Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:48 PM

856 posts, read 704,783 times

Advertisements

What is everyone's opinion of Riverdale, NJ?

Curious. They seem to have low taxes there. Is it considered a nice town to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 04:16 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
"Nice" is a relative term. If I needed a place to live and the right deal was available, I'd move there!
• Kind of "busy" with the intersection of major road networks.
• Reasonably good schools.
• Morris County town bordering Passaic County, where taxes are higher.
• Flooding is more of an inconvenience — prominent along Route 23 southward and in neighboring Pompton Lakes.
In Riverdale, stay away from the water and you'll be fine. What part of town are you looking in?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:03 PM

472 posts, read 812,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
"Nice" is a relative term. If I needed a place to live and the right deal was available, I'd move there!
• Flooding is more of an inconvenience — prominent along Route 23 southward and in neighboring Pompton Lakes.
In Riverdale, stay away from the water and you'll be fine. What part of town are you looking in?
This. ^^

Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Can't emphasize enough the importance of doing your research on flooding. The flood zones there tend to get hit hard and often, but as long as you're not by the water you'll be ok.

The overall town is pretty nice though. Pretty convenient in terms of most commuting as well.

And yeah, Morris County taxes are so much cheaper than Passaic's.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 12,387 times
I agree with the guy above.

Since Hurricane Sandy, flood maps have been "revised." (surprise surprise).

So if you are surveying a town for a potential move, save yourself the headache - see if it's within or close to flood lines. Because if it's near, not worth it. It may be a flood town later.

THEN you are paying (or donating) to the flood cause...and honestly it's money out the window. They barely pay you for what's damaged. So honestly...not even worth it. I know because I paid it for 5 years...then Sandy hit and my claim was denied. I got some money to replace my water tank...all else - nothing. So I had to redo my basement...which was way more than my water heater. I'm thankful that that was it...but flood insurance can be a joke.

You are better taking that money and using it for home improvements in a non flood town purchase.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 12,387 times
And anything with a "River" in it - RIVERdale...RIVERedge...just assume you will be meeting the water one day. so keep it moving. LOLOL

Old 08-04-2015, 12:13 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
What is everyone's opinion of Riverdale, NJ?

Curious. They seem to have low taxes there. Is it considered a nice town to live?
Years ago there was a dive bar there called "Bullwinkle's". It had a big stuffed moose head on the wall. Alas, it was demolished and now there's a parking lot there. That's my best memory of Riverdale.

Years later, as a Girl Scout leader, Riverdale was the location of the Lenni-Lenape Council's headquarters so where I had to go for training and to buy stuff.

Nice town, small and quiet. Slightly out of the reach of the main NYC commuting areas.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,152 times
I have been hearing about Riverdale more and more in the last few years. I know 2 people that moved there and are very happy and have no plans to move at this point. They were drawn to the fact that it is safe, quiet, has low taxes, decent schools and is easy to get to 287, 23, 46 and 80.
There was a new upscale development built not to long ago and there is the potential for nicer homes to be built in the area which would be good for home values. A friend of mine is in construction and said the low taxes are a draw for building new homes.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Years ago there was a dive bar there called "Bullwinkle's". It had a big stuffed moose head on the wall. Alas, it was demolished and now there's a parking lot there. That's my best memory of Riverdale....
Are you suggesting that "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...Nice town, small and quiet. Slightly out of the reach of the main NYC commuting areas.
Bus 194 to Manhattan in an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
I have been hearing about Riverdale more and more in the last few years. I know 2 people that moved there and are very happy and have no plans to move at this point. They were drawn to the fact that it is safe, quiet, has low taxes, decent schools and is easy to get to 287, 23, 46 and 80. There was a new upscale development built not to long ago and there is the potential for nicer homes to be built in the area which would be good for home values. A friend of mine is in construction and said the low taxes are a draw for building new homes.
Yes, most of the 21st Century development has been in Riverdale's hills as opposed to the older "flats" section. Much of it was originally intended to be age-restricted housing (55+) but restrictions we removed when developers realized that due to the changing economy, the project was better suited for yuppies than seniors. Today, it's a nice place to live for either.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
To be fair I take the 194 from Wayne(which is 10 minutes closer) and I hardly ever make it in an hour. I'd say 1:15 on the bus from Riverdale is more realistic with a likely door to desk of 1:30-1:45

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 09-12-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey