Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,472,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I was surprised to see that Holmdel A&P on the list - that one is probably one of the nicest in the state.
they renovated it at some point to help it remain competitive but there is just too much competition in the area.

i found an article, looks like they spent millions in 2008 on the renovation.

A&P Opens "European-Style" Market in New Jersey - Profiles & Trends - Gourmet Retailer Magazine | Gourmet Retailers | Specialty Retail | Specialty Food News and Research

about 2 years ago that hazlet shoprite opened up, which put a&p holmdel 2 miles in both directions from a shoprite. it was a cruel cruel joke.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Shop...40.4191478!3e0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM

122 posts, read 175,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
C-Town, wow. I haven't heard that name in a while, and yes, it's about as ghetto as you can get. There was a Key Food near our apartment in Manhattan. I swear they must've bought the grocery equivalent of seconds.

I'd love to see Weis come to Central NJ. They've got (most all of them) great bakery and deli sections, and their Weis-brand foods are top notch. I actually prefer their cheeses to a lot of name brands.
Weis opened in Hillsborough which would be its first Central NJ space. I wondered if it could open in Monmouth Junction in a former Stop&Shop off Route 1. That plaza seemed to be a good space with Home Depot as another tenant. I'm not sure if there is too much surrounding grocery competition however.

I don't know Weis if it wants to compete in deep ShopRite territory furthering into NJ, but it did go into Norristown and Conshocken, where Giant-Carlisle is strong, and there is a ShopRite, albeit not a good one where its easier to compete against.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 AM

155 posts, read 298,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
Weis opened in Hillsborough which would be its first Central NJ space. I wondered if it could open in Monmouth Junction in a former Stop&Shop off Route 1. That plaza seemed to be a good space with Home Depot as another tenant. I'm not sure if there is too much surrounding grocery competition however.

I don't know Weis if it wants to compete in deep ShopRite territory furthering into NJ, but it did go into Norristown and Conshocken, where Giant-Carlisle is strong, and there is a ShopRite, albeit not a good one where its easier to compete against.

I don't think Weis can compete! I was going to the one in Hillsborough when they had the $10 off a $75 purchase but they just don't have nearly the volume and variety that Shop Rite has. I was so excited for them to open but it's really just another regular grocery store--nothing fancy

Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I don't think Weis can compete! I was going to the one in Hillsborough when they had the $10 off a $75 purchase but they just don't have nearly the volume and variety that Shop Rite has. I was so excited for them to open but it's really just another regular grocery store--nothing fancy
Agreed. Weis is the closest store to me and it is clean, bright and the deli/produce is good, but selection is pretty poor. Prices aren't that great either. Our ShopRite (right across the street) is nothing to write home about but kicks Weis' a** in nearly every category, and crowd differential at both stores proves it.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM

19,038 posts, read 25,123,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
As I see it, the only advantage of that Weis market in Hillsborough is that you can easily park very close to the building, as a result of them not having many customers.

The Shop-Rite in Hillsborough has good prices, but is undersized in comparison to most modern supermarkets today, is poorly-lit, and as a result it does not provide a very pleasing shopping experience. The Stop & Shop next door to the Shop-Rite is NOT clean, and--like all S & S markets, its prices are ridiculous.

As just one example of the price disparity, a small container of NJ blueberries is selling at S & S for $3.88, while the same size and brand of NJ blueberries costs $2.99 at Wegmans, $2.49 at Trader Joe's, and $1.99 at Aldi. (I haven't checked Shop-Rite's price within the last week or so, but I am quite sure that it is a competitive price.)

When that Weis market first opened and they were offering huge price reductions, there were a lot of customers. Now...not so much. If they can't compete successfully against an unclean, overpriced Stop & Shop or a small-ish, dingy-looking Shop-Rite, then they are obviously doing something wrong.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they renovated it at some point to help it remain competitive but there is just too much competition in the area.

i found an article, looks like they spent millions in 2008 on the renovation.

A&P Opens "European-Style" Market in New Jersey - Profiles & Trends - Gourmet Retailer Magazine | Gourmet Retailers | Specialty Retail | Specialty Food News and Research

about 2 years ago that hazlet shoprite opened up, which put a&p holmdel 2 miles in both directions from a shoprite. it was a cruel cruel joke.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Shop...40.4191478!3e0
Meanwhile the A&P near me is garbage and is not slated to close, even though Shop Rite destroys it. Go figure.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As I see it, the only advantage of that Weis market in Hillsborough is that you can easily park very close to the building, as a result of them not having many customers.

The Shop-Rite in Hillsborough has good prices, but is undersized in comparison to most modern supermarkets today, is poorly-lit, and as a result it does not provide a very pleasing shopping experience. The Stop & Shop next door to the Shop-Rite is NOT clean, and--like all S & S markets, its prices are ridiculous.

As just one example of the price disparity, a small container of NJ blueberries is selling at S & S for $3.88, while the same size and brand of NJ blueberries costs $2.99 at Wegmans, $2.49 at Trader Joe's, and $1.99 at Aldi. (I haven't checked Shop-Rite's price, but I am quite sure that it is a competitive price.)

When that Weis market first opened and they were offering huge price reductions, there were a lot of customers. Now...not so much. If they can't compete successfully against an unclean, overpriced Stop & Shop or a small-ish, dingy-looking Shop-Rite, then they are obviously doing something wrong.

My SIL was excited when she heard about the Weis opening (she lives in Montgomery). I told her "really, it's no big deal and you're not going to like it". She went, and agreed.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,096,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Weis is generally atrocious, don't expect it to improve. People where I lived in Upstate NY would drive 30 minutes out of their way to get to Wegmans or Price Chopper rather than shop at Weis.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:16 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,123,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Weis is generally atrocious, don't expect it to improve. People where I lived in Upstate NY would drive 30 minutes out of their way to get to Wegmans or Price Chopper rather than shop at Weis.

My brother and SIL live in NE PA, where Weis is the dominant supermarket chain. Obviously they have little choice but to patronize the local Weis market, but about once a week they drive a fair distance to NJ in order to shop at both Shop-Rite and Costco. Since doing this saves them money--even after factoring gas and tolls into the cost structure--that tells you how overpriced Weis markets really are.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:41 PM

122 posts, read 175,283 times
Another chain that is slowly adding in the north is Mom's Organic Markets.
http://www.momsorganicmarket.com/

They are based in the Washington DC region, but they opened a store in Bryn Mawr, PA and plan on one in Philadelphia.

I emailed them and asked them about Cherry Hill area, and I got a reply that they have interest. But as Whole Foods is there, maybe not. But maybe they'll consider Central and Northern NJ growth as it's more dense and there are more opportunities with the A&P closures.

It wouldn't hurt to send them an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey