Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
I never even realized a roll and butter for breakfast was considered a jersey delicacy. I just assumed everyone grew up eating that.
Yes it really is a Jersey delicacy. When we moved to NH and told people up here about it they looked at us like-why the heck would you want to eat that. On our trip back home to NJ this past weekend - we had more than our share of buttered rolls from Wawa (among tons of other great NJ food). I am sure I put on a few pounds this past weekend-guess it will be 2x a day workouts this week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
you want a jerseyism.. how about:

Tommy used to work on the docks
Unions been on strike
Hes down on his luck...its tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day
Working for her man, she brings home her pay
For love - for love

She says weve got to hold on to what weve got
cause it doesnt make a difference
If we make it or not
Weve got each other and thats a lot
For love - well give it a shot

Chorus:
Whooah, were half way there
Livin on a prayer
Take my hand and well make it - I swear
Livin on a prayer

Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
T
Tommy used to work on the docks
Unions been on strike
Hes down on his luck...its tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day
Working for her man, she brings home her pay
For love - for love

She says weve got to hold on to what weve got
cause it doesnt make a difference
If we make it or not
Weve got each other and thats a lot
For love - well give it a shot

Chorus:
Whooah, were half way there
Livin on a prayer
Take my hand and well make it - I swear
Livin on a prayer
Definitely a Jersey'ism. I was in a wedding this past weekend with about 150 people at the reception-I would say 90% of them were from Central Jersey. When the DJ played living on a prayer practically the whole place was on its feet just when it would come on the jukebox at the Verona Inn when I was in college!

Here are few more musical Jersey'isms in my opinion:

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - Is it just me or are there substantially more girls named "Sandy" in New Jersey than anywhere else?
My Hometown - Maybe more of a "Freehold'ism"
Atlantic City
Mr. State Trooper
Jersey Girl
Wanted (Dead or Alive)
Runaway
Never Say Goodbye

And finally...laugh at me if you must, but even though they were from the world's corniest movie, you have to love the soundtrack:

Anything from "Eddie and the Cruisers!" To the credit of John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, when the songs started making the airwaves in the late '80s after the release of the movie people thought that they were from a new Springsteen album! And who can totally dislike a movie with Joey Pants?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
jeat? (did you eat)
no jew? (no did you?)

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Definitely a Jersey'ism. I was in a wedding this past weekend with about 150 people at the reception-I would say 90% of them were from Central Jersey. When the DJ played living on a prayer practically the whole place was on its feet just when it would come on the jukebox at the Verona Inn when I was in college!

Here are few more musical Jersey'isms in my opinion:

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - Is it just me or are there substantially more girls named "Sandy" in New Jersey than anywhere else?
My Hometown - Maybe more of a "Freehold'ism"
Atlantic City
Mr. State Trooper
Jersey Girl
Wanted (Dead or Alive)
Runaway
Never Say Goodbye

And finally...laugh at me if you must, but even though they were from the world's corniest movie, you have to love the soundtrack:

Anything from "Eddie and the Cruisers!" To the credit of John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, when the songs started making the airwaves in the late '80s after the release of the movie people thought that they were from a new Springsteen album! And who can totally dislike a movie with Joey Pants?
I remembered the first time I heard "Tender Years", and I thought to myself there had to be some means for Springsteen to sue.

YouTube - Sawyer & Kate - Tender Years Judge for yourself.
On a side note, who the hell are "Sawyer and Kate"?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I remembered the first time I heard "Tender Years", and I thought to myself there had to be some means for Springsteen to sue.

YouTube - Sawyer & Kate - Tender Years Judge for yourself.
On a side note, who the hell are "Sawyer and Kate"?
Sawyer and Kate are on the tv show "Lost"

Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Sawyer and Kate are on the tv show "Lost"
This goes to show you how much I watch TV, which is to say "never"! I've never heard of Lost. In fact, I couldn't name 5 TV shows. The Weather Channel and the NCAA basketball tournament are all I've watched since the Super Bowl.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This goes to show you how much I watch TV, which is to say "never"! I've never heard of Lost. In fact, I couldn't name 5 TV shows. The Weather Channel and the NCAA basketball tournament are all I've watched since the Super Bowl.
Wow, "Lost" is one of the biggest TV shows out there from the past few years (top 10). It looks like you won't be watching much TV for a while since the SB ended a couple months ago and the NCAA tournament will end in a couple days.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:57 PM

71 posts, read 321,621 times
My daughter claims that no one at her school understands "Taylor Ham" - but I'm sorry, in Jersey, that's what its called. Pork Roll sounds VERY unappetizing! LOL. Also, "Picking up Bagels" is just a normal, everyday (especially Sundays) thing to do, but only in Jerz. LOL I thought I was the only one who said "It's the Pedal on the right" while screaming at the slowass in front of me! And I believe we know "Fries with Mozz and Gravy" as "Disco Fries" due to the fact that the kids eat them at like 3 AM after coming back from the clubs in the city.

Last edited by JennyOnTheMove; 04-07-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM

71 posts, read 321,621 times
Hey we called it "Cabbage Night"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey