Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times

Advertisements

What if Trenton starts to make a turnaround? I dont think there is anyone that would like that more than me. I decided to take a drive all the way down Calhoun St last night around midnight ( something I like to do for some reason - drive through urban neighborhoods at night, cause you dont have to worry about traffic and can take your time looking around. ) Calhoun St is pretty rough and Trenton is having a great deal of problems. But at least there is more to do nowdays... Kat Man Du, Waterfront Park, Sovereign Bank Arena, etc. This area used to be terrible and now its okay. Im just hoping other spots can see the same. Growing up in Princeton I good memories of Trenton... Delorenzo dinners, I used to go to Championship Sports bar when I was only 11 or 12 years old, had a good time watching the football games there on Sundays. Has anyone here been to Rossi's? I hear good things about it and want to check it out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Does anyone still care about this city?... Its the Superbowl Sunday... where should I go in Trenton to see the game? I know about Championships on Chambers St. any other sports bars around that area ?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
If trenton made a turn around I think it's safe to say hell would freeze over.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Eh... I dont think its as unrealistic as most people say. It will take a lot, and a lot of luck but you never know. But as I said before there are some good things about Trenton esp on the Waterfront by the stadium, and in the West Ward.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:27 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I think the Waterfront, and the area around the arena, have the best chance of improving in the near future.

Housing is so expensive in NJ...I think if Trenton could just improve their schools and crack down on crime, more people would be willing to give Trenton a chance.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
What if Trenton starts to make a turnaround? I dont think there is anyone that would like that more than me. I decided to take a drive all the way down Calhoun St last night around midnight ( something I like to do for some reason - drive through urban neighborhoods at night, cause you dont have to worry about traffic and can take your time looking around. ) Calhoun St is pretty rough and Trenton is having a great deal of problems. But at least there is more to do nowdays... Kat Man Du, Waterfront Park, Sovereign Bank Arena, etc. This area used to be terrible and now its okay. Im just hoping other spots can see the same. Growing up in Princeton I good memories of Trenton... Delorenzo dinners, I used to go to Championship Sports bar when I was only 11 or 12 years old, had a good time watching the football games there on Sundays. Has anyone here been to Rossi's? I hear good things about it and want to check it out...
I think a lot of us would love to see Trenton revitalize itself. But the problems are pervasive and well entrenched. The City is mis/undermanaged and the State continues to shovel good money after bad into it.
There are some "ok" areas of the city (Millhill, Hiltonia, the Waterfront, parts of State St) but the rest of it is poverty stricken and crime infested.
The folks who live there are desperate and stuck in an untenable situation.

We just did another homeless count in the city this week, 1100 adults and 466 kids. These are not people in shelters but people in parks and in building thresholds or boarded up structures. The Rescue Mission was packed this week and they don't take kids.

Hey Bob Kovacs this one's for you- the City of Trenton has almost decided to tear down the historic Trenton Central HS. (a Georgian Beauty) because it will cost the city 2.5 million to renovate it. They are saying that they can build two schools for a million each. What do ya think?

JIP- I love your passion and if you spearhead some initiative I'll support you all the way. But a late night drive down Calhoun St. is like a walk in the park. Try Carroll St., Hanover St. or better yet Walnut St. Even better , get some really interesting streets from Christina.

Last edited by jerseyj; 01-31-2008 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: entered the wrong number

Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,545 times
Why do they need two HS? I mean, really, they do not graduate many children. That is such a waste of state money, because you know they are not getting that money from property taxes! It is a shame too because that HS is so pretty.

Rossi's is fine. However, what was once the Italian section isn't anymore. So, just watch your back if you go there. It seems to be loved by old timers because of their memories. However, it is decent. There are other places I prefer.

You know you can get Delorenzos withour risking your life now! Robbinsville has a location. It is doing a great business and you will wait a long while to get in. But, at least it is in a nice safe location. It is in Washington Town Center on 33.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Until they get the gangs and crime under control - the city will not turn around anytime soon. Not a good place to invest money.

And dont run out of gas or break down on your little rides at midnight.....

Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3 View Post
You know you can get Delorenzos withour risking your life now! Robbinsville has a location. It is doing a great business and you will wait a long while to get in. But, at least it is in a nice safe location. It is in Washington Town Center on 33.
I heard about that... but it wouldnt seem the same to me, I couldnt do it. When I think about eating Delorenzos I couldnt picture eating it outside the city of Trenton! I might try it though

Old 02-01-2008, 08:15 AM

18 posts, read 72,741 times
Carroll St is not what it used to be no one is hanging out very quiet block now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey