Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times

Advertisements

I'm quite happy working in NYC. Did the suburban NJ office park thing and spent lunch breaks imagining where I could hang a noose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm quite happy working in NYC. Did the suburban NJ office park thing and spent lunch breaks imagining where I could hang a noose.

What do you spend your lunch in NYC on ?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:41 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
What do you spend your lunch in NYC on ?
Can't speak for the other person, but I work in the city and the best part about lunchtime is walking. Yes, duh, you can walk in NJ, but walking in NYC is so much more interesting. You can take a different route into the streets each time and see different things, or you can walk along that magnificent river.

I worked in Jersey City for the past three years until we returned to the WTC earlier this year. You could walk along the river there, too, but walking the streets got pretty boring after the first few months.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
I go to the gym during my lunch break. eating my pb&j sandwich only takes a minute.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can't speak for the other person, but I work in the city and the best part about lunchtime is walking. Yes, duh, you can walk in NJ, but walking in NYC is so much more interesting. You can take a different route into the streets each time and see different things, or you can walk along that magnificent river.

I worked in Jersey City for the past three years until we returned to the WTC earlier this year. You could walk along the river there, too, but walking the streets got pretty boring after the first few months.
Agree. Walking, doing errands. There are thousands of businesses within a quick walk. There are a few parks I can walk to, and the East River. With Citibike, I can do a quick lap around Central Park during my lunch break. There are special events going on all the time. Wednesday the Veterans Day parade passed by a block away from the office, so we went down and took a look. When I worked out in Morris County anything and everything was a drive away. To me it's much more fun to walk 10 minutes to the post office than drive 10 minutes to the post office, find a place to park, etc.

After work in NYC, I can walk to bars/restaurants, to theaters and events, professional networking events, to MSG for a Rangers game, etc. All within a few minutes' walk. Over the past two weeks I've gone to a book signing, a lecture, and a comedy show after work. Two of those events were free! If I still worked in Florham Park I wouldn't be able to do that kind of stuff after work. I'd go home, maybe to the gym, but not before sitting in tons of traffic first.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If building a couple of new rail tunnels is too expensive then a cheaper alternative is for those NYC companies employing all those Dilberts in Manhattan is to have satellite offices across the river in NJ. This way their NJ workers don't have to schlep into the city everyday.
Plus you're not in contact everyday with the pointy haired boss but you can still brag about working for the Big Name Company in NYC.

No need for thousands to cross into NYC everyday to sit in your cube when NJ cubes are cheaper plus you save on commuter costs.

Leave the trip into NYC for the entertainment and dining options that you occasionally do.
Question of funding has been settled: Feds, Amtrak agree to pay for half of NYC rail tunnel | TheHill

Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
OK I guess it's settled then.

As for as my first post, nevermind.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:11 AM

510 posts, read 500,269 times
I can attest to working in NYC is way more pleasant than working the same job in the suburbs since you avoid driving your car during rush hour, you can walk around outside and actually do things during lunch and when you go home, you don't have to drive in rush hour traffic. Our office can employee people from the whole regions too, so you're not reduced to only local talent.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:58 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I can attest to working in NYC is way more pleasant than working the same job in the suburbs since you avoid driving your car during rush hour, you can walk around outside and actually do things during lunch and when you go home, you don't have to drive in rush hour traffic. Our office can employee people from the whole regions too, so you're not reduced to only local talent.
Do you need a prescription for those rose-colored glasses?

LOL, the city is great, but there might be a couple negatives....

Old 11-13-2015, 09:39 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Employer can't get top candidates outside of the city.
My company is on the JC waterfront and we have a recruit problem since taking a job in NJ is seen as a sign of personal failure among many NYC bound grads.

One of my friends is highly placed in marketing for P&G but rarely commutes into the NJ corporate office. P&G rents office space and apartments near midtown and many of the NJ employees will be required to commute to NYC for important meetings since high level managers live in Manhattan and refuse to commute to NJ everyday. I'm sure it saves P&G a bundle of money to locate middle rank employees in a NJ suburb but the upper echelon clearly prefer NYC.

NJ has appeal for relocating call centers or paper pushing business roles but the real movers & shakers of the business world will need to be pried away from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey