Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 16,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I don't think this is the case at all. Schools usually reflect the progress of the town itself, and Parsippany isn't really declining. It's stable. Also, Parisppany and Parisppany-Troy Hills are the same town/same schools/same everything. It used to be two separate towns, Parsippany and Troy Hills, but they combined. Many people just simply call it Parsippany now because it's two less syllables
Thanks for clarifying that!

I had actually read one of these "NJ best towns for families" list and parsipanny Troy hills was in the top 10 I believe .

Growing up NJ I had never heard of PTH and was wondering why the heck they didn't just write parsipanny .

Where the school systems merged as well or did both of those areas always use the same schools ? The area in general gets good reviews for schools so my reason for asking is just general curiosity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If you spend your life looking for trouble, you will find it, and fail. If you live your life mired in arcane externalities, you will fail. Concentrate on yourself, and people as INDIVIDUALS, NOT GROUPS. You will succeed and be happy.

In other news, Denville is not a racist town, and Morris County is not a racist county. If you live here, and work here, and send your kids to school here, you will succeed here, and enjoy living here.

As far as school quality, there are NO BAD SCHOOLS in this county. Anywhere. They are good, and better, and best, but none of them are bad. And there is a path to college and success in ANY of them provided that, as a parent, you emphasize and focus on educational success.

Gosh I think I commented on this quote when replying to someone else's! If you care to read its down there somewhere lol my apologies. But yes, you're 100% correct . I plan on buying a home in a community that I can be 100% apart of .
Here in north Bergen I have great neighbors but zero community. I hate it.

I've so far loved every Morris county school I've researched . I mentioned in another reply that my 3 year old is already into building solar powered toy cars and volcanoes. He loves learning and we love teaching him . Any school he goes to Weill be an addition to the foundations we're trying to lay. What I'm hoping for is a community of parents who share the same values we do when it comes to education. Morris county seemed to have exactly that. Hudson county ... Just ugh.

The only school I've actually seen get poor reviews is Dover high school . It actually scored lower than our high school here in north Bergen.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No. Not true. Prove it to yourself. Drive to the Denville downtown area which has lots of cute shops and stores. Hang out there all day and mingle. You will feel welcome and happy.

67th, so that is the Western Slope area. Nice area. I recently read a fascinating article about North Bergen. I was appraising a house in the Racetrack area and I wondered where in hell it got that name. There are no racetracks to be found in any way way, shape, or form. I did some research and discovered the racetrack from the past. Interesting and fascinating story!

Anyway, you can also consider Roxbury, Jefferson, Mount Arlington, and Mount Olive. All nice areas, but a bit farther from N.B. However, your money will go further. One of my buyers just put an offer in on a 5 bedroom, 2,000 sqft or so Raised Ranch on a 1 acre property in the Shore Hills area for under $300,000. Fantastic house, but it needs a little work. And very private, even though it is in a neighborhood. So your budget will work if you put in some good hard shopping.
Yes it's the western slope.. However once you walk up the hill everything goes down hill lol.
My grandparents are 5 houses down from me and have lived here since the 60s. We know everyone or did know everyone in this hill until recently. 2 houses up a drug house set up shop with a good 19 people living in horrid conditions reside. My across the street neighbor moved to Wayne and rented out his home. The guy next to him put a sign on his house last month and just bought a place in bud lake. My next door neighbor will put his sign up as soon as I get an offer on mine ... It used to be a wonderful place to live . The pride of ownership has gone down the drain. about 7 years ago a house down the block was raided by the fbi. So as of right now.. It may be still somewhat of a nice area but I don't see it ever getting better.
Little history lesson, 67th was once called nanny goat hill as up on the corner there was a goat farm. This was still in the 60s. The farmer would parade his goats down the hill every morning to where the senior building is now and they would graze there and the local children would play with them 😊
My 1921 home used to have a small street run through the side of it leading to a barber shop in my back yard. When my mother bought the house in 98 the barber shop still stood with the antique sink and walls lined with old magazine adds. Unfortunately sandy took the structure down along with my retaining wall.
If you can't tell I'm a huge history buff which makes Morris county perfect for me in that sense as well :-)

I've also added Roxbury to my list and will poke around the other towns as well. As you suggested, from here on out I'll be spending my weekends mingling in each town . I have a friend in montville who has wonderful things to say about it and also just found a friend in NC whose family lives in Denville and Roxbury. World keeps getting smaller. Thank you for your input!!

Also your short hills comment surprised the heck out of me! For the longest I thought short hills was way out of our price range

Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
As long as your husband isn't raising the Cuban/Peru flag over the house, with low riders outside, sitting in lawn chairs blasting reggaetone and eating/bbqing guinea pigs nobody is going to bat an idea of your husband not being white. The point is if he is assimilated to being a regular American theree won't be any problems.
Do you live in Denville??

Hahaha just kidding. What you're describing is actually the drug house 2 houses up from me that we're trying to get away from!!

We don't raise flags , basically because we're lazy lol although I'd love to buy a house with a nice large one so we could fly our red white and beauty.

Hudson county is big on open garage lawn chair parties and we've never had one lol. I like to keep my bbqs in my yard . While pig roasts run rampant in my area people still have them and just invite the cops.

When my jerk neighbors do blast their music ( usually that adult bass club music vs reggaeton ) my husband and I always joke about throwing an amp in our own yard and blasting some Sinatra back at Em.

My husbands grandmother seems to love guinea pig however I'm allergic 😆

I think we're good!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 AM

While we are all here, does anyone know about the house for sale on Palmer road in Denville?

300 Palmer rd is the address . I know that's a less than desirable street and I've been playing phone tag with the agent... Looks HUGE for the price wondering if anyone knows whether or not its falling apart lol not in a flood zone though, hooray for that!

Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 PM

585 posts, read 492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypoop View Post
So I've also heard parsipanny schools are going straight down hill.. Is there. Difference at all between parsipanny and parsipanny Troy hills? School wise that is :-)
No difference between Parsipanny and Parsipanny Troy hills. I disagree on the school's going downhill, what's your source?

Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
While we are all here, does anyone know about the house for sale on Palmer road in Denville?

300 Palmer rd is the address . I know that's a less than desirable street and I've been playing phone tag with the agent... Looks HUGE for the price wondering if anyone knows whether or not its falling apart lol not in a flood zone though, hooray for that!
That house is located within a well known Flood Plain. When looking at any housing in Denville, you must be very careful as there are quite a number of homes that experience frequent and severe flooding. Homes located in known flood plains will require flood insurance, which is costly. To check out possible homes to see if they are withing a flood zone you can use the tool located here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search?A...nville%2C%20nj

KoalaNJ

Old 09-15-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
That house is located within a well known Flood Plain. When looking at any housing in Denville, you must be very careful as there are quite a number of homes that experience frequent and severe flooding. Homes located in known flood plains will require flood insurance, which is costly. To check out possible homes to see if they are withing a flood zone you can use the tool located here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search?A...nville%2C%20nj

KoalaNJ
I'm so livid, I just went back to the listing to see that it's already pending!!!!! Uggghh
Anyway I went back to double check, but that house particularly stated in the listing that it isn't in the flood plain and has the elevation certs to prove it. I thought that was odd being that there's a stream running through the back yard but I guess the house is on a little hill.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
No difference between Parsipanny and Parsipanny Troy hills. I disagree on the school's going downhill, what's your source?

Well great schools actually rate the school system wonderfully, the only bad info I've seen was actually on these message boards . vaguely recall something about budget and the school system having an issue with the state of NJ as well as being a bit unorganized . I'll search through the forums again though as the posts could even be outdated

Old 09-15-2015, 06:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Well great schools actually rate the school system wonderfully, the only bad info I've seen was actually on these message boards . vaguely recall something about budget and the school system having an issue with the state of NJ as well as being a bit unorganized . I'll search through the forums again though as the posts could even be outdated
Stay with the official data and school performance scores at The Official Web Site for The State of New Jersey

This website has a lot of people who are irrational and never miss a chance to grind an axe. What you'll get here are anecdotes, what you really need are good numbers to make your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey