Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM

856 posts, read 704,910 times

Advertisements

I am months away from graduating college. In the next 1-3 years (depending on graduate school etc.) I will be in the working world. I love New Jersey for the most part. I have family here, my friends are all here, my entire life is here. I enjoy most of what the state has to offer, my biggest two complaints are the weather (I really dislike winter) and the traffic.

I keep wondering to myself lately, should I stay here long term?

I don't know how much money I'm going to be making long term, but I know that the idea of having to spend at least $375,000 for a home, paying more than $8,000 per year in property taxes, paying some of the nation's highest auto insurance rates, spending more than most neighboring states to heat my home in the winter, paying higher health insurance premiums than most nation wide, paying the 6th highest income tax in the nation, paying one of the highest sales taxes in the nation, the list goes on.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
If you intend to remain in the working class, and there's no career-related reason to stay in New Jersey, you have received the gift at your young age to recognize the reasons why you should...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuONuafxwk

Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I have family here, my friends are all here, my entire life is here.
This is exactly what is going to hold you back. I know so many people that moved away from family and friends to take a job offer, only to move back within a year or two. Honestly, is a job important enough that you would be willing to rarely see any family or friends. Depending on your career it may be something you need to do, even temporarily. But it's something I think most people can't handle long term.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I say give living somewhere else a try. You can always come home.

My daughter graduated in 2013. Her first year after graduating, she lived and worked for a year near where she went to school, upstate New York. Although I miss her terribly, I encouraged her when she said she was taking a job overseas for a year. I have lived in NJ all my life, and I have been with the same employer for 36 years. I wanted her to take the chance and see the world a little. Think about it.

And so...if China appeals to you at all, the wealthier parents are always looking for English teachers for their kids...

Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
I agree, if you can get a job overseas or in another state, now is the good point in your life and career to do this. You will then also have a chance for yourself to see if living close to your family and friends is important to you or not.

Also, I agree that the cost of living in NJ is high. However, it is not higher than in the entire tri state area within reasonable distance from Manhatan. And unfortunately, it is not higher than many other attractive, urban areas in the US that have jobs where young people usually go. With the possible exceptions of Texas and North Carolina.

So congratulations and bets of luck!!! Can you tell us which field you are in?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:02 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
man i just got back from a trip to Denver, look there. Not ridiculously hot temperture, very clean, new metro area, white water rafting (which I did) hiking, trails, wilderness mountains, and the real estate was very affordable (i checked my zillow app in a few places during the trip).

Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I am months away from graduating college. In the next 1-3 years (depending on graduate school etc.) I will be in the working world. I love New Jersey for the most part. I have family here, my friends are all here, my entire life is here. I enjoy most of what the state has to offer, my biggest two complaints are the weather (I really dislike winter) and the traffic.

I keep wondering to myself lately, should I stay here long term?

I don't know how much money I'm going to be making long term, but I know that the idea of having to spend at least $375,000 for a home, paying more than $8,000 per year in property taxes, paying some of the nation's highest auto insurance rates, spending more than most neighboring states to heat my home in the winter, paying higher health insurance premiums than most nation wide, paying the 6th highest income tax in the nation, paying one of the highest sales taxes in the nation, the list goes on.

Thoughts?
Limiting yourself geographically just to stay close to people you already know can hold you back personally and professionally. If I had stayed in NOVA I'd still be living with mommy and daddy in my mid-30s (not that there's anything wrong if it's to the benefit of your finances or other personal situation) and would have missed out on better career opportunities in NYC, not to mention I'd be living perpetually as an adolescent.

I'm visiting my fiancé's extended family; some of whom are single grown adults living with their parents, and it's gotten to the point where one set of parents are going to move out of their apartment away from their adult son so that he can start acting as a normal 40 year old man on his own.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 AM

180 posts, read 344,956 times
It is a tough decision - but if you are going to make a move, do it now while you don't have kids/husband/etc holding you back!

I wanted to move away from NJ in my late 20's but then I got engaged and we had 2 careers, 2 families to deal with. And now kids. And once your parents get older, they start needing help and then it gets tougher to go.

The other thing that makes it tough to leave NJ is everything you have access to here. If you love having the beach, city, mountains, lakes, professional sporting events, theater, great health hospitals, universities, airports, etc etc etc ALL nearby - that is really tough to find in one of the more affordable cities. You may find that in Boston or LA - but not Charlotte, Denver, Houston, etc.

GOOD LUCK. Don't focus so much on the money aspect though - you only live once - so just make sure where ever you go is a place that really feels like "home" to you!!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:07 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I was lucky enough to get a job at 20yrs old where I had to travel the world for most of the year. I didn't have a lot of down time on these trips but at sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time, I got to know some of the people I was working with onsite and they were usually very happy to show me around a bit. I did this for 6 years so I got to go to a LOT of very kewl places.

Ive been to 42 states multiple times from large cities (LA, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta etc) to very small towns. Every major city in Canada, just about every island in the Caribbean and Gulf, Bermuda, every major city in southern England and a few scattered about the north, all over Ireland, all over South Africa and Namibia, even Cairo, Doha and Abu Dhabi.

Im not bragging but it gave me a special perspective of the world and just how lucky I am to live in NJ where everything is at my fingertips. Just about ANYTHING you can think of that you want to do is about 1-2 hours away. ANY outdoor activity depending on the time of year. Then you have NYC, nightlife, great food, music, such diverse cultures all on top of each other, all the different languages and people. I cant imagine living anywhere else but NJ.

Yes I wish it was cheaper but, the reason its not cheap is because of all the well paying jobs and industry we have here. You will be VERY hard pressed to find many people making more than 80k/yr through most of the country. There are MANY towns here where just about everyone for miles around is making more than that as a family.

But you say its a cheaper cost of living in other parts of the country. Not so much really. Gas is about the same or usually more expensive and you have to drive MILES to get anywhere. Food is usually the same (milk, bread, eggs, etc) or more expensive.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I was lucky enough to get a job at 20yrs old where I had to travel the world for most of the year. I didn't have a lot of down time on these trips but at sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time, I got to know some of the people I was working with onsite and they were usually very happy to show me around a bit. I did this for 6 years so I got to go to a LOT of very kewl places.

Ive been to 42 states multiple times from large cities (LA, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta etc) to very small towns. Every major city in Canada, just about every island in the Caribbean and Gulf, Bermuda, every major city in southern England and a few scattered about the north, all over Ireland, all over South Africa and Namibia, even Cairo, Doha and Abu Dhabi.

Im not bragging but it gave me a special perspective of the world and just how lucky I am to live in NJ where everything is at my fingertips. Just about ANYTHING you can think of that you want to do is about 1-2 hours away. ANY outdoor activity depending on the time of year. Then you have NYC, nightlife, great food, music, such diverse cultures all on top of each other, all the different languages and people. I cant imagine living anywhere else but NJ.

Yes I wish it was cheaper but, the reason its not cheap is because of all the well paying jobs and industry we have here. You will be VERY hard pressed to find many people making more than 80k/yr through most of the country. There are MANY towns here where just about everyone for miles around is making more than that as a family.

But you say its a cheaper cost of living in other parts of the country. Not so much really. Gas is about the same or usually more expensive and you have to drive MILES to get anywhere. Food is usually the same (milk, bread, eggs, etc) or more expensive.
Wow, your experience almost mimics mine - I traveled about 48 weeks out of the year for 4 years in my 20's, but mainly in the US. I've been to all but 5 states and have spent significant time (months) in a lot of US cities. I've been to many of the other places you've been (Canada, Europe), but for pleasure. I met a lot of people and saw a lot of cool things and got a pretty good idea of what I wanted in a place to call home. I'm happy where I am. Being a bit older and stable, housing and taxes aren't as much of a big deal to our budget than most, but I do feel for those starting out because it is hard.

When we're older I'd like to spend a month or two somewhere else a year (maybe do an AirBnB short term rental) but I can't see us permanently moving from this area.

To your point about activities: this is the "Summer of Tahiti's Boys" - they've been down the shore a few times, have gone cliff jumping, to a Yankee game, Action Park, tubing on the lake...and they have more on their list. All within a short drive. They are loving it. (just got their licenses)

To the OP: GO. You're young, and now is the time to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: