Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2015, 02:15 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,283 posts, read 35,812,633 times
Reputation: 5332

Advertisements

Listicles: Top districts/schools, with the top 25 districts at the top, in bold

Sorry the formatting of this link is pretty poor, maybe there's another out there but I'm too lazy.

Some methodology:

Which N.J. School Districts Have The Best Teachers? | Toms River, NJ Patch

Bottom line....

East Orange ranked ahead of Westfield

Some Camden school ranked better than Randolph.

Phillipsburg higher than Millburn.

(I could be comparing Elementary with HS, everything is listed but still).

All of these rankings kill me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 PM
 
10,237 posts, read 19,338,736 times
Reputation: 10911
"All data submitted to the state was self-reported, meaning evaluations were done by administrators and colleagues inside each school building."

NEXT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2015, 05:37 AM
 
4,795 posts, read 4,510,451 times
Reputation: 8568
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
"All data submitted to the state was self-reported, meaning evaluations were done by administrators and colleagues inside each school building."

NEXT!
this! And, let's be real. If a study doesn't list West Windsor Plainsboro it has to be suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2015, 07:31 AM
 
20,395 posts, read 20,063,289 times
Reputation: 13507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Listicles: Top districts/schools, with the top 25 districts at the top, in bold

Sorry the formatting of this link is pretty poor, maybe there's another out there but I'm too lazy.

Some methodology:

Which N.J. School Districts Have The Best Teachers? | Toms River, NJ Patch

Bottom line....

East Orange ranked ahead of Westfield

Some Camden school ranked better than Randolph.

Phillipsburg higher than Millburn.

(I could be comparing Elementary with HS, everything is listed but still).

All of these rankings kill me.
As hard as I tried to sell my wife on settling down and calling Camden "home", due to the outstanding schools, she just wouldn't get on board.

Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2015, 08:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,283 posts, read 35,812,633 times
Reputation: 5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As hard as I tried to sell my wife on settling down and calling Camden "home", due to the outstanding schools, she just wouldn't get on board.

Bummer.
Me too! We're looking to downsize and buy something outright, but my husband for some unknown reason just won't even entertain it. A shame because I really wanted my kids to have Camden High diplomas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2015, 05:27 PM
 
18,320 posts, read 10,797,377 times
Reputation: 8605
I didn't see Millburn on the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 10:02 AM
 
180 posts, read 347,092 times
Reputation: 156
I think it is so funny to see individual towns having newspaper articles written about the excellent job their teacher's did in the rankings.

Is it really so wonderful when EVERY SINGLE town in the state has all their teachers listed as Effective or Highly Effective? What is the point of the rankings at all? Just proves that this is all pretty much a joke........... oh, but we knew that already!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 10:15 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,885,579 times
Reputation: 1623
School for the most part is what you make of it along with the interest that your parents take in your education. Your attitude is what makes it work or not. Seriously, without sounding too cynical, I roll my eyes from time to time about the "Great schools in NJ". While that may be true, I also believe there are great public schools all over the USA, and yet they don't have the criminally insane NJ property taxes to justify their good public school institutions. I see too many people in NJ justifying the insane property taxes they pay in their towns/cities for access to "good schools."

My apologies for this little rant, and if it rubs some people the wrong way. I guess I'm just a jaded NJ resident who has gotten so tired of hearing about great schools in NJ as if one in America just can not obtain a quality education without being soaked by property taxes to justify "Great Schools".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 11:33 AM
 
18,320 posts, read 10,797,377 times
Reputation: 8605
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
School for the most part is what you make of it along with the interest that your parents take in your education. Your attitude is what makes it work or not. Seriously, without sounding too cynical, I roll my eyes from time to time about the "Great schools in NJ". While that may be true, I also believe there are great public schools all over the USA, and yet they don't have the criminally insane NJ property taxes to justify their good public school institutions. I see too many people in NJ justifying the insane property taxes they pay in their towns/cities for access to "good schools."

My apologies for this little rant, and if it rubs some people the wrong way. I guess I'm just a jaded NJ resident who has gotten so tired of hearing about great schools in NJ as if one in America just can not obtain a quality education without being soaked by property taxes to justify "Great Schools".


Yet they are some of the best in the country .I live in Maryland and will tell you that this state is not much different in the tax department ....I even have a rain tax!!!So while it might not be everywhere in NJ you still have better public schools then most states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 PM
 
2,499 posts, read 2,640,380 times
Reputation: 1789
Kansas is allowing high school drop outs to become teachers. It is low tax utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top