Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I assume that was a joke about urban dictionary. CJ, there are many reasons why this is the case;
(snip)

I'm laughing about the West Orange mountains (I just got back from the Rockies, the Watchung Ridges only impress me when I'm trying to bike them :-) ), but ditto on pretty much everything here. There's been a bunch of new (expensive) housing at the Livingston edge of town which I think has brought up the schools rating for some of the elementary schools like Mt. Pleasant (though they were already pretty good). I expect as these kids flow through the system we'll see some improvement in rating for the HS as well. I've also noticed some infill or renovation in the Gregory section adjoining South Orange. Certainly hope this all comes to pass as I own property here.

Anyway, commute from W.O. to Broad Street Newark area is pretty good. If you don't want to go onto the highway for whatever reason (like the ramp is backed up) you can head through Orange and East Orange; lots of lights and ugly neighborhoods there but can be less frustrating than the highway sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM

538 posts, read 733,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
S.O. has train service to NYC, so in the last decade property values have increased drastically.

I don't know that I would recommend S.O. to people with children who need access to good school. Maybe schools improved drastically over the last decade, I don't know. Have to your own research.

Another town that is romered to have drastically improved is Mapelwood. I remember it being similar to Union back in the day, what it is now I don't know, but people on these forums seem to post great reviews.
People are moving from the city in droves to South Orange/Maplewood specifically so they can send their kids to public school, so they should be good. It's the same school district so for all intents and purposes SO/Maplewood are the same place. Neighborhoods are contiguous between the two. Maplewood has slightly better 'name recognition' with people in Brooklyn, but I think most people looking in one would look in the other unless they specifically wanted to be on one side of town versus the other (i.e. closer to I78 in Maplewood or Route 280 in South Orange.

Differences are in parking regulations and costs, pool costs, water systems, recycling and amount of gaslights lining the streets. Not exactly major stuff.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is fairly accurate, except that I will say that the commute to Newark from Livingston is very easy if you are driving. I get to Newark in 15 minutes. Of course, this all depends on where in Newark you are talking about, because Newark is very large, and the traffic within newark itself can be very bad. I spent a couple of years working in Newark, so I know the commute pretty well.

The 280 commute has positives as well as negatives. It can have traffic depending on the time of day, but when you are going to Newark, you always have the option of getting off at the 1st avenue exit. This allows you to stay to the left of the highway, bypassing all the traffic, which is all on the right side of the highway. And this doesn't just work for Livingston, but also the other towns you mentioned on the 280 corridor.

Also, when 280 has traffic, for an accident or whatever reason, there are multiple exits where you can get off the highway and take the back roads back to Livingston, The back roads are pretty straightforward and easy to use. Sometimes I even use them when there is not traffic on 280, just for a change of pace.

If you going to the south side of Newark, it takes a little longer. You would take Livingston Ave, which turns into JFK Pkwy, and get onto Rt 24, just past the Short Hills Mall. In my experience, Rt 24 has traffic more often than 280, and is not as easily divertable. But again, this all depends on the time of day you are commuting. This also goes for other towns on the list that are on the Rt 24 corridor.

Oh, and I don't think the school pressure is any more than any of the other top rated schools. I think that goes with the territory, and is not necessarily a bad thing. There is plenty of pressure in life, especially in the professions most parents dream of for their children.
From what we've seen, Livingston is definitely looking like a solid option. Yes, taxes are more being in Essex, but solid home inventory $450k or under. It looks like we're going to lease for a year so the main focus is get a great school district/family town and then find a home. Thanks for the great feedback!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 7,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
People are moving from the city in droves to South Orange/Maplewood specifically so they can send their kids to public school, so they should be good. It's the same school district so for all intents and purposes SO/Maplewood are the same place. Neighborhoods are contiguous between the two. Maplewood has slightly better 'name recognition' with people in Brooklyn, but I think most people looking in one would look in the other unless they specifically wanted to be on one side of town versus the other (i.e. closer to I78 in Maplewood or Route 280 in South Orange.

Differences are in parking regulations and costs, pool costs, water systems, recycling and amount of gaslights lining the streets. Not exactly major stuff.
Right when I feel I'm down to a few choices, the list expands...definitiely practicing a lot of "pray about everything and worry about nothing" :-)

So we're definitely moving, looks like Mid-November or sooner and lease/lease-option for 1 year (ideally around $2500/mo) and then finding a home within same middle school/high school area $450k or below.

Of these towns, based on previously stated desires, which would you now rank as 1 (best) to 10 (worst)

Cedar Knolls
West Orange
Livingston
Caldwell
South Orange
Whippany
Westfield
Scotch Plains
Florham Park
Montville
Towaco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey