Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:31 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Just found this and wanted to share!

How Capicola Became Gabagool: The Italian New Jersey Accent, Explained | Atlas Obscura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 PM

378 posts, read 586,463 times
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I have never heard anyone say mutzadell, or Reet Goat. This article does not know what its is talking about. The only people who say it like are making a failed attempt at trying to sound italian.

And I dont think NJ has a separate Italian accent. The accent is for a variety of people in North Jersey. It is not exclusive to the Italians but the working class, and is not all italian.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have never heard anyone say mutzadell, or Reet Goat. This article does not know what its is talking about. The only people who say it like are making a failed attempt at trying to sound italian.

And I dont think NJ has a separate Italian accent. The accent is for a variety of people in North Jersey. It is not exclusive to the Italians but the working class, and is not all italian.
Oh I don't know.... *LOL*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcp8rN-YqLw

How to cut "gabagool"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv44WMh5Sw

Old 11-05-2015, 10:53 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Gabagool? Don't make me smack you up side the head. What were you thinking?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Then you've never been driving during the week after 7:00 p.m. and trying to get the traffic on 101.5. The Vinnie-bagadonuts goombah they have on manages to work "muzzadell" into every other sentence no matter what the topic is

Old 11-06-2015, 02:53 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
Now, my wife's family is from Long Island and not Jersey, they don't quite do the voiced consonants as much, but I certainly get yelled at when I say mozarella, ricotta or gnocchi American-style. Their versions are like mutzzarell, rig-oht, and what I can only spell as no-KEY-ah (which I hear as Nokia). It's quite annoying when they 'correct' me and I've always thought their pronunciations were a little suspect and likely due to some of their Sicilian roots. I know some Sicilians/Italians insist that they're not the same thing.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,149 times
Quote:

I have heard these pronunciations from a few people I know. 1 is from Brooklyn and the others are from North Jersey. All are with Parents straight from Italy. Actually now that I think about it, they might all be sicilian.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Debate over how Americans of Italian or Sicilian descent and or recent arrivals to this country pronounce words has raged almost as long as they have been immigrating to this soil. Things have only come into sharper focus since the near worldwide success of The Sopranos.

To the extent the Sopranos represents Italian-American culture is highly and hotly debatable. IIRC only a handful of characters on the show (Tony Soprano, Feech LaMana, Furio) who grew up speaking Italian.

That being said just as with almost every other European language there is a "high" spoken by the more educated/cultured and a "low" found mostly with the poor and or "peasants" if you will.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Then you've never been driving during the week after 7:00 p.m. and trying to get the traffic on 101.5. The Vinnie-bagadonuts goombah they have on manages to work "muzzadell" into every other sentence no matter what the topic is
Like I wrote, they are making failed attempts. But those are extenuating circumstances. Normal people never say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey