Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times

Advertisements

Blacks are moving to the suburbs or the South

but Plainfield and Newark are still at least 40-50% black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Blacks may be leaving, but I don't think the population is declining. I'm not sure if the population loss through migration is enough to offset new births. It might be more adults are leaving while more black children are being born, in the end not affecting the total population too much.

What is declining is their percentage of the population, particularly as the Hispanic community grows at a much faster pace.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:11 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
These rumors are true. Atlanta has become known as a kind of Mecca for black professionals. Charlotte as well. I'm not exactly sure why or how that has occurred, but it is definitely a thing.

That's not to say though that they are paradise for blacks. Maybe not Charlotte so much, but Atlanta still has several parts that are quite dangerous and not far removed from many of the places in the Northeast that blacks are moving out of.
I've heard that about Atlanta as well. I've also heard the same about DC.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Interesting.....

I think many blacks are becoming middle class and moving to Nj suburbs,as opposed to the south.
Ex; West Orange,Teaneck,Cherry HILL.

I do notice less AS and more Caribbean and African blacks within the last few years.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Interesting.....

I think many blacks are becoming middle class and moving to Nj suburbs,as opposed to the south.
Ex; West Orange,Teaneck,Cherry HILL.

I do notice less AS and more Caribbean and African blacks within the last few years.
Blacks have been moving to places like those you mentioned above since the 80's. As the cities continued to deteriorate, there became more pressure for black families who could afford to leave to actually do so. Crack was the tipping point, as that ended up taking the violence to a whole new level.

This wasn't unique to just NJ though. It happened across the country. But, as I said, this is not a new phenomenon. It's being going on for over 30 years. What IS new is that Hispanics are supplanting blacks as the largest minority group, and this is what the real story is in NJ. Once again, this is happening in many other states as well and is not unique to NJ.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:01 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Blacks have been moving to places like those you mentioned above since the 80's. As the cities continued to deteriorate, there became more pressure for black families who could afford to leave to actually do so. Crack was the tipping point, as that ended up taking the violence to a whole new level.

This wasn't unique to just NJ though. It happened across the country. But, as I said, this is not a new phenomenon. It's being going on for over 30 years. What IS new is that Hispanics are supplanting blacks as the largest minority group, and this is what the real story is in NJ. Once again, this is happening in many other states as well and is not unique to NJ.
Parts of NJ are just as much a sanctuary for illegal Latino/Hispanics as New York City. Housing is expensive in NYC and moving out to Staten Island isn't always an option. So you have areas of NJ that beckon for the same reasons many others move out there; an easy and or direct commute into Manhattan.

As for African-Americans leaving NJ/NY area it is mostly broken down into two demographics; older/retired and young.

Know several recent college graduate AA young people that couldn't find work for months going into a year or more in NYC. They moved to Atlanta and had multiple offers within weeks and were working in less than a month. All found they could rent a nice sized house, apartment or townhouse for far less than a shoebox sized unit in NYC.

For the retirees it is a no brainer, especially those with nice NY or NJ civil servant pensions; their savings, investments and pension (along with SS) will all go much further down South than in the NJ/NY area. For those whom owned their own homes they can sell and take that money and again do better across the Mason-Dixon than here.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 AM

10,441 posts, read 6,969,439 times
There is a trend going on in the US called the Reverse Great Migration where large portions of blacks are leaving the Northeast and California and moving to the south. These neighborhoods are being overtaken by hispanics.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
There is a trend going on in the US called the Reverse Great Migration where large portions of blacks are leaving the Northeast and California and moving to the south. These neighborhoods are being overtaken by hispanics.
Yep, due to housing costs.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

This has almost always been the case. Many areas that are now associated with African Americans were once white middle or lower class. White flight pretty much emptied out these neighborhoods allowing Blacks to become the dominate minority. Now we are seeing Blacks moving out and Latino/Hispanics moving in with numbers that will make them the dominate group.

Let Tony Soprano explain, *LOL*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7YzBE5zAo

Old 09-23-2015, 05:25 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Blacks are moving south, unfortunately. (I am black.. and don't find Southern states nearly as hospitable to Blacks as the Northeast)

I am from New Jersey, in Seattle now, and moving to NC next year. I have the say the south is probably LESS racist than NJ, it is just that the racists over there are open about it.

I can deal with a dozen people calling me the N word to my face, but what I can't stand is a hundred people saying it behind my back like in Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey