Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:23 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,753,350 times

Advertisements

I need to have cable turned on for house in Laurence Harbor. I don't need phone service, just cable TV and internet service.

I never had Direct TV. I need to choose economically and just basic cable or satellite.

Does anyone know what companies I can choose from in that area? Recommend one over the other?

In the past I've had jobs with satellite and almost every time a storm hit, the satellite would go out but maybe they are better now.

If cable is better choice, how do I find out what companies for that area? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,023,569 times
Google.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,537,804 times
I would start with getting a decent, doesnt have to be big, TV antenna pointed at NYC, you should get about 50 digital TV channels, no bill. I find even with cable or satellite most of the time you are watching the stuff that is free anyway.

Satellite is fairly steady these days too. I see one of the cable companies is giving a deal where they give you an antenna for free TV and they supply the internet service for your home.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,585,990 times
I don't have either since they both cost money if I had to go with one then it would be DirectTV. I used to share with family and split the bill it comes out to $45/month and we split 3 ways and get every channel there is. You can't do that with cable. I find DTV to be much more reliable than Comcast which would go down often and they don't have much channels for $100/month.

The only issue with DTV is they don't cover data or voice so cable can give you triple play for like $150/month that covers all 3.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM

389 posts, read 662,174 times
I just called direct tv. They bundle with verizon in my area. just got a quote of $108/month pre tax for tv/phone/internet

Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,753,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Google.
How helpful of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I would start with getting a decent, doesnt have to be big, TV antenna pointed at NYC, you should get about 50 digital TV channels, no bill. I find even with cable or satellite most of the time you are watching the stuff that is free anyway.

Satellite is fairly steady these days too. I see one of the cable companies is giving a deal where they give you an antenna for free TV and they supply the internet service for your home.
Thank you. I knew nothing about this option so looking into it. Helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't have either since they both cost money if I had to go with one then it would be DirectTV. I used to share with family and split the bill it comes out to $45/month and we split 3 ways and get every channel there is. You can't do that with cable. I find DTV to be much more reliable than Comcast which would go down often and they don't have much channels for $100/month.

The only issue with DTV is they don't cover data or voice so cable can give you triple play for like $150/month that covers all 3.
Thank you, this is a good idea as an option and I might be able to split with one other household so it will save money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
I just called direct tv. They bundle with verizon in my area. just got a quote of $108/month pre tax for tv/phone/internet
Ok, thanks. Calling tomorrow. Appreciate the info..

Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,111,468 times
Don't bother with Directv. Whenever there is heavy rain the picture goes out. Sometimes it will only be for a minute, other times it can be much longer depending on the severity of the rain. I have been to other people's houses that have Directv and they have the same problem. If you can get Verizon Fios that's the way to go. I've been using them for 6 years problem free.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,585,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Don't bother with Directv. Whenever there is heavy rain the picture goes out. Sometimes it will only be for a minute, other times it can be much longer depending on the severity of the rain. I have been to other people's houses that have Directv and they have the same problem. If you can get Verizon Fios that's the way to go. I've been using them for 6 years problem free.
Yes, you get maybe a 15min outage due to heavy rain but when cable goes down it can be for hours or days because of downed cable wires.

Comcast never gives a credit for outage, when I get an outage for DTV. They credit me $15 just for calling when my box died.

As for FIOS, it can go down as well due to signal issues they have in the area and Verizon support also sucks.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,111,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yes, you get maybe a 15min outage due to heavy rain but when cable goes down it can be for hours or days because of downed cable wires.

Comcast never gives a credit for outage, when I get an outage for DTV. They credit me $15 just for calling when my box died.

As for FIOS, it can go down as well due to signal issues they have in the area and Verizon support also sucks.
I have never had cable "go down for days" in my entire life. I've had Verizon Fios for the past 6 years and have not had a single outage. We were over my uncle's house last football season because he has Sunday Ticket with Directv. We ended up missing the last 10 minutes of a game because a thunderstorm rolled through and knocked service out. I used to lose so many DVR recordings because it would rain while I was recording something and I would end up missing sometimes up to 30 minutes of a show. I have never had a single problem with Fios.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 AM

14 posts, read 24,715 times
Depends what you are looking for. I have DirecTV simply because I am a Seahawks fan living in NJ so I need the Sunday Ticket to watch every game. If the Sunday Ticket package wasn't exclusive to DirecTV I might get FIOS instead if it was cheaper.

I have had DirecTV in Central NJ for 7 years and I can honestly say there is a problem with the weather/signal maybe 2-3 times a year tops. yes it's annoying if it screws up a recording or something but it's really not a major hassle I would not make a decision solely based on that factor.

DirecTV customer service is excellent, every time I call they offer rebates, discounts, etc... Overall I am very pleased with the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey