Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
So they only care about safety between 2am and 5am when parking is not allowed? What about the other 21 hours of the day when parking is allowed? It has nothing to do with safety. These are old antiquated laws that stay on the books because they are huge revenue generators for the town. Most of these are suburban towns where the cops have nothing else to do other than write tickets, and more often than not it's the taxpayers getting ticketed right in front of their own home.

In my neighborhood almost all the houses have only a single car width driveway. So my wife and I are constantly shuffling our cars back and forth every day depending on when we get home or who is leaving first in the morning. It's incredibly annoying.
I like it because it keeps people from storing their cars on the street instead of in their driveways and garages. I have a feeling without the laws, the streets would be filled with parked cars all the time. I think it looks much nicer, cleaner, and less city-like without all those parked cars out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 PM

53 posts, read 107,434 times
There have been many replies with useful information on towns enforcing these nice parking codes

Thanks a lot everyone !!!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 PM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagamine View Post
Hello NJ Forum,

We've been looking for a town with good school, reasonable tax and less than 100 minutes commute to downtown NYC (FIDI), our budget is 700~800k, and we're looking for a house with 4 ~ 5 bedrooms, ideally with a pool.

(Right now we live in an amazing place where we’re paying close to 11k tax for our small house on a tiny 1800 sqft lot, for the benefit of absolute terrible schools and hellish traffic all the time... and our house is close to a nice-looking drug-dealer occupied park where a 18 year old got shot in the back months ago )...

In the past a few months we’ve looked at Livingston, Holmdel, West Windsor and Montgomery.

Due to some bad experiences with random people parking their semi-abandoned car (a registered/inspected ugly dirty car parking in front of your house and poking into your driveway for weeks until it’s gone one day morning then come back again in the evening and sit there for another month) in front of our houses for years (we don’t own the street so we can’t prevent people parking in front of our house….but we do leave notes when they poked into our driveway too much), we prefer a town with well-enforced strict street parking codes that prohibits over-night street parking..

Holmdel appears to be the winner here - per to Holmdel 976 Code §§ 74-24, 74-41; Ord. No. 17-76; Ord. No. 2000-13 § I:

No person shall park a vehicle between the hours specified on any day (except Sundays and public holidays) upon any of the streets or parts of streets described. (1976 Code §§ 74-24, 74-41; Ord. No. 17-76; Ord. No. 2000-13 § I)

Name of Street: All Streets
Side: Both
Hours Between: 2:00 a.m and 5:00 a.m

(The above code was found at ClerkBase - Building Trust through Transparency )

Could someone from Holmdel please confirm that the above parking code is being well enforced in Holmdel? Also do you see residents always park their cars on the street with their driveway being completely empty ? (A lot home owners do this in our current town...)

Also we were told by a realtor from Livingston that over-night parking is not allowed on streets in Livingston, can someone please confirm if it’s true?

Thanks
Almost all of the towns in Northwest Bergen County have a similar ordinance, and often that's how you know you've crossed a town line--by the sign so stating.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 PM

19 posts, read 46,362 times
You may want to look at Glen Ridge as well-good commute into city, great schools and the parking ordinance is there too I believe.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I like it because it keeps people from storing their cars on the street instead of in their driveways and garages. I have a feeling without the laws, the streets would be filled with parked cars all the time. I think it looks much nicer, cleaner, and less city-like without all those parked cars out there.
My street is filled with cars all day, then everyone moves them by 2am, and then the street is filled up again by 7am the next day. So the law isn't helping a bit here.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My street is filled with cars all day, then everyone moves them by 2am, and then the street is filled up again by 7am the next day. So the law isn't helping a bit here.
That's weird. Do you live close to stores and restaurants or something? It makes no sense for residents to park there when they know they will have to move their cars back and forth. Seems like a lot of work when you have your own driveway to park on. Is it possible to widen your driveway so you can fit 2 cars side by side?

Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Got ticketed my first day in West Orange because of this; moving van was in my driveway, so where the f--- am I supposed to park (not our problem, sayeth the town fathers). Most of the towns around here seem to have this rule.
Is Mountain Ave in W.O. an exception? It seems like there are always a lot of cars parked there in the early morning hours.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's weird. Do you live close to stores and restaurants or something? It makes no sense for residents to park there when they know they will have to move their cars back and forth. Seems like a lot of work when you have your own driveway to park on. Is it possible to widen your driveway so you can fit 2 cars side by side?
My street is completely residential. But as I mentioned before all the driveways in my neighborhood are single lane. So people park in the street during the day to avoid having to shuffle their cars every time someone goes out. Unfortunately there is not enough clearance to widen the driveways.

From what I've heard, Mountain Ave. is a county road which makes it exempt from the town parking rules.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 AM

255 posts, read 455,371 times
Let's call it what it is : a completely asinine rule that is only needed in the small percentage of places in the state with a crime problem. Obviously a combination of a complete money-grab by police and the need of residents to convince themselves they live in an elite town where too many people take themselves way too seriously.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 AM

255 posts, read 455,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagamine View Post
Hello NJ Forum,

We've been looking for a town with good school, reasonable tax and less than 100 minutes commute to downtown NYC (FIDI), our budget is 700~800k, and we're looking for a house with 4 ~ 5 bedrooms, ideally with a pool.

(Right now we live in an amazing place where we’re paying close to 11k tax for our small house on a tiny 1800 sqft lot, for the benefit of absolute terrible schools and hellish traffic all the time... and our house is close to a nice-looking drug-dealer occupied park where a 18 year old got shot in the back months ago )...

In the past a few months we’ve looked at Livingston, Holmdel, West Windsor and Montgomery.

Due to some bad experiences with random people parking their semi-abandoned car (a registered/inspected ugly dirty car parking in front of your house and poking into your driveway for weeks until it’s gone one day morning then come back again in the evening and sit there for another month) in front of our houses for years (we don’t own the street so we can’t prevent people parking in front of our house….but we do leave notes when they poked into our driveway too much), we prefer a town with well-enforced strict street parking codes that prohibits over-night street parking..

Holmdel appears to be the winner here - per to Holmdel 976 Code §§ 74-24, 74-41; Ord. No. 17-76; Ord. No. 2000-13 § I:

No person shall park a vehicle between the hours specified on any day (except Sundays and public holidays) upon any of the streets or parts of streets described. (1976 Code §§ 74-24, 74-41; Ord. No. 17-76; Ord. No. 2000-13 § I)

Name of Street: All Streets
Side: Both
Hours Between: 2:00 a.m and 5:00 a.m

(The above code was found at ClerkBase - Building Trust through Transparency )

Could someone from Holmdel please confirm that the above parking code is being well enforced in Holmdel? Also do you see residents always park their cars on the street with their driveway being completely empty ? (A lot home owners do this in our current town...)

Also we were told by a realtor from Livingston that over-night parking is not allowed on streets in Livingston, can someone please confirm if it’s true?

Thanks
You guys sound like a barrel of laughs, let me say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey