Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 15,141 times

Advertisements

Anyone have recommendation for alternate driving route from New Jersey to Florida ? Looking to avoid the VA/DC/MD section of I-95

Was thinking of I-78 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to end up back on I-95 in SC

Any experience with this ? Much longer or other drawbacks ? Appreciate any feedback or recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 02:50 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,293 times
That's typically how I go every time to get to Hilton Head. It's a much nicer drive, far more consistent in terms of travel time, and the higher average speed limit makes the mileage difference much less significant.

Two notes:

- Harrisburg and Charlotte do have some traffic at rush hour, so plan around that a bit.

- If you are planning on staying overnight somewhere, the selection of decent places to stay gets very limited from Blacksburg until you start to hit the Charlotte metro. Plan somewhere to stop ahead of time rather than necessarily expecting to find a decent place (especially with a decent price, vacancy, and not a significant detour from the route) when you get tired.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwhi View Post
Anyone have recommendation for alternate driving route from New Jersey to Florida ? Looking to avoid the VA/DC/MD section of I-95

Any experience with this ? Much longer or other drawbacks ? Appreciate any feedback or recommendations.
That is part of the route I take going back to NJ. 81-78. I would never use I 95.

In miles it's longer, about 80 miles to FL, than the I 95 route and if you hit one of those all too frequent traffic jams in the NJTP and the I 95 loop it can take you much longer time wise.

Keep in mind you always hear of people who take I 95 all the way and never hit traffic.

Just remembered only one toll leaving NJ.

Last edited by PDD; 07-19-2015 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 04:21 PM

122 posts, read 176,620 times
If you go down through Delaware and the eastern shore of MD, you end in Virginia Beach. This bypasses the No.VA/DC/Baltimore area, and it's a pleasant drive.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Thumbs up Your Alternate Route is My Preferred Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwhi View Post
Anyone have recommendation for alternate driving route from New Jersey to Florida? Looking to avoid the VA/DC/MD section of I-95
TWO THUMBS UP! (My preferred route)
1) The last toll you pay on this route is crossing the Delaware River from NJ to PA.
2) As PDD mentioned, the distance is longer than taking I-95 all the way. However, the time is often quicker due to traffic avoidance.
3) Be alert in cold weather: I-81 and I-77 can be treacherous in the winter. Plan around the weather forecast.

Another route that I'm thinking of trying is:
• From NJ, I-78 to I-81 to Winchester, VA. (Exit 313A)
• Then US-17 South from Winchester to Fredericksburg.
• Then back on I-95 from Fredericksburg VA to Florida.
Anyone have experience with this route?

When are you planning your next trip for?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Where in FL are you going to?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 15,141 times
Marco Island

Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM

271 posts, read 566,390 times
I drove down to Florida from NJ in April and it wasn't so bad taking 95. My wife and I did the drive overnight and it was a breeze. We left Bergen county at 9pm and got to Ocala the next day at 1pm. Traffic through VA was minimal at 1am.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 AM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
I drove back from Arlington, VA, yesterday. The exit for I-95 was bumper to bumper, and my trusty iPhone GPS told me to take 301.

It was a beautiful drive. My trip was maybe ten miles longer, but worth not sitting in traffic. 301 takes you out to the eastern shore of Maryland. I went over the Bay Bridge, which is a gorgeous ride over the water, very scenic, with lots of boats and just the beauty of the bay. Then the road goes north up through farm country till you hit Middletown, Delaware, and have to drive down Main Street to get to the next highway, but it's a picturesque little town (and there's a Wawa with coffee and a sandwiches and a restroom.)

Hit some traffic at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which is unavoidable right now because they have a lane closed for construction in both directions. Flew up the Turnpike, over on 195, and then, at the end of my trip, sat for a few minutes in crawling traffic on the Garden State Parkway, two miles before my exit. Shore traffic at almost ten at night! I get off at 105, but some of those poor bastards were going to be sitting in that mess for a while. Glad I moved from North Jersey to Monmouth County, hehehe.

Anyway, that 301 was a nice drive from DC to Delaware, and the road is fast, and much more interesting a view than I-95. I could do 65 - 70 most of the time. One caveat--it IS Maryland's route to their beaches, so take into account what day and what time of day you are traveling. I didn't hit much traffic going north on a Sunday evening, but I noticed there was traffic going south as people were coming home.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,148,141 times
Timely thread. Thank you all! Moving my family from NJ to Florida in August. We're flying but my brother offered to drive our car down (saves us $ especially if I use Horseless Carriage = $1500...). I'll definitely suggest what you guys/gals posted here, including leaving at 9pm. My brother wants to go sightseeing in Charleston, SC so the "drive through the night" method will probably not be an option but good suggestion nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey