Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,495 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering purchasing a home in Glen Rock. We love the town and all that it offers to its residents. The one question we have is around the trains that run through the town. The home we are looking at backs up against the train track. We heard a few of the commuter trains run by and it didn't seem too bad, but just found out that freight trains also ride on these tracks. Can any current residents provide their feedback as to the noise near the tracks and how annoying (or not annoying) the freight trains are, and how often they run? Also does anyone happen to know what these freight trains carry through the town? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
I can say it was a deal breaker for me when I was in the exact same situation. I looked at 2 houses in Glen Rock both on the tracks. The one was obvious as it was right by where they blow the horn when coming into the station, no chance. The 2nd had trains coming through every 30 minutes during rush hour and hourly off peak, I could never "get used to" that. Especially when paying Glen Rock prices and Glen Rock taxes.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I can say it was a deal breaker for me when I was in the exact same situation. I looked at 2 houses in Glen Rock both on the tracks. The one was obvious as it was right by where they blow the horn when coming into the station, no chance. The 2nd had trains coming through every 30 minutes during rush hour and hourly off peak, I could never "get used to" that. Especially when paying Glen Rock prices and Glen Rock taxes.
The horns (or bells for lowering crossing gates) would be incredibly annoying. I might be able to get used to the actual train/track noise.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
I had a friend that lived up in Harlem near the elevated 1 train around 125th St. It's surprising what people can get used to. Whenever the Subway would pass when I was over I'd ask 'how can you deal with that' and she wouldn't even register it!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 PM

108 posts, read 152,203 times
Although not the same as a train, I lived in a house for several years right next to the Ocean Ave/Shark River drawbridge. Each time the bridge was raised or lowered, bells would ring. It bothered me for the first week or so but after that, I never heard it.

Also, I know someone who purchased a house in Shrewsbury very close to the NJ Transit train tracks and he says his property taxes are reduced by 1/3 because of the location. You might want to consult NJ Transit.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
Generally taxes are reduced if you back onto tracks so you'll get more house/yard for your budget.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Do the trains run through there all night? During the day I assume you will be at work and won't hear the trains, and during the 6 or 7 months out of the year when your windows will be closed you probably won't hear anything either. As far as the train whistle, I could see that being annoying depending on where you are located in relation to the whistle. I can hear train whistles from 2 miles away where I live. On a related note, I know people who live in the flight path of a major airport and they told me they don't even notice the planes roaring overhead.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
I would not buy a house like that. Commuter trains run every fifteen/twenty minutes during rush hour. From what I know, the freight trains are very infrequent and in general are less of a concern. If someone is home during the rush hour every day, I think they might develop a hearing problem. Especially small kids. Also keep in mind, believe it or not, that both Main and Bergen county lines are not electrified. The trains are pushed/pulled by diesel burning locomotives which means you will also be smelling some fumes.

If you are considering buying a house like this, I would make sure that it is significantly cheaper than similar houses away from the tracks. And I would plant a mini forest on the property to shield you from the train.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Also keep in mind, believe it or not, that both Main and Bergen county lines are not electrified. The trains are pushed/pulled by diesel burning locomotives which means you will also be smelling some fumes.
That's a good point. I forgot that area is diesel. If the house is in an area where the train is accelerating the fumes will likely be a lot worse than if the train is just rolling by. It may also be worthwhile to talk to some of the people that currently live in that neighborhood. This time of year you'll likely find people outside, so it's not even like you would have to go knocking on doors.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM

42 posts, read 129,872 times
It all depends on your tolerance of noises. Also, depends on what street, and where the house is located. The freight trains are very infrequent, 1 or 2 a day, and they are not long trains at all. There is no oil transported on those lines. The NJT diesel trains do not emit enough fumes to even notice at all. I do think it is good advice to go talk to the neighbors, and visit the neighborhood you are looking at. The trains are required by law to sound the horn 4x at the at-grade crossings, and the horns are ver loud. Also, trains run from 5:30am until 2:30am, if you were wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey