Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:26 PM

14 posts, read 30,895 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Plainfield and have taught elementary school in Plainfield, Paterson & Newark...question being "Where are all the black people going?". Plainfield went from having largely black student populations in the 90s to being almost exclusively hispanic as of present. Most students are recent immigrants who do not speak the language. In Paterson, many neighborhoods/schools are in the midsts of demographic changes...many immigrants from the Dominican Republic have been coming in. Schools are needing to hire more ESL teachers than ever before, and Paterson is even considering opening an elementary school for recent immigrant students who only speak Spanish.

It is clear that with hispanics moving in, blacks are moving out. Not saying its intentional, but I can say that having dozens of students in your class that do not speak english...sort of takes some attention from the english speaking students. But, where are blacks going?? Is there a town somewhere? I am truly truly curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:28 AM

166 posts, read 326,506 times
Good question. No idea what the answer is.

What other towns are seeing a massive influx of hispanics?

Old 09-12-2015, 02:05 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Virginia.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:14 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
For the past 15 years, the current trend for african americans has been to move to various places down south because the economy, job market, weather and cost of living is MUCH better down there.

Plus, if your a tax-payer, it no longer makes no sense to stay in places like that. Because of the influx of undocumented students, your taxes will go up even further since you now have to pay for those extra ESL teachers and for other $expensive$ resources for the hoardes of non-english speakers coming in. This has made things even tougher for the already struggling black working&lower middle class taxpayers in those areas.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
For the past 15 years, the current trend for african americans has been to move to various places down south because the economy, job market, weather and cost of living is MUCH better down there.

Plus, if your a tax-payer, it no longer makes no sense to stay in places like that. Because of the influx of undocumented students, your taxes will go up even further since you now have to pay for those extra ESL teachers and for other $expensive$ resources for the hoardes of non-english speakers coming in. This has made things even tougher for the already struggling black working&lower middle class taxpayers in those areas.
As long as the American business community keeps offshoring the working class jobs those people both black and white will relocate to where there are jobs.

Of course working class people without jobs are no longer tax payers but tax receivers. I guess that's OK with business owners as long as they don't have to pay those taxes.

What did people think was gonna happen when they closed down all the factories?

Jeeze I'm glad I'm out of the work force.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
They are moving south: NC, GA, FL, MD, VA, TX

Old 09-12-2015, 12:18 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Blacks are moving south, unfortunately. (I am black.. and don't find Southern states nearly as hospitable to Blacks as the Northeast)

Old 09-12-2015, 03:21 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Blacks are moving south, unfortunately. (I am black.. and don't find Southern states nearly as hospitable to Blacks as the Northeast)

I heard roomers that there are cities that are like meca for black professionals. Like Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I heard roomers that there are cities that are like meca for black professionals. Like Atlanta.
These rumors are true. Atlanta has become known as a kind of Mecca for black professionals. Charlotte as well. I'm not exactly sure why or how that has occurred, but it is definitely a thing.

That's not to say though that they are paradise for blacks. Maybe not Charlotte so much, but Atlanta still has several parts that are quite dangerous and not far removed from many of the places in the Northeast that blacks are moving out of.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:06 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Both Charlotte and Atlanta have a lot of black professionals, but they also have a lot of ghetto blacks (like the types that look and act fresh from the set of Basketball Wives and Black Ink), ESPECIALLY Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey