Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
i'm actually wondering what people buy at Aldi that is so much better and cheaper than places like Costco, BJs, or Trader Joes, and the regular grocery stores.

Aldi is my go-to place for high-quality dark chocolate made in Germany.
I don't think that you would be able to find 85% cacao dark chocolate of that quality for a lower price anywhere else.

They sometimes have various mustards from Germany, all of high quality, and with astoundingly low prices. At holiday time, they also have a decent selection of pastries and other sweets made in Germany. Their dark-chocolate covered Stollen bites filled with marzipan are excellent.

Just be sure to read labels carefully, as some of their food products come from China .
Believe it or not, some of their Deutsche Kuchen-branded food products come from China, and I will not knowingly eat anything that originates in China.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:09 PM

378 posts, read 587,063 times
I'm with you, Retriever.

FYI: Almost all pine nuts (pigñoli) are sourced from China. So is almost all Ascorbic Acid (synthetic Vitamin C).

Old 12-26-2015, 02:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just be sure to read labels carefully, as some of their food products come from China .
Believe it or not, some of their Deutsche Kuchen-branded food products come from China, and I will not knowingly eat anything that originates in China.

thats not what ming li said.

anyone have any idea whats going into the a&p in holmdel and pathmark in hazlet? i wouldnt mind wegmans moving in. they would seem to be the only one that may be able to compete with shoprite.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:45 AM

343 posts, read 615,258 times
the a&p by newport jersey city was replaced by acme, and it is far better off.

Seafood is actually fresh and edible, not to mention much cheaper. I lost count the times i buy fish fillet from a&p counter only to get home and open it up to get that awful rotten smell and slimy fish, i had to throw away.

Prices over all are also much cheaper and items seem to be higher quality than what a&p offered.

I might actually start going there again (havent gone to a&p for a long time).

Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM

the word is that there may be a wegmans coming to middletown as part of this "shoppes at middletown" that they said is at 35 and kings. im not sure what space is available there for a shoppes but ill try to note it next time i pass.

also, has anyone ever had the ultimate white cake from wegmans? my mother in law bought a little one for my daughter's birthday. it is probably the most yummy cake ive ever had after the carvel ice cream cake. fortunately, my daughter didnt even want one piece of it so most of it went to me.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the word is that there may be a wegmans coming to middletown as part of this "shoppes at middletown" that they said is at 35 and kings. im not sure what space is available there for a shoppes but ill try to note it next time i pass.

also, has anyone ever had the ultimate white cake from wegmans? my mother in law bought a little one for my daughter's birthday. it is probably the most yummy cake ive ever had after the carvel ice cream cake. fortunately, my daughter didnt even want one piece of it so most of it went to me.

That would be awesome. I assumed that's why Shoprite bought Dearborn- to keep Wegmans away from their huge store in hazlet.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
That would be awesome. I assumed that's why Shoprite bought Dearborn- to keep Wegmans away from their huge store in hazlet.
id heard that. definitely seems like a strange purchase.

there is a web site: Shoppes at Middletown |

looks like its by kings highway east

Old 02-13-2016, 09:46 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
I've seen a couple of local Pathmark Supermarkets by me now become an ACME Supermarket. They sell the same stuff. It's gonna be okay. Supermarkets come and go.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:00 PM

323 posts, read 562,149 times
The acme by me is an ex Pathmark, and absolutely nothing has changed. Same exact store, different name.

I shop there, products are good and prices are still the same.. Fair.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM

378 posts, read 587,063 times
The former A&P in New Providence is now an Acme. The Acme is much worse than the former A&P, so much so that I no longer shop there.

Acme is much more--and I hate to use this word--blue-collar than was A&P. Very little premium selection in bakery, seafood, and produce. Yes, the prices are a little lower, but the selection is quite limited.

And the staff seem to have been given the "mean pill." Same staff, worse attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey