Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 12,051 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to NJ from NYC. I will still work there, so the town must be less than an hour commute from lower Manhattan, I also want a train station within 5-10 minutes driving distance. My price range is around 1.2m. I have gotten recommendations and looked at homes in Colonia and Westfield. I have also been advised that Clark, NJ was a good choice, however, I have yet to find listings of any homes in Clark that compare to the those I have seen in Colonia or Westfield. The schools in Westfield, recieved higher ratings than those in Colonia, however the homes I saw in Westfield seemed remarkably shabby for the price and the neigboring homes seemed unkept. I have also been told that Colonia schools receive students from less desireable areas and found that Clark's high school rated very poorly. I am not sure what is accurate and what is not. So far, Colonia seems to be the best value for the cost. Is there part of Clark that is more exclusive? Does it go by another name? Any advice would be appreciated.
JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Westfield is far more expensive, but has the advantage of a train station in town. You will *not* get to the train from Clark to Westfield or Rahway during the morning rush in 5-10 minutes.

Prices too outlandish in Westfield? Go elsewhere on the Raritan Valley Line. Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Cranford, Garwood, etc.

*EDIT* Yes, there is a section of Clark some believe is more prestigious. Its the Hehnly School side as opposed to the Valley Road side (elementary schools). However, its not really all that prestigious or exclusive, and yes, the HS is crap and has gone very far downhill since I graduated there 8 years ago - and it wasn't that good then. My sister goes there now, and I've been all but begging my parents to get her to a different school district. I'm not a fan of the Clark school system.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
CuCullin knows of what he speaks.

IMO, Westfield is a great town. I absolutely love it, but unless your budget is 1 mil+, you're probably better off elsewhere. There are many, many very nice towns in NJ where you can do a lot better price-wise.

Colonia is hit or miss. There are many lovely homes near the high school, but some of the school facilities leave a lot to be desired.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Colonia has some great areas (the "estate section" and the area off Chain O' Hills Rd), and you'll get more for your money there than in Westfield- especially in the area off of Chain O' Hills Rd. While the schools in Westfield are better, the schools in Colonia aren't that bad either. IMO, JFK is the better high school compared to Colonia (I graduated from JFK in 87), and I believe the test scores concur. Colonia High gets kids from Avenel (though JFK gets part of Avenel too), which isn't the best area of Woodbridge Township.

You can get to the Metropark station in Iselin very easily, and likely within your 10 minute timeframe from most parts of Colonia (Rahway station would be closer if you end up on the Inman Ave end of Colonia).

Alot depends on what you're looking for though- if you're looking for a "status" address, go for Westfield, but you'll pay dearly for it.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM

43 posts, read 189,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia92 View Post
I am looking to move to NJ from NYC. I will still work there, so the town must be less than an hour commute from lower Manhattan, I also want a train station within 5-10 minutes driving distance. My price range is around 1.2m. I have gotten recommendations and looked at homes in Colonia and Westfield. I have also been advised that Clark, NJ was a good choice, however, I have yet to find listings of any homes in Clark that compare to the those I have seen in Colonia or Westfield. The schools in Westfield, recieved higher ratings than those in Colonia, however the homes I saw in Westfield seemed remarkably shabby for the price and the neigboring homes seemed unkept. I have also been told that Colonia schools receive students from less desireable areas and found that Clark's high school rated very poorly. I am not sure what is accurate and what is not. So far, Colonia seems to be the best value for the cost. Is there part of Clark that is more exclusive? Does it go by another name? Any advice would be appreciated.
JM

If that's your 3 choices, then it's a no-brainer, go for Westfield. 1.2 million will get you a nice house there.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I know nothing about Clark but I know Westfield is a rich town of "old money" - you know - the house might be shabby but it is still expensive. Colonia is more working class.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 12,051 times
Default Thanks all, for the guidance!

Your thoughts are much appreciated, I'm impressed with the wealth of information in your replies. Thanks again. Would anyone happen to know the respective driving times to the Holland around 6 a.m.?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Your thoughts are much appreciated, I'm impressed with the wealth of information in your replies. Thanks again. Would anyone happen to know the respective driving times to the Holland around 6 a.m.?
I haven't driven that in quite a while, so I'll be out of date - I'll leave times to others.

However, if you're going to be doing that, I would *definitely* recommend looking at Springfield, Maplewood, Mountainside, Summit, New Providence, and Scotch Plains.

From Clark you'll be to get onto the Parkway and over to 78, from Colonia you'll be driving through Clark to the GSP to get to 78, and from Westfield you'd be going through Clark to GSP to 78, or right to 78 by way of Springfield.

Either way, the other towns I mentioned would make for an easier commute, and are pretty similar to Colonia/Clark/Westfield. Maplewood and Summit for example have enjoyable downtown areas (though Westfield is definitely more known for its downtown, with reason), Scotch Plains has a somewhat of a downtown, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Would anyone happen to know the respective driving times to the Holland around 6 a.m.?
From Colonia, I'd hop on 1 and 9 South to the NJTP, and you'd hit the Holland in just under 30 minutes. That's presuming that you're trying to get to the Holland by 6am- if you leave the house at 6am, you may get to the tunnel in 35-40 minutes, but you'll also sit at the tunnel for 5-10 more.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM

119 posts, read 552,656 times
Default Westfield

Its a no brainer... Westfield. I think you could get a pretty nice house there for $1.2 mil. It may appear shabbier than the other towns you mention, but its Westfield afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey