Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 19,728 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

We are moving from San Jose, CA to New Jersey/New York in Aug/Sept, 2015. My office is in Broad St, New York City (Manhattan Area), however, we are planning to stay in New Jersey, but open to New York state, if the school and special services are good.

Could you please suggest any good school or school district for Autistic Kids from any one these two locations. My daughter is 9 years old and is high functioning and my son is 6 years and is low functioning and non verbal.

I am Looking for a school specializing in Mainstreaming and good speech therapy and ABA.

My budget is around $2000 in safe and kids friendly neighborhood, mature and near kids park area, and I would like to keep the commute time near to 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours (maximum) using public transport. Don't mind driving though some times.

Also, I am new to New Jersey, so, if you can provide any information on Regional Center which provides services for autistic kids, respite services, ABA, any advice on staying in New Jersey vs New York, Autism Parents Group, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Satyendra Kumar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:43 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
I know the Town of Edison NJ is very good when it comes to the situation you are in right now.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,689 times
Hi Satyendra,

I just saw you post and I am in a same situation. My daughter is almost 8 years old and non-verbal and medium functioning. We are currently located in Florida and considering moving to NJ. I will highly appreciate if can suggest some schools and best area to raise a special needs kid. I work from home and my husband also has flexibility to work from home. Our max budget is $2300.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:31 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
In New York State, the regional BOCES are responsible for educational services for autistic children. I don't know if NJ has an equivalent setup. The PA equivalent to the BOCES is the "intermediate unit." See link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...nsylvania.html

Last edited by Wells5; 03-29-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,107 times
@Special Needs Mom
We have two autistic twin boys and both are more or less non-verbal. We are thinking of moving to Central Florida but looks like you are moving away from Central Florida. Is Central Florida bad for families with special needs children? Would appreciate your response

Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,380 times
https://www.bergen.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=11 ask them

Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxRayala View Post
@Special Needs Mom
We have two autistic twin boys and both are more or less non-verbal. We are thinking of moving to Central Florida but looks like you are moving away from Central Florida. Is Central Florida bad for families with special needs children? Would appreciate your response
Where are you currently located? Where in Central Florida you are considering moving? We are in Tampa. Let me know which area you are thinking to move and I will send you information. It’s hard to find the best fit. Our daughter is medium functioning and able to communicate by using single words and few sentences. Our struggle is that even though we are in a very good school, the quality of services (OT, Speech) are not good. There are very few opportunities for inclusion, school can do more but won’t do it. It’s hard job to lift a special needs student up. They need multi tiered supports. No ABA in the school, no social skills group. Regular classroom teachers are not trained to handle special needs students (if they attend music/arts/ PE). Good teachers are leaving because the pay is not adequate. It’s hard to find a balance. Also private schools for special needs are not good quality wise, but the tuition can be higher than McKay or Gardiner amount (scholarships for special needs in Florida).

Old 07-02-2018, 12:34 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,172,880 times
Cranford has a good program.

Most will go to Orange Ave School (North side of Cranford)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey