Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 9,691 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Moving from Miami, FL to NY/NJ area for husbands job early next year. He will work in lower manhattan.

Planning to rent, max is $2800, prefer 3 bedrooms
We have 2 small children so schools are super important as are commute - as short as possible. Areas with good transportation for his job are important since he may not have car at first to drive into city.

I know something's gotta give but want to see which neighborhoods fit the bill.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 697 times
Montclair, New Jersey!! It is a beautiful town that has great schools, plenty of transportation to the city, and it's a walkable! I am a nanny there, I have lived there for 5 years, and I also went to college there. I am verry picky I myself just moved, and we are hoping to save some money to potentially buy in Montclair one day. But there is just such a great sense of community and a ton of activities for your children. Also not sure if you guys are foodies, but has some of the best restaurants in New Jersey. Definitely look into it Also Ridgewood, NJ is just as beautiful! Just a little bit longer of a commute to the city.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erz16 View Post
Hello,

Moving from Miami, FL to NY/NJ area for husbands job early next year. He will work in lower manhattan.

Planning to rent, max is $2800, prefer 3 bedrooms
We have 2 small children so schools are super important as are commute - as short as possible. Areas with good transportation for his job are important since he may not have car at first to drive into city.

I know something's gotta give but want to see which neighborhoods fit the bill.
Thanks in advance.
We do not drive to NYC, have to use public transportation. Many towns have either train or bus or both. train is a little better since buss gets stuck in traffic and is late to often.

Renting vise, also consider renting a house instead of a 3 bedroom apartment.

Monctlair is mentioned in every thread of this forum. There is a train running through. There is not that many apartments for rent there. Train costs about $150 a month.

Millburn has good schools and a train station, there are apartments in Milburn, It maybe more realistic to rent something there.

Rental Listings in 07039 - 17 Rentals | Zillow
This area code has good schools and buss service to NYC. Buss costs over $80 pier week.

Summit has a train station and decent schools.

There also good school systems in places where there is only a bus to NYC.

You can find information on how schools rate online (depending if you are looking for pre-school, middle school or high school) Cross reference that to places with train station. Check if there are apartments.

There are places that have inexpensive rent, descent school systems and only bus service to NYC.

NJ is not a place where you can get away with not having a car while having 2 kids. You will need at least one reliable vehicle between your family here.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 9,691 times
Thanks so much.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,151 times
Woodridge or Rutherford would work for you. They both have trains that go to NYC as well as busses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey