Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times

Advertisements

I just thought of another one. My mother, aunts, etc.... would say the days of the week like this:

Sunday = "Sun-dee"
Monday = "mun-dee"

etc....

Love,
Shanny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM

34 posts, read 180,337 times
I grew up in South Jersey and left about 25yrs ago for college on the West Coast. I still luv it when I go to a diner in Jersey and the waitress comes up to the table and says "Whaddya what hun?" They all use the word "hun" for Honey! Or maybe it's universal and just a waitress thing, but Jersey waitresses do it better than anyone.

Went to the famous "White House" in Atlantic City for cheesesteaks and hoagies many yrs ago, and this was the conversation behind the counter,

Cashier: "Hey Tony your wife is on the phone"!
Tony: " Tell her I'm not here!" (Classic)

A Tourist paying for their bill ask the young guy behind the counter where the Greyhound station is located.

Counter Guy: "Yo Ma, where is the Greyhound Station?"
Ma: "Why, where you goin"?
Counter Guy: I aint go anywhere this lady wants to get to the Greyhound station.
Ma: I can't remeber ask you Uncle Tony!

Only in Jersey!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Really tomorrow ? ! Cool ! Could you pick up a few of my friends & bring them back to NJ too? Hmm lets see, bring Shannybanny, Karla with a K and JerZ.
It would be a quick swing over to CA for Shanny & JerZ and Karla is right there in your backyard of FL. Now THAT would be some roadtrip !!!
I'm here now!

and to be completely honest...I couldn't be happier.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 PM

15 posts, read 45,683 times
i went to the uncle floyd show up in newark when i was like 12 or 13. they really wanted me to go up in front of the camera and answer some question. should of went up. or how about that electronics store called, "crazy eddies" that went under, or how about that department store, "two guys".

i miss bradlees and jamesway. those were solid establishments.

it's called pork roll down in a.c. nobody called it taylor ham.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
See, I told you it was pork-roll. Even a Dr. agrees with me! And he doesn't play one on TV!

Love,
Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.VanNostrum View Post
i went to the uncle floyd show up in newark when i was like 12 or 13. they really wanted me to go up in front of the camera and answer some question. should of went up. or how about that electronics store called, "crazy eddies" that went under, or how about that department store, "two guys".

Old 02-12-2008, 06:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.VanNostrum View Post

Oh my God-Uncle Floyd-is he still around? I used to watch that all the time. I doubt anyone without ties to NJ would even know who Uncle Floyd is.

Yes-crazy Eddy-remember those commercials-didn't one of them go to jail for turning on the other one?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I just thought of another one. My mother, aunts, etc.... would say the days of the week like this:

Sunday = "Sun-dee"
Monday = "mun-dee"

etc....

Love,
Shanny
mine too..lol - thursday = "Tursdee" was the best one though : ))

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Oh my God-Uncle Floyd-is he still around? I used to watch that all the time. I doubt anyone without ties to NJ would even know who Uncle Floyd is.

Yes-crazy Eddy-remember those commercials-didn't one of them go to jail for turning on the other one?
"Uncle Floyd" Vivino! He was the guy with the variety show, who set a Guiness Book of World Records record for most consecutive minutes piano playing. He was on the NJ public TV station until about 1980. He was part of my childhood. The last time I heard of him, he was on the Bob Grant radio show in the 90s a few times, evidently they were friends. A friend of mine who went to school at William Paterson back in the day said he performed at some watering hole in Haledon on a regular basis. I wonder if that's still true.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times
And what are the colleges/universities called?
"Willy P." = William Paterson
"Fairly Rediculous" = Fairleigh Dickinson
"Harvard on the Highway" = Bergen Community College

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
I saw Uncle Floyd 2 years ago at a family ho down in Pompton Plains...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey