able to drive to New Brunswick w/in 35-40 minutes.

While Somerville doesn't yet have any trails (they will be built over the next few years, however), Duke Farms (the former estate of Doris Duke) is located about 5 minutes away, in Hillsborough, and Duke Farms is a huge expanse of forests and meadows that is criss-crossed with trails for hiking, running and biking. And, it doesn't even cost anything to borrow one of their bikes for the afternoon!

In nearby Franklin Township, the presence of two state parks (Six Mile Run and Delaware & Raritan Canal) means that there are many trails available for recreation.

If you explore the town of Somerville's website, you can see additional details:
http://www.somervillenj.org/

Welcome to the area!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:55 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Just wanted to mention that Warren Township is a beautiful area- but pretty much affluent families.
I used to live in the area but it's been a while. Somerville makes sense.
I am thinking possibly Morristown or Basking Ridge might be good as well. I think Morristown (which would probably be about a 20 minute trip ) has more young people and definitely a walkable happening town center.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I think Morristown (which would probably be about a 20 minute trip ) has more young people and definitely a walkable happening town center.

Morristown definitely has a nice town center and may have more young people, but...20 minutes from Morristown to Warren on I-287 and I-78? Maybe at 11:00 PM, but not during most people's commute times.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My suggestion would be Somerville, which is the county seat for Somerset County. It is an old town that is undergoing a bit of a renaissance/revival, with the younger arts community being one of the factors in the rejuvenation of the town. The town is definitely diverse, and rents tend to be lower than in the rest of the county. Driving from Warren to Somerville should take no more than 15 minutes.

Although there is surely more nightlife in Somerville than there is anywhere else in the county, you may find that you need to go to New Brunswick (home of Rutgers U.) for entertainment, and at night you should be able to drive to New Brunswick w/in 35-40 minutes.

While Somerville doesn't yet have any trails (they will be built over the next few years, however), Duke Farms (the former estate of Doris Duke) is located about 5 minutes away, in Hillsborough, and Duke Farms is a huge expanse of forests and meadows that is criss-crossed with trails for hiking, running and biking. And, it doesn't even cost anything to borrow one of their bikes for the afternoon!

In nearby Franklin Township, the presence of two state parks (Six Mile Run and Delaware & Raritan Canal) means that there are many trails available for recreation.

If you explore the town of Somerville's website, you can see additional details:
Somerville - Home

Welcome to the area!
When it comes down to "where to" in the Somerset Co area the above poster always gives sound advice.

IMO Warren to Morristown in 20 min. is not doable. More like 30 min.+

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When it comes down to "where to" in the Somerset Co area the above poster always gives sound advice.

IMO Warren to Morristown in 20 min. is not doable. More like 30 min.+
I agree, in no way will the commute from Morristown to Warren Twp be 20 min using 287/78, unless you are using a helicopter and flying above the highway. You can of course use tertiary roads to avoid the highways, (by going through New Vernon and then taking Long Hill Rd through Gillette, and on to Warren Twp) they will take you around 35/40 min, which is much better time wise when there are delays on the highway.

Your budget will be tight for NJ, but you can find a 1bd/1ba in Morristown for $1300. It will not be in the new luxury bldgs, full of granite counters SS appliances and with all the amenities, but rather in older apts, and larger homes that have been converted into apts. Check out the rental section of NJ.com (specifying rental homes and apts, not rental communities) or trulia.com. and the like. Be careful of stacking situations.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 07-15-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 AM

10,464 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Morristown.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
Where in Warren County? Up by Blairstown? Hackettstown? Phillipsburg?

If the Phillipsburg area, another option I would recommend are the Lehigh Valley cities in PA: Easton, Bethlehem, and Allentown. Easton is the closest, and maybe Allentown is a little further than you would like to commute. Those three cities are college towns and have plenty of downtown bars and restaurants to cater to the students as well as the locals. Bethlehem is the most happening, I would say, although Easton has an amazing farmers market during the season as well, if that's your thing.

Rents will be more affordable there than, say, Morristown, like other people have suggested. You will have more flexibility in what you can get.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Where in Warren County? Up by Blairstown? Hackettstown? Phillipsburg?

If the Phillipsburg area, another option I would recommend are the Lehigh Valley cities in PA: Easton, Bethlehem, and Allentown. Easton is the closest, and maybe Allentown is a little further than you would like to commute. Those three cities are college towns and have plenty of downtown bars and restaurants to cater to the students as well as the locals. Bethlehem is the most happening, I would say, although Easton has an amazing farmers market during the season as well, if that's your thing.

Rents will be more affordable there than, say, Morristown, like other people have suggested. You will have more flexibility in what you can get.
Warren Township, not County. Warren Township is in Somerset county.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 27,501 times
Hey All,

Appreciate the responses. Definitely don't want a 30+ minute commute during work hours every day. I was speaking with somebody who's working there now, he said he would recommend Bridgewater,*Somerville, Raritan and Manville. Was just wondering how those places compare in terms of 1)the commute 2)rent prices 3)things to do i.e restaurants, bars and 4)the outdoor/trails/scenic standpoint.

Oh and just to clear confusion, I definitely mean Warren Township as opposed to Warren county.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey