Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times

Advertisements

The Pathmart, A&P and Waldbaums union needs to be abolished. The stores are flilthy and run down as salaries and benefits eat up their whole profit margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The Pathmart, A&P and Waldbaums union needs to be abolished. The stores are flilthy and run down as salaries and benefits eat up their whole profit margin.
When Pathmark was Pathmark, before A&P, they managed to have nice, clean stores. The store brands were good quality. Bad management doesn't mean that the unions are to blame.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 AM

155 posts, read 303,256 times
I don't know if this is a reason but it seems to me like more and more people are shopping at a combo of stores (Costco, TJs, Whole Foods, etc) rather than just making a weekly trip to the local market. I know I personally love my Shop Rite but I'll do my food shopping wherever is most convenient for me on that day. I've been going to Aldi a lot lately too and notice huge savings there.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:55 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I don't know if this is a reason but it seems to me like more and more people are shopping at a combo of stores (Costco, TJs, Whole Foods, etc) rather than just making a weekly trip to the local market. I know I personally love my Shop Rite but I'll do my food shopping wherever is most convenient for me on that day. I've been going to Aldi a lot lately too and notice huge savings there.
That's what I usually do, since we seem to be in a supermarket desert here in NJ. Pathmark, A&P, and especially Stop & Shop are abominations. Some Shop-Rites are OK, but I can't take the crowds, life-threatening parking, and just general savagery that permeate most of them. (Although their online shopping service is good and often has coupons.)

So, I go to Market Basket in Franklin Lakes for deli and baked goods (prepared foods, meat, and produce there are crazy expensive), Corrado's in Wayne for meat, produce and prepared foods (their bakery is lousy), Trader Joe's for frozen foods, cheap nuts and dairy, Aldi's for dirt-cheap staples, and CVS for soda and toilet paper. Sometimes I'll substitute Maywood Market for Corrado's, and when I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll make a trip to Stew Leonard's in Yonkers (which is WAY cheaper than Fairway these days.) This way I get the best of all worlds at reasonable prices.

And going to all of those places still takes less time than one typical Shop-Rite trip.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM

122 posts, read 176,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Super G was a division of Giant of Landover. When it failed the Delaware stores became Giant (Landover), the PA stores became Giant of Carlisle, & South Jersey stores became Stop & Shop which failed very quickly. Giant of Landover was very similar to Pathmark & would have done well.
The bolded is incorrect. Those unionized stores were divested to other owners or closed, and weren't integrated into Giant-Carlisle. Giant-Carlisle did acquire some Clemens stores and Genuardi's stores more recently, but those stores were not unionized.

Today, Giant-Landover and Stop&Shop are just banner name differences, but supposedly equal in terms of quality and products. Maybe I'm wrong on that as I don't frequent either chain, and I hear that quality has declined.

Last edited by marltonguy; 07-22-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM

255 posts, read 455,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

And going to all of those places still takes less time than one typical Shop-Rite trip.
I highly doubt that.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
That's what I usually do, since we seem to be in a supermarket desert here in NJ. Pathmark, A&P, and especially Stop & Shop are abominations. Some Shop-Rites are OK, but I can't take the crowds, life-threatening parking, and just general savagery that permeate most of them. (Although their online shopping service is good and often has coupons.)

So, I go to Market Basket in Franklin Lakes for deli and baked goods (prepared foods, meat, and produce there are crazy expensive), Corrado's in Wayne for meat, produce and prepared foods (their bakery is lousy), Trader Joe's for frozen foods, cheap nuts and dairy, Aldi's for dirt-cheap staples, and CVS for soda and toilet paper. Sometimes I'll substitute Maywood Market for Corrado's, and when I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll make a trip to Stew Leonard's in Yonkers (which is WAY cheaper than Fairway these days.) This way I get the best of all worlds at reasonable prices.

are you an old lady? i visit shoprite in hazlet and its pretty busy but I have never had a problem where my life was in danger in the parking lot.

it also doesnt take me much more time to shop there than any other place. its large so i can probably do aldi faster but shoprite does have a much greater variety of products.

i do shop at multiple places. shoprite tends to have the best sales on a weekly basis so they are the standard supermarket that i use most. however, these days i make more trips to aldi. some other stuff I go to costco.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:38 PM

38 posts, read 56,805 times
I wonder if the fact that Whole Foods is coming to Metuchen is a factor in closing the A&P in Edison?
I don't shop there much, its a little neighborhood store, but rather expensive, and limited in the selections.

As for Stop & Shop, I used to think the same way, ( expensive, cold, austere, all packaged veges & fruits, blah)
but Ive gone a few times recently and its not that bad. Certainly is easy to park there!
If you know what the prices are, you can get some good buys. Their store brands are not bad, and their dog cookies are ok.much less than Milk Bone. lol

Id like a Trader Joes in Edison, that would be great. WE only have one in Westfield, too far to go on a regular basis.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
The bolded is incorrect. Those unionized stores were divested to ShopRite owners or closed, and weren't integrated into Giant-Carlisle. Giant-Carlisle did acquire some Clemens stores and Genuardi's stores more recently, but those stores were not unionized.

Today, Giant-Landover and Stop&Shop are just banner name differences, but supposedly equal in terms of quality and products. Maybe I'm wrong on that as I don't frequent either chain, and I hear that quality has declined.
Well, since the Super G banner was a division of Giant of Landover that would be more likely to be a reason to to not turn PA Super Gs into Giant of Landover than a union. Once they shut down the store it can go to anybody. When Pathmark shut down the Brace Road store in Cherry Hill it was taken over by a non-union discount dump, even though Pathmark still retained the lease.

Not moving Giant of Landover into South Jersey at the time that Super G was closed was sheer stupidity.

As to the Ahold/Delhaize merger, that probably won't have a significant effect on anyone north of the Richmond, unless they decide to move the Hannaford banner south into the MidAtlantic.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM

122 posts, read 176,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, since the Super G banner was a division of Giant of Landover that would be more likely to be a reason to to not turn PA Super Gs into Giant of Landover than a union. Once they shut down the store it can go to anybody. When Pathmark shut down the Brace Road store in Cherry Hill it was taken over by a non-union discount dump, even though Pathmark still retained the lease.

Not moving Giant of Landover into South Jersey at the time that Super G was closed was sheer stupidity.
I think Wegmans was a big factor for Ahold to pull it's Stop&Shop division out of South Jersey. Wegmans was open for a short time in Mt. Laurel where Ahold had 2 stores, and in CH, where there is overlap with one, and Ahold panicked upon Wegmans entry, and felt selling to Wakefern/ShopRite made the most sense. On hindsight, even if those SuperG stores were converted to Giant by banner name, it would be the same result with them eventually pulling out because of the Wegmans factor.

Because of union issues, Ahold can't even convert the Delaware Giant(s) from Landover to the more profitable Carlisle division, even as Northern and Central Delaware falls in the Philly TV market where Giant-Carlisle advertises. Unless it wants unionization in Giant-Carlisle, which it clearly does not want. It wants to keep that division separate from Giant-Landover/Stop&Shop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant-Carlisle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_%...Giant-Landover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey