Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM

343 posts, read 614,967 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, need some help on clarifying the process.

My finance and I plan to get married. I am a us citizen and resident of jersey city for a long time, she is a foreign citizen. I understand the first step is to goto the city clerk office in jersey city with the required documents and get a marriage license.

However i am very confused what happens after that, as I understand it the marriage license is just that - a license to get married, it is not the actual marriage certificate. I tried calling the city clerk office but the person was very impatient and wouldnt explain the next steps to me.

We dont want to have a wedding dinner/ceremony type thing, just want to be legally married (a court house wedding? is that the right term?).

My question is what do we do after getting the marriage license, is there another place we have to go to be legally married and get the actual marriage certificate?

Thank you, much appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,229 times
This site has instructions for getting married in Jersey City:
Office of the City Clerk

Congratulations, and much happiness to you both.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,229 times
You can also consider marrying in Manhattan:
City Clerk's Office - Marriage License

We were married there decades ago & everyone was very nice (no impatient employees.)

Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,368 times
Marriage license is a registration for marriage. There is usually a waiting period (3 days in most states I think) from the date on the license before you can actually get married. Whether you get married in a religious ceremony, regular ceremony, civil ceremony, all you need is for witnesses to sign the license, then you can take it back to City Hall for them to file and give you a legal marriage certificate.

If you want a quick, easy wedding for immigration purposes, call Town Hall again and ask to "schedule a civil ceremony with a justice of peace".

Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Marriage license is a registration for marriage. There is usually a waiting period (3 days in most states I think) from the date on the license before you can actually get married. Whether you get married in a religious ceremony, regular ceremony, civil ceremony, all you need is for witnesses to sign the license, then you can take it back to City Hall for them to file and give you a legal marriage certificate.

If you want a quick, easy wedding for immigration purposes, call Town Hall again and ask to "schedule a civil ceremony with a justice of peace".
Pretty sure they don't do that anymore - marrying a US citizen does not grant the spouse citizenship. I worked with a girl from Sweden (was here on a student then work Visa) and after she got married she still had to go through the entire citizenship process - had to wait a while, attend classes and take the exam just like anyone else wanting to be a US citizen. At one point she almost had to leave the country because her Visa was up even though she was married to an American. She was able to get it extended without that hassle, thank God. One of the nicest people I know.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Pretty sure they don't do that anymore - marrying a US citizen does not grant the spouse citizenship. I worked with a girl from Sweden (was here on a student then work Visa) and after she got married she still had to go through the entire citizenship process - had to wait a while, attend classes and take the exam just like anyone else wanting to be a US citizen. At one point she almost had to leave the country because her Visa was up even though she was married to an American. She was able to get it extended without that hassle, thank God. One of the nicest people I know.
Nope, they still do that. A citizen can sponsor a green card application for a foreign immigrant who is currently in the US on a valid visa. There are hoops to jump through, but green card by legitimate marriage is still one of the fastest and surest methods to secure permanent residency. I don't know what the situation with your Swedish friend is, but if you have applied for a marriage sponsored green card, you do NOT need to leave the country anymore, as you cannot be deported while your application is pending. If it was rejected in the meantime... then that's another story =(

Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,243 times
Citizenship is not the same as residency. My father already had his greencard when he got married to my mother (a natural born citizen) and did not become a citizen until I was 12 or 13 years old.

As for the process of marriage, once you have applied for a marriage certificate you get a form to be filled out by whoever will be performing the marriage. Be that a Judge, Mayor, or Clergy member. Once filled out, you take that back to where you got your license and they give you a proper certificate.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,433 times
for getting marriage licence, what documents has to bring by witness person and should witness person be citizen or green card holder? or can any temporary green card holder be a witness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey