Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:12 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,936,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
I'm a bit shocked by the amount of anxiety and fear communicated in this thread. There are thousands of things that concern me much more than a double yellow.
You have a point, because I wonder who ends up buying homes on busy roads. I think the "double yellow" rule is probably overkill though. Growing up I lived on a county road a rural part of Hamilton Township that had a double yellow, but it wasn't "busy" or "major" by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
I don't understand the magnitude of people's fear. You'd think the OP had asked about buying a house next door to a registered sex offender! With that level of anxiety, how do you ever survive in overpopulated New Jersey?
What do you mean by fear and anxiety? Traffic noise is annoying and I don't want to listen to it. I have a long commute, work hard, and spend a lot of time out of the house. When I'm home the last thing I want to hear is tires whining on the pavement, and the "whoosh" of cars rushing by. Yes, a lot of New Jersey is overpopulated-that's why I live in Hunterdon County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,119,442 times
Quote:
I'm a bit shocked by the amount of anxiety and fear communicated in this thread. There are thousands of things that concern me much more than a double yellow. I don't understand the magnitude of people's fear. You'd think the OP had asked about buying a house next door to a registered sex offender! With that level of anxiety, how do you ever survive in overpopulated New Jersey?
Anxiety?
Fear?
How about just not wanting to deal with the added noise, congestion, and pollution if one's house is located adjacent to a busy roadway?

Where I live, it is so quiet that I can tell when the mail delivery truck comes down the street because it has a different sound than the sounds emanating from the occasional cars that pass down my street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

What do you mean by fear and anxiety? Traffic noise is annoying and I don't want to listen to it. I have a long commute, work hard, and spend a lot of time out of the house. When I'm home the last thing I want to hear is tires whining on the pavement, and the "whoosh" of cars rushing by. Yes, a lot of New Jersey is overpopulated-that's why I live in Hunterdon County.

+1

I can tell you that I have visited the homes of people who live on heavily traveled roads, and I didn't relish having to "play chicken" with the constant flow of traffic just to exit from their driveway. That's not fear or anxiety. It is just the desire to avoid something that IS avoidable if one makes a good choice when picking where to live.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:12 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,119,766 times
I like it nice and quiet. That's why I paid the extra premium for a house at the end of a cul-de-sac. My street is a fairly new street, and the homes at the other end, close to the major road were sold for quite a bit less. But then they ended up spending that money they saved, putting up a lot of trees as a buffer between the sides of their house and the major road. They actually asked the rest of the street to chip in for the trees, saying that the trees benefit us all. I told them that I don't have any money left over after having to pay the extra amount to live at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,148,319 times
Quote:
I'm a bit shocked by the amount of anxiety and fear communicated in this thread. There are thousands of things that concern me much more than a double yellow. I don't understand the magnitude of people's fear. You'd think the OP had asked about buying a house next door to a registered sex offender! With that level of anxiety, how do you ever survive in overpopulated New Jersey?
Not a fear...more a desire to avoid the annoyances associated with living on a busy road. Even if it's still set far back, it can still be nearly impossible to pull out of your driveway during rush hour.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 PM

172 posts, read 184,026 times
You will regret it. You will never be able to relax in your background for quite time. All you will ever hear are the cars whoosing by and motorcycles in the summer. Drag racing at night.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 AM

76 posts, read 95,328 times
Unless you are looking to post political signs or used cars where your property meets the road, I would never, ever recommend it. Consider the noise, pollution, and drivers knocking on your door, looking for directions, the nearest gas station, or a bathroom.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,472,612 times
Quote:
I survive not being on a major road. there are plenty of homes in nj not on major roads, its not a very hard thing to find. its a deal breaker. I wouldn't consider it for one second no matter how great a deal it is. I find the terms "anxiety and fear" to be strange. why would I want to sacrifice on something as important as my home?

Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,803,729 times
I lived on a major road... (CR 502 in bergen county) totally a bad move.

as an example... in retrospect, I would have certainly compromised the garage or even basement for a quiet street.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM

155 posts, read 297,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalersfan1974 View Post
Unless you are looking to post political signs or used cars where your property meets the road, I would never, ever recommend it. Consider the noise, pollution, and drivers knocking on your door, looking for directions, the nearest gas station, or a bathroom.

HAHA! I actually would like a high traffic area to put my HILLARY 2016 sign!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey