Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

i have recently got a job in jersey city, and need inputs how i commute from morris plains to jersey city
i am new to NJ, relocated from ohio one week back.

Any inputs is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,499,374 times
Well very eeeevil and very rrrracist, and no one is racist except Google, Google maps times it as about 40/45 minutes driving and about 1 1/2 hrs by public transit., taking the Mo & Es train to Nehrk (Newark) then you have to get from that station to the broad St station then the PATH to J City.

See if this displays :

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Morr...1443425400!3e3

Old 09-27-2015, 10:27 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,407,810 times
During morning commute, a regular drive of 40/45 minutes in that direction turns into very stressful hours. When I lived in that area, I avoided jobs in NJ that are close to NYC, the traffic is crazy annoying.

Since morris plains have a train station, use it NJTransit.com It looks like you grab a train to Newark and then the Path to JC. Maps & Schedule - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,436,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHARA View Post
i have recently got a job in jersey city, and need inputs how i commute from morris plains to jersey city

The easiest commute from Morris Plains to Jersey City would be to take the train from the station right in MP and get off in Hoboken to switch to the light rail (the light rail is located directly adjacent to the Hoboken terminal) and then take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to the stop closest to your work location in JC. There is no fee for the light rail with your paid NJ Transit ticket (get a monthly pass, they are cheaper than daily tickets). Or if your work location is closer to the PATH stations than the light rail stations, you can, as DPolo suggested, switch to PATH in Newark. It would save you the cost of the monthly PATH ticket if you can do the train ride to Hoboken and then hop onto the light rail for the ~5 min ride to JC, but that all depends on the exact location of your work site withing JC. I also agree with DPolo, you really want to avoid driving in, morning commutes heading east from Morris County to the business centers of NJ and to Manhattan are a royal PITA. Especially with the closure/construction of the Pulaski Bridge ongoing. There is no way driving it would be 45 min, it's more like 1.5 hours, depending on your exact work hours.

I am afraid Captne76 is out of touch with the current commuting situation in NJ, as it has been a long time since he was commuting in NJ. (and the light rail service is fairly new)

KoalaNJ

Old 09-28-2015, 02:19 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,499,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Especially with the closure/construction of the Pulaski Bridge ongoing. There is no way driving it would be 45 min, it's more like 1.5 hours, depending on your exact work hours.

I am afraid Captne76 is out of touch with the current commuting situation in NJ, as it has been a long time since he was commuting in NJ. (and the light rail service is fairly new)

KoalaNJ
I honestly have not done a morning commute that way in decades and yes the eastbound Skyway has been closed about 2 years for rebuilding, so if the transit system works out similar times to driving, hey.

Makes me wonder how far along that Skyway rebuild is taking shape since it has been almost 2 years already.

The thing about driving East to J City in the morning is you are mixing in with NYC bound traffic so the sooner you can escape that lineup, the better off you are.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 AM

227 posts, read 326,990 times
You can take the train from Morrisplains to hoboken and switch to light rail.
My husband takes the same train from Madison and then light rail from hoboken to exchange place and depending on which train it is, commute time can be different. it takes him 1 hr max.
We used to live in Bayonne and i drove from Bayonne to Basking ridge everyday and the traffic on the other side even as early as 630 AM was terrible. I would say skip the car and hop the train. The only thing you need to figure out is if you can drive to the station or walk? If driving, parking permit could be on a waitlist.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:02 AM

702 posts, read 535,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHARA View Post

Relocate somewhere that's not Morris Plains. Your fastest train to Hoboken is 62 minutes so after you add in the light rail (15-20 minutes including walking from the Transit terminal to the LR terminal) and getting yourself to the train station in Morris Plains, you're looking at 90 minutes each way. Believe me, you do not want to be spending 3 hours per day commuting. Your monthly Transit ticket is also going to cost over $400.

It would probably be better for you to drive, in all honesty. You just need to leave early enough to beat the traffic on rt. 78. You'll have to pay about $250/month to park. The Liberty State Park & Ride might be a good option for you.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:57 PM

12,098 posts, read 16,981,808 times
I did the reverse commute for about a year.

I lived in Downtown Jersey City and worked in Morris Plains.

It was a long time ago, but I don't remember it being too crazy.

Your commute is definitely worse, but 80 East is the worst of it.

At Morris Plains, you get onto 280 and 280 ain't all that bad.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:51 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Makes me wonder how far along that Skyway rebuild is taking shape since it has been almost 2 years already.
Mid April 2014, so a lot closer to 17 months.

But the 83 year old steel beams were found to be rusted away, which will probably add another year, so don't hold your breath for anything soon.
Pulaski Skyway found to be more deteriorated, adding to repair cost and time - News - NorthJersey.com

I think my favorite part of the story is that obviously the westbound lane is in just as bad shape and we'll need to pull that up for another three billion we can't take from the Feds this time, but nobody wants to talk about that.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,217 times
thanks for all the replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey