Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 14,556 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the replies. It does not look easy. But we already have a nanny, we will probably have a live in eventually there. We spoke with the learning experience which is the private care (before and after) there and it starts from 6:30 am and runs till 7:00pm.

I completely feel the same with some of the comments that as long as my husband is there at ww , it looks doable. No one however can know about jobs now a days, nothing is permanent.

I will probably be taking the 7 am train if we decide to go there. I can work from home in inclement weather when there is heavy snow or something, so can my husband. We both have remote access. However I would give it a good thought before we actually move. (Private schools are not in our budget and we will always needs at least a part time nanny if we were to both continue working)

If anyone has used nannies , please give some feedback about reliable nannies.

Regards,
P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I have known several moms who have done the commute. As Koala says, it is difficult but you have the advantage of having one parent in the neighbourhood.

A lot of the Day Cares in the neighborhood have agreements with the district and bus the kids there for early closings etc. And there is early morning and after school care at all of the elementary schools.

Is it ideal? Absolutely not. What you have to decide is what you are comfortable with. Is the school district worth the effort? Is your child adaptable?
We used all the resourses of the community while we where both working and a child in elementary school.
Only you and your SO can make this decision.

Jerseyj,

Is the school district really worth the effort? We cannot send our kid to private school, they are way beyond our budget. And where we live now in jersey city, the schools are well below par. School district is probably the most important reason. So I do want to know if the ratings matter.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:44 AM

264 posts, read 606,069 times
WW-Plainsboro schools are well rated and I have only heard good things from friends there. However it is the NYC commute that prevents me from moving there. As a working mom, i know the dilemma well. My alternative choice would be Edison/Metropark area. If your husband works locally in WW, go for it. It is again a very rare convenience that one parent gets to work and live in the same town.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka0107 View Post
JerseyJ, Thank you for your reply. Gives me some hope. I am yet to meet a woman( a mom) who does this commute .
Someone in my office does a similar commute and she's a mother. Not sure where she lives--Hamilton, I think. However, we're downtown, so she switches at Newark and takes PATH to WTC.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
WW-Plainsboro schools are well rated and I have only heard good things from friends there. However it is the NYC commute that prevents me from moving there. As a working mom, i know the dilemma well. My alternative choice would be Edison/Metropark area. If your husband works locally in WW, go for it. It is again a very rare convenience that one parent gets to work and live in the same town.
Hi can you tell me something about Dutch Neck elementary? It seems there is a negative opinion about it

Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM

Hi everyone, does anyone know about dutch neck elementary in ww? There seems to be general negative opinion about it, we found a beautiful home we like it a lot, but I fear the dutch neck is not as good as Maurice Hawk.Please help.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Don't worry about the minor differences in the elementary schools in West Windsor/Plainsboro, they are all very good.

The bigger differences are with the High Schools. Not so much the academics but
the physical structures of the schools. Kids from Dutch Neck Elementary go HSS or HSN depending on the neighbourhood you live in.

HS south was opened in 1973 and was the States' first open plan HS. There are large areas in the school where multiple classes meet simultaneously.

HS north opened in 1997 and is a conventional school design.

The Dutch Neck area of WW is very popular and has a nice neighbourhood feel.

Last edited by jerseyj; 08-19-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Hi JerseyJ, thanks a lot. It is just that the my source is wwptoday.com
The incident that hovered over my head is the stealing episode and it was very concerning. hence I wanted review from a parent who have been sending their kid(s) to Dutch neck.
Such an incident can destroy a child's confidence and traumatize them for ever.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I know lot's of people who attended Dutch Neck. The elementary schools are all the same in terms of quality and environment.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
HS south was opened in 1973 and was the States' first open plan HS. There are large areas in the school where multiple classes meet simultaneously.
They've put up pseudo walls to separate the areas into classrooms. It's not as open as it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey