Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times

Advertisements

i know this is a tough request, but do you have any good recommendations? prefer somewhere in northeastern nj, esp. bergen, hudson, lower passaic, or eastern essex counties.

i'm looking to avoid the super popular, overly crowded places such as espnzone in the city (those types of places have probably been booked for several weeks, anyhow). i'm also not interested in chain restaurants/bars such as applebee's or chili's for the same reasons - it'll be next to impossible to get a seat unless i camp myself at the door when they open on sunday. i'd prefer a place with decent food and a good beer selection, but that's not mandatory.

wondering if there's a neighborhood restaurant/bar anywhere in the areas mentioned that has multiple tvs (fairly large to large) and a solid amount of table and bar seating but isn't well-known outside of its immediate neighborhood. someplace where i could conceivably show up less than 2 hours before the game, grab a seat, and watch the game without the place being ridiculously mobbed. i know almost every bar is going to be packed b/c the giants are playing in the game, but maybe there's a hidden gem, perhaps in an ethnic neighborhood where the game won't be a big deal?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i know this is a tough request, but do you have any good recommendations? prefer somewhere in northeastern nj, esp. bergen, hudson, lower passaic, or eastern essex counties.

i'm looking to avoid the super popular, overly crowded places such as espnzone in the city (those types of places have probably been booked for several weeks, anyhow). i'm also not interested in chain restaurants/bars such as applebee's or chili's for the same reasons - it'll be next to impossible to get a seat unless i camp myself at the door when they open on sunday. i'd prefer a place with decent food and a good beer selection, but that's not mandatory.

wondering if there's a neighborhood restaurant/bar anywhere in the areas mentioned that has multiple tvs (fairly large to large) and a solid amount of table and bar seating but isn't well-known outside of its immediate neighborhood. someplace where i could conceivably show up less than 2 hours before the game, grab a seat, and watch the game without the place being ridiculously mobbed. i know almost every bar is going to be packed b/c the giants are playing in the game, but maybe there's a hidden gem, perhaps in an ethnic neighborhood where the game won't be a big deal?

thanks.

any corner bar in bayonne - you have lots of choices in that department, LOL!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 AM

191 posts, read 698,184 times
In Nutley - the Mudhole (attached to Jim Dandy's restaurant) small place, tv's not that large but comfortable atmosphere and I believe free hot dogs w/ chili and wings (they have great wings).

Jim Dandy's - Home of the Killer Ribs // Home

In Montclair - The Office Beer Bar, I hear from the bartenders that it will be kind of quiet there on Sunday, two large tv's and good beer on tap.

The OFFICE Beer Bar & Grill (http://www.office-beerbar.com/wherearewe.php - broken link)#

Both are small chains but the places are decent and the beer is cold.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I'm not a huge fan of the Office in Montclair. I always preferred South Park Bar&Grill on S. Park Avenue. It has large screens and a decent bar menu. It's definitely a Giants bar, though, so it's likely to be more crowded than on a usual game day.

Another good neighborhood bar is the Cottage Bar (pub) in Teaneck. Definitely a great little place where everyone quickly gets to know your name.

Today's amNew York had some recommended spots in the city that aren't the typical sports bar, if you're up for the trip. Superbars for Superbowl Sunday -- amNY.com (http://www.amny.com/entertainment/dining/am-superbars0130,0,4368244.story - broken link)

Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
Any similar recommendations for Trenton?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM

81 posts, read 317,472 times
Geronimo's in Teaneck ?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
Do you really want to go to a bar/restaurant on Superbowl Sunday and the place is not busy? Just how bad is the food gonna be?

E

Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Any similar recommendations for Trenton?
Tir Na Nog on Hamilton Avenue, or if you want to head slightly further south to Bordentown City there are a lot of nice places plus the new Mastoris' sports bar on Route 206. I dunno how many Giants fans will be there though. Trenton is kind of the dividing line for Giants/Eagles it seems.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Do you really want to go to a bar/restaurant on Superbowl Sunday and the place is not busy? Just how bad is the food gonna be?

E
in all honesty, if the place has a large screen tv and seats, i could care less whether the food is any good. as long as i have a comfortable seat at a table or bar stool with a good view of the tv - and can actually hear the tv, which isn't a given at your typical super crowded bar/pub - then i'd be ok. i can always grab food somewhere else before or after the game.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM

30 posts, read 140,524 times
try general poor's tavern in hackensack on main st. its a nice little place and the food is good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey