Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 2,528 times

Advertisements

Hi

I just moved from Massachusetts for work here in nj
can i lease car on my new address here in nj with massachusets driver license and also i will get nj insurance eventually i will change my driver license to nj ,right now i can't and i dont want because i dont know how this job gonna go and if doesnt work well i might go back

PS : i dont have car , neither insurance right now

advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 AM

414 posts, read 296,439 times
Sure, the finance company won't care where you came from.

The insurance might be a sticky point though. The finance guy at the dealership can help out with that though. I'm not quite sure how it works if you have no insurance, so others will chime in here, but the people at the dealer simply call up my company and read off the new car details and remove the trade-in (if applicable).

Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 AM

510 posts, read 500,074 times
You have a few months to get your license changed over but until then you will probably need to show some proof of residency with a utility bill, renters lease etc. I would call up a few insurance companies and explain your situation.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,708 times
The dealership is only going to care about proof of appropriate insurance coverage levels when handing over the new lease.

If you still have an MA license the vehicle registration will have to match the MA address.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 PM

well i call inssurance company and i can get new jersey inssurance with massachusets license will be some small extra fee

Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 PM

197 posts, read 530,134 times
Wouldn't it be better if you get a leased car from someone who wants to get out of their lease agreement?
New car leases are two or 3 year, pretty long time, if you are not sure about your job.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:19 PM

i dont know how safe is that

Old 11-19-2015, 06:44 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,243 times
1) If you are not sure on the job I would highly recommend you DO NOT lease a vehicle in any state. Once you sign the papers, you are on the hook for the lease payment for the entire length of the lease. It is VERY difficult to get out of a lease and damaging to your credit

2) If you are not sure if you are staying in NJ, lease the car in MA with MA DL and MA insurance.

3) You only have 60 or 90 days to get your license changed to NJ once you live here full time and have an address.

4) Once you change your DL, you will also need to change the registration on the car.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 AM

389 posts, read 664,137 times
I once leased a car in CT that I kept garaged in NJ, while I lived in NY (NY drivers license).

You need insurance in the state you will register the vehicle. You need to register the vehicle in the state where it will be principally 'garaged'. You do NOT (in NJ anyway) need an NJ license to do this-- it will just make things a little bumpier, but its the 'right way' to register the car.

You absolutely should change your license if you are moving down here, but that shouldnt prohibit you from getting the car

Old 11-21-2015, 03:07 PM

10,444 posts, read 6,974,789 times
I used to live in Massachusetts and was working alot in NJ (temporary corporate housing). While I was here in NJ, I purchased a new car and had it registered at my house in MA (where my licensed and real address was.)
A couple months later I officially moved from MA to NJ and about 6 months later received a letter from NJ that I was required to pay NJ sales tax on my car (even though my license and registration wasn't even changed). I fought it for a while, until they hit my credit and I was forced to pay the NJ 7% sales tax on top of the 5% paid to MA. Just beware what you're doing, and I purchased my car through a big car dealership here in nj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey