Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times

Advertisements

Yeah, this is just some bad legislating leading to a trap. 39:4-86 makes it illegal to cross a "No Passing" line, but it's clear this wasn't intended to apply to left and U-turns, just overtaking. But it's against the letter of the law so you're screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:54 AM

47 posts, read 147,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, this is just some bad legislating leading to a trap. 39:4-86 makes it illegal to cross a "No Passing" line, but it's clear this wasn't intended to apply to left and U-turns, just overtaking. But it's against the letter of the law so you're screwed.
That's what I am afraid of. I am just going to ask for the 0 points deal, pay it, and then move on.

Here's the kicker. When the cop pulled me over and I gave him all of my information, I gave him the wrong insurance card. I had the right one in my glove compartment but I gave him an expired one by mistake since they all look the same. He looked at it quickly and gave it back without issue. The guy didn't even care. He just wanted to screw me that day. The worst thing is that I can't even do anything about it except take the pain.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:58 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
There's typically a public defender appointed to you.
You do realize that there are rules to qualify for a public defender including being able to prove that you can't afford a private attorney.

Last edited by exhdo1; 08-14-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
[quote=metallic07039;40818878]That's what I am afraid of. I am just going to ask for the 0 points deal, pay it, and then move on.

Here's the kicker. When the cop pulled me over and I gave him all of my information, I gave him the wrong insurance card. I had the right one in my glove compartment but I gave him an expired one by mistake since they all look the same. He looked at it quickly and gave it back without issue. The guy didn't even care. He just wanted to screw me that day. The worst thing is that I can't even do anything about it except take the pain

When you say the police officer didn't care after looking at your expired insurance card, do you mean he acknowledged that it was expired or just missed that it was?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07039 View Post
I did a u-turn to get a parking space and a cop caught me because he was writing someone else a ticket near by. I stupidly didn't even think that he would care; it never even registered with me. Ugh!

This ticket would hit me with 1 point and my insurance would inevitably go up. I am planning on going to court and plead not guilty.

Any suggestions? Many years ago (when I first got my license) I got a ticket for careless driving, but I was able to go to court to talk to the prosecutor and get the point removed for a higher fine. Any advice on doing the same thing here? I've never got any offenses except minor parking tickets since (which I've paid).
Forget it. I've gone through similar and lines of people have too. Just pay the fine, you will be wasting your time going to court. NJ today is a fly on a peach when it comes to traffic violation revenue.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
You violated traffic laws right in front of a cop and expect to be let off easy because it's only a minor offense?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07039 View Post
I didn't see any vehicle at that moment, but I could be wrong. The road wasn't all the busy at that moment. It was just a normal u-turn. On the ticket the cop even wrote "crossing double yellow lines" in the box for "other traffic/parking offense (describe)".

Obviously... You didn't see any other vehicles including .... the cop car. So you made an illegal u-turn and ....crossed a double yellow to accomplish it?
Next time do what I do... Before he reaches your window unbutton the top two buttons of your shirt, Give him your best smile, admit you make a mistake and... Ask if perhaps he'd consider giving you a little spanking in lieu of a ticket.
( Never cry).

Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
We are all so conditioned. Double lines are meant to be crossed and police officers are not to waste their time on traffic matters. We are all, including me, slaves of their economic terrorism.

When you go to court you will wait your turn for them to tell you how much money to give them to set you free. We are all enslaved by their crime of robbing working productive people. Enough soapbox.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:

police officers are not to waste their time on traffic matters
Just let the drivers settle it on the side of the road by beating the crap ,out of each other. You seem to9 think by constantly writing that same drivel it will start to make sense.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Just let the drivers settle it on the side of the road by beating the crap ,out of each other. You seem to9 think by constantly writing that same drivel it will start to make sense.
That's right. Rather than focusing on traffic violations, Hoboken cops should be out patrolling for drunk 22 year olds vomiting and urinating on city streets. That's a bigger hazard than some guy making an illegal u-turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: