Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM

16 posts, read 26,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser01 View Post
I currently live in a townhouse in Mahwah. Its convenient to stores and highways. Now I'm looking to buy a house. I'm looking in the $350-$400 range. I've been looking in Oakland since its the next town over from me (plus near my friends and children who live in Rockland County). All the houses I've seen so far are not up to par when I get there and usually need work or something is wrong with the property. (I've been making sure they're not in a flood zone). Someone had mentioned Ringwood to me which I know nothing about but said I can get a nice house in my price range. Is it very rural? I want the convenience of stores, a supermarket, restaurants and strip malls closeby. I'm not sure if Ringwood has that?

If you can afford it, stay in Bergen County for the schools. Oakland's HS is excellent compared to Ringwood. Taxes in Oakland are high, have you looked in Mahwah for a home, your taxes would be much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 PM

16 posts, read 26,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Fair Lawn? Close to everything, tons of shopping, taxes are decent.

Also, since you don't need schools, Hawthorne could also be a good option.
Hawthorne schools are not up to par and does affect the value of a home whether you need the schools or not. Fair Lawn would be much better for the value of the home. We lived in Glen Rock with SUPERB schools years ago but their property taxes are through the roof, glad we left 26 years ago.

Fair Lawn is excellent middle of the road.

JMOFWIW.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:20 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,038 times
Rochelle Park and Maywood have some nice houses in that range. Maywood has a nice downtown that both towns benefit from and there are a few supermarkets to shop at.
Rochelle Park is a little less expensive and the taxes are a bit lower.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post31 View Post
Hawthorne schools are not up to par and does affect the value of a home whether you need the schools or not. Fair Lawn would be much better for the value of the home. We lived in Glen Rock with SUPERB schools years ago but their property taxes are through the roof, glad we left 26 years ago.

Fair Lawn is excellent middle of the road.

JMOFWIW.
Which is why the price:size/condition/lot size ratio of the houses in Hawthorne are better than in Fair Lawn. The school factor is already baked into the current selling price. Hence the suggestion.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Which is why the price:size/condition/lot size ratio of the houses in Hawthorne are better than in Fair Lawn. The school factor is already baked into the current selling price. Hence the suggestion.
I agree. You definitely seem to get more bang for the buck in Hawthorne and I wouldn't think that the schools are really that bad. It seems to me like a larger portion of Hawthorne has nice single family homes on nice sized lots then Fair Lawn, which seems to be a lot more condensed and filled with small lots.

Most of the usual suspects have already been named, but I would look at Suffern NY as well. I wouldn't totally write off Mahwah itself either. Surprised you haven't had any prospects there in that range

Old 10-21-2015, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 8,963 times
Do you need to drive a lot? where do you work? Commute to the City? Do you like big backyards? Do you need a town pool? Do you like to live closer to a walkable downtown or away in a more residential area? 1 level vs 2 levels? Modern/open layout vs traditional? House vs townhouse...
There is a whole list of questions to think about. Fair Lawn, Hawthorn both fit, as well as Midland Park and Paramus (to a degree). Mahwah might fit the bill as well. Hope this helps!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:33 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Oakland is my new favorite town because it is just so far removed from all the congestion and hugh demsity nonsense.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:38 PM

55 posts, read 49,959 times
I don't work but boyfriend works in Wayne so he has to commute. I currently live in townhouse in Mahwah but previously came from a house 3 years ago in Rockland. Because of his job we have to live in NJ. I miss my outdoor space and backyard so would like to move back to a house.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I like Oakland. It has great parks which give it a bit of a country feel, which Mahwah and Ramsey and Wyckoff had until the recent decades when they went into their overbuilding frenzy. But it still has access to everything you need. And Portobello.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:36 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser01 View Post
I don't work but boyfriend works in Wayne so he has to commute. I currently live in townhouse in Mahwah but previously came from a house 3 years ago in Rockland. Because of his job we have to live in NJ. I miss my outdoor space and backyard so would like to move back to a house.
You might want to look in the Pines Lake section of Wayne. There are a few houses in your price range and it is right over the border from Oakland. It is a wonderful lake community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey