Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM

20 posts, read 98,326 times

Advertisements

I think the OP has been ignored most of this thread, but at least it gives a sense of the struggles that JC faces. I will reiterate that if you have the money for it, go to Hoboken or find a community that fits you in Manhattan. There's really no reason to put yourself through the stress and hazards of JC if you can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 AM

416 posts, read 1,710,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I only labeled him what he called himself.
Sorry, Mods.
Looks like I missed something in the last hour or so. Sorry if you were censured, fischfan. I wouldn't take offense at anything you say--particularly something that's a biological fact, lol, but I know the forums have the policies they have, and not the rules I would have. You can private message me if you want to say something that might meet with official disapproval, and I'll respond without getting upset.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy22 View Post
I think the OP has been ignored most of this thread, but at least it gives a sense of the struggles that JC faces. I will reiterate that if you have the money for it, go to Hoboken or find a community that fits you in Manhattan. There's really no reason to put yourself through the stress and hazards of JC if you can avoid it.
Although so far we're getting cautioned about people hanging out on the street, being able to buy drugs, an implication of prostitution (I think), and statistical facts about crimes occurring.

There is no absence of those things in Hoboken or New York City.

In the New York City metro area, people walk and hang out on the streets. That's a large part of New York City (and metro) culture. It seems weird that someone would either choose to live in this area or would have grown up here and would think that there's something wrong with it.

As for drugs, regardless of one's stance on them, there's nowhere in the US at least that you can not easily acquire them. Hoboken and NYC are certainly not an exception.

The same thing goes for prostitution in any decent sized city. And actually, in the metro NYC area, including JC, it's more difficult to pick up a street-walker than in most cities. Why is that? Because of the walking and hanging out on the street culture here. In most cities, you can head to certain areas and if a woman is walking alone, it's a pretty safe bet she's "dating". In the NYC area, that's not at all the case. It's instead a pretty safe bet here that she's on her way to work, home, to get something to eat, to visit a friend, etc.

Now, there are areas of Hoboken, New York City, and even Jersey City that are much more, um, whitebread, that are almost exclusively yuppieville, etc. If that's where someone needs to be to feel comfortable and secure, then it's not difficult to figure out where those places are. But the OP didn't seem to require that, since she (I think it was a she) said Communipaw and West Side seemed fine to her, as they do to me. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in a yuppieville in a million years.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:48 PM

32 posts, read 166,762 times
[quote=DessertRat;2657055]
To the OP, you've driven down Communipaw and West Side and thought they seemed fine. I do, too; I drive down both regularly, at all times of day. Those are areas that many folks here consider "bad", so you should be fine just about anywhere in JC--the main thing to watch out for is logistics vis a vis getting to and from work. Make sure you have relatively easy access to public transportation, without having to change vehicles too many times or without having to make a major haul time-wise. Traffic can also be horrendous during rush hours if you're planning on driving, and of course, unless you like driving around for an hour trying to find a spot, make sure you're going to have a place to park, or you can afford to pay a monthly garage fee.

By the way, I keep inviting the folks who think sections are bad to walk (or even drive) around with me to point out just what they think the problems are, but it has done little good so far, as no one has been willing to come forward and try it. I guess we can speculate on what they're seeing that they're considering to be a problem." {DessertRat}

Unfortunately, I have had to "walk" those areas, along with many others. While they are not the worst areas I have ever been in (worked in Newark in the jail and many of the Public Housing Units(in Newark, as well as Irvington, Jersey City, East Orange, etc...) and taught in Camden for a bit), they are "bad". Just look at the crime statistics, or just read the paper to see where most of the crime in the city takes place. I find it irresponsible to be telling people that some of the areas with the highest crime rates in the city are "alright". Everything is fine if you are driving through or just walking through once in a while. Living there is a different story. Lincoln High School, which is located on MLK and Communipaw Ave, is one of the worst high schools in the city (and the state). If the original poster wants to live in a safe neighborhood, stay out of the aforementioned areas. While they aren't as bad as parts of Newark and Camden, they are not safe. I teach Emotionally Disturbed teenagers, I had knives and guns pulled on me, I've seen bad...Don't believe anyone that tells you those aforementioned neighborhoods are fine. If you feel comfortable in those neighborhoods, then go for it. But don't make a judgement by just passing by in your car.

According to the Jersey City PDs compstats, the West District (Communipaw Ave), saw the most crime in the city. (I am posting some of the results from December 2007.)

West District (Where most of Communipaw Ave is located)

Homicides - 1 (highest in the city)
Rape- 2 (tied with the East District)
Robbery- 37 (2nd to Greenville)
w/gun- 16 (2nd to Greenville)
w/knife-4
strong arm-14

Aggravated Assaults 25 (highest in the city)
gun 5 (highest in the city)
knife 6 (highest in the city)

Burglary 40 (highest in the city)
forcible entry 28 (highest in the city)
unlawful (no force) 10 (2nd)
Attempted 2

Motor Vehicle Theft 23 (2nd to the North District, The Heights)

Total Crime in the West District for Dec. 2007 was 224 incidents. The most crime in Jersey City takes place in this section.

Excuse this hastily written response...thanks!

Last edited by jerseycity79; 01-29-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,920,888 times
JC does have its better areas-if you want to call them yuppieville. But some are just so so and filled with the working class. It is not just like living in Manhattan below 125th street. Whoever said that is clueless. Hoboken has areas that are not so great too but it is smaller scale.

These are silly discussions not because it is a useless matter but because the arguements that are made are outlandish. Sometimes on both sides. I posted on a thread like this and got slammed but I will say this again -This is not just an issue of bad parenting and clueless residents. We have ghettos in this country. We always have. These kinds of places were never created equal and you still see the fallout to this very day.

You can post on here all you want about how you work in law enforcement or in social work but that does not mean you don't have your own personal bias that you bring to your job. A bias that blinds and warps your perceptions. Social workers are some of that most ignorant uninformed and biased people I have ever met. And Iv'e met alot.

The areas mentioned here all have some crime but the circumstances are not the same in Newark as in Hoboken and never were. It is not about bad parenting. Quit your job in social work and go back to school. No better yet learn some history from some actual people. At least then you might get a clue.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM

32 posts, read 166,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
JC does have its better areas-if you want to call them yuppieville. But some are just so so and filled with the working class. It is not just like living in Manhattan below 125th street. Whoever said that is clueless. Hoboken has areas that are not so great too but it is smaller scale.

These are silly discussions not because it is a useless matter but because the arguements that are made are outlandish. Sometimes on both sides. I posted on a thread like this and got slammed but I will say this again -This is not just an issue of bad parenting and clueless residents. We have ghettos in this country. We always have. These kinds of places were never created equal and you still see the fallout to this very day.

You can post on here all you want about how you work in law enforcement or in social work but that does not mean you don't have your own personal bias that you bring to your job. A bias that blinds and warps your perceptions. Social workers are some of that most ignorant uninformed and biased people I have ever met. And Iv'e met alot.

The areas mentioned here all have some crime but the circumstances are not the same in Newark as in Hoboken and never were. It is not about bad parenting. Quit your job in social work and go back to school. No better yet learn some history from some actual people. At least then you might get a clue.

Job in Social Work? Who is the social worker? Learn history? Immigration history? Urban studies? What? How about the first big wave of immigration to hit America's shores in the mid-1880s. The Irish who came over, driven by famine, settle in many of America's cities. Some of the sections where you would fine large groups of Irish were some of the most dangerous places in the world at the time( the Five Points for example). In 19th century New York, the neighborhoods the Irish lived in were said to be revolting...It is said, that two policemen compared one Irish slum to Hell, where his partner replied that Hell had a milder climate, that this is Hell's Kitchen...and the name stuck (supposedly). The police at times locked so many Irish up on a given night that the wagons that brought them to Jail were called Paddy Wagons. Historically, most of the crime came from poverty and ignorance...high rates of children born out - of - wedlock, corruption of elected officials(Tammany Hall), bias (Know-nothings), drugs and alcohol, etc...Charles Dickens is quoted as describing the conditions of the Five Points stating, "Debauchery has made the very houses prematurely old." Now Dickens harbored a great deal of resentment towards America (issues with copyright sales), so I expect that his descriptions were maybe a bit bias, however this is what most at the time described, even Davey Crockett stated as much in his visits.

Education, changes in behavior, and strong community leadership (such as the likes of Lewis Pease) helped the Irish and many other groups succeed.

Now, most people were good people (Law abiding). Like in any neighborhood you would find today.

I could go on about the Poles, Italians, Jews, etc...(And each had their own special problems that we need to consider.) Point is, some deal with these issues every day, while others just read about them in books or trust "others" , like professors, to tell them about it. (I have sat through the classes, read about the topics, and seen first hand.)

Some of these issues speak to today's issues, in some neighborhoods. Not all.

And the issues, are the same. Go to a jail, emotionally disturbed classroom, whatever (anywhere with people who behavioral issues) or just analyze statistical information about people who commit crimes. Start listening to the stories, or just read history. From my experience, 95% of the stories are the same. (And yes, bigotry and unequal opportunities were factors throughout, but they didn't necessarily lead to crime). (People were poorer during the Great Depression and most crime categories were not as high as today (even looking a percentages of population and whatnot). (There was less crime in most African American neighborhoods during the Jim Crow era then there is today...But, there is close to a 70% rate of out-of-wedlock births today in those same neighborhoods, which is a huge increase from even 40 years ago).

But, the issue that the original poster presented was, whether the aforementioned neighborhoods were safe. Regardless of reasons, they are not. You might live there, and nothing might happen. Typically, a small portion of the population in these communities are coming these crimes. But statistically, you are at a greater risk of being a victim of crime in the aforementioned neighborhoods. I spoke nothing of the reasons.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycity79 View Post
Unfortunately, I have had to "walk" those areas, along with many others.
I walk them too. I've walked every street in Jersey City (literally--see the other post I just did on the Trenton thread) many times.
Quote:
Just look at the crime statistics,
I've commented on statistics already. You do not live statistics. If someone considering a move to a place were basing it on statistics, they could easily just look them up using a search engine, unless they happen to be a complete moron, and then living anywhere would be a serious challenge for them.
Quote:
I find it irresponsible to be telling people that some of the areas with the highest crime rates in the city are "alright".
And I find it irresponsible to tell someone that an area is unsafe for them, that you feel unsafe there, etc. based on statistics. So I guess we're at loggerheads, aren't we?
Quote:
Everything is fine if you are driving through or just walking through once in a while. Living there is a different story.
That wouldn't be because of statistics. One doesn't live statistics. You'd need to say why living somewhere isn't going to be safe if it isn't.
Quote:
Lincoln High School, which is located on MLK and Communipaw Ave, is one of the worst high schools in the city (and the state).
"Worst" needs to be defined, and you need to talk about what their kids, if they have any who would go to that school, would likely experience there, as their kids.
Quote:
If the original poster wants to live in a safe neighborhood, stay out of the aforementioned areas.
If they want to receive advice based on statistics, they can look at a search engine. They do not need posters here making vague statements that are based on statistics.
Quote:
I teach Emotionally Disturbed teenagers, I had knives and guns pulled on me, I've seen bad...
Okay, so if that's your experience, you'd say something like, "If you're going to be teaching emotionally disturbed teenagers, then you have a better chance of having a knife or gun pulled on you." Of course, that's probably the case teaching emotionally disturbed teenagers in most locations. It's about the people involved in that situation.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM

576 posts, read 1,592,792 times
These posts about JC being a good place to live or a bad place to live seem to come up alot. Now dont get me wrong im from JC and not bashing it but why would you choose JC over all the other areas on the hudson? I realize the other areas on the hudson have crime to but its also to a much lesser extent. I know it has also been going through a "rennesannce" (however thats spelled) but thats mainly on the waterfront for the young urban profesionals hahaha to live if they cant afford manhatten or brooklyn or whatever. I mean hey maybe things are changing in JC but from my personal experience if you like having your car stolen and or broken into or just plain old having it vandalized, or being mugged, or finding used condoms and seringes on the sidewalk hey be my guest. Once again though so im not misunderstood JC is no newark or irvington etc. but believe me it has alot of crime going on that most arnt aware of becuase driving around will not help you spot it, the quality of life leaves alot to be desierd. If you can find a place on the water or in a gated community in JC that would probebly be the best bet depending on your budget the demographics in those areas are mainly nyc commuters so overall that would be the safest bet. PS i forgot to mention if you live in JC you WILL spend upwards of 300$ a year on parking tickets half of which are bullsh*t

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 AM

576 posts, read 1,592,792 times
oh i forgot to add, why would somebody drop close to a million dollars on one of these new "luxury condos" in JC when you can get one the smae price in a place like weehawken or edgewater for the same amount and have a much better living atmosphere? Just a thought that boggles my mind sometimes. Oh and dont get me started on the beacon in JC, yea that place is a great investment, living in an old hospital in a crappy neighborhood for 500-750k, yea that makes total sense.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
oh i forgot to add, why would somebody drop close to a million dollars on one of these new "luxury condos" in JC when you can get one the smae price in a place like weehawken or edgewater for the same amount and have a much better living atmosphere?
I wouldn't live anywhere near here if it wasn't for New York City, for both work and leisure. Probably a lot of people are similar. It's not that I dislike Jersey City, but it sure wouldn't be a top choice if it wasn't for NYC.

To me, it's a hassle to commute to New York City on anything but the PATH trains (and even those are a hassle to an extent). Living in Weehawken or Edgewater means you need to commute some other way. The NJ Transit trains are expensive, the schedules are limited, the buses are a major hassle, and if I were rich enough to be able to afford driving to Manhattan all the time, I would be living IN Manhattan.

Living in JC where I do, I can walk to the Grove Street PATH station in a few minutes and be in Manhattan in 15 - 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey