Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:50 AM

29 posts, read 28,024 times

Advertisements

We live in 2 family house occupying both apt/floors ( 4 people all together, 2bed/1bath each apt) .
What size of power generator may we need for power outage in case of storm or something?
It's not like it lasts for days but if we have one and it is cold we would like to have power for heater or two and if we could power one TV, box and our cells it would be even nicer .

I am not sure if it would make sense to power the whole breaker panel in the house and if it is safe enough to go for it but friend that work as maitnance contractor and helped us once to restore power said I have master fuse in that box and it is possible. Just in case what size of generator may be sufficient to power whole 2 family/ people occupying house?

Also, is it safe to have generator running in the basement? Is garage(detached) better place or maybe it should stay in the open air just under the patio table or such to be safe/away from rain/water?
Thanks in advance for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,956,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishEDview View Post
Also, is it safe to have generator running in the basement?
If you're asking this question seriously you're much better off sitting in the dark and throwing an extra sweatshirt on I get that people don't want to be without power, but preparation takes research and initiative. If you want to hook up a generator safely, first of all you might want to think about it before a storm is about to hit. Second, you should probably educate yourself about the basics first, like how an internal combustion engine works. If you did, you would know that running a generator in your basement WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY. Do a little basic reading, educate yourself, and then come back and ask some questions-better yet, ask questions on a forum that specializes in this sort of thing.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:01 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,006,487 times
Quote:
We live in 2 family house occupying both apt/floors ( 4 people all together, 2bed/1bath each apt) .
What size of power generator may we need for power outage in case of storm or something?
It's not like it lasts for days but if we have one and it is cold we would like to have power for heater or two and if we could power one TV, box and our cells it would be even nicer .

I am not sure if it would make sense to power the whole breaker panel in the house and if it is safe enough to go for it but friend that work as maitnance contractor and helped us once to restore power said I have master fuse in that box and it is possible. Just in case what size of generator may be sufficient to power whole 2 family/ people occupying house?

Also, is it safe to have generator running in the basement? Is garage(detached) better place or maybe it should stay in the open air just under the patio table or such to be safe/away from rain/water?
Thanks in advance for answers.
A 15K-20K generator will solve your problem. It should be professionally installed with a transfer switch by a licensed electrician. It is best fueled by natural gas or propane. The installation will cost you about $6,000-$10,000.

The cheap and dangerous alternative is what most of us do. A gasoline powered unit that you get from Home Depot. However you should not hook that up to your breaker panel. That is extremely dangerous both to you and to repair crews who could get electrocuted by feedback current from your generator. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do anything. Or do only things that are professionally installed by licensed electricians and meet the National Electrical Code. That means spending money. It also means staying alive and owning an intact house.

I am not sure your insurance will cover you if you burn down your house with a non-professional gasoline generator installation.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 AM

239 posts, read 378,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If you're asking this question seriously you're much better off sitting in the dark and throwing an extra sweatshirt on I get that people don't want to be without power, but preparation takes research and initiative. If you want to hook up a generator safely, first of all you might want to think about it before a storm is about to hit. Second, you should probably educate yourself about the basics first, like how an internal combustion engine works. If you did, you would know that running a generator in your basement WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY. Do a little basic reading, educate yourself, and then come back and ask some questions-better yet, ask questions on a forum that specializes in this sort of thing.
There's no time for that! A storm is coming so it's time to panic!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,175,813 times
Marc pretty much summed it up. We had an instance during hurricane Sandy that one of the guys on the Township Committee almost asphyxiated himself and his family by running his gasoline powered generator in his garage so it wouldn't get wet. I only mention he was on the TC because with all of the town business he was exposed to and all of the various departments, you'd think he would have known better.

As to the natural gas or propane types, it is very important that they be installed by a professional. You don't want the power running from your house to go out into the street and electrocute the guy working on fixing the problem. Also, those units need to be maintained and periodically tested. You don't install them and wait for years until you need it to turn it on.

Here's a couple of sites that will help you calculate the size you need based on what you want it to do.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us...s/buying-guide

Generac Home Backup Power | Home & Portable Generator | Generac Power Systems

Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Marc pretty much summed it up. We had an instance during hurricane Sandy that one of the guys on the Township Committee almost asphyxiated himself and his family by running his gasoline powered generator in his garage so it wouldn't get wet. I only mention he was on the TC because with all of the town business he was exposed to and all of the various departments, you'd think he would have known better.
Common sense is becoming less and less common.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:37 AM

389 posts, read 662,418 times
something I wasnt prepared for when I went generator shopping (yet is clearly common sense, now that I think about it): the generator cant be exposed to the elements (if/when I need to use it, I need to rig up some kind of shelter for it)

Old 10-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
something I wasnt prepared for when I went generator shopping (yet is clearly common sense, now that I think about it): the generator cant be exposed to the elements (if/when I need to use it, I need to rig up some kind of shelter for it)
I'm pretty sure the reason that "all-weather" portable generators are not made is idiotproofing. The probably manufacturers figure that if they build a generator that could be left outside in a driving rain they would have some idiot (and I don't doubt it) firing up his genny and plugging a cord into the 220V/20A outlet while standing in a puddle.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:13 PM

29 posts, read 28,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
WOW
Thanks Dad...

Old 10-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
WOW Thanks Dad...
Hey if you want to be the next Darwin Award winner, be my guest, but don't take my word for it-here's a synopsis of the past runner ups:

Generator safety urged after deaths, fire, illnesses in N.J. | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey