Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:40 AM

510 posts, read 499,836 times

Advertisements

Nope, I did both suburb and city for work and commuting to the city is way easier than driving within NJ. Maybe if you are very lucky and work within a few miles from your house it is a different story but most of the time I had to fight traffic on 80 or 23 or 46 or 17. Forget that noise. I also enjoy walking, so for me getting out to walk around is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Hillary is going to fix all of this...

Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Hillary is going to fix all of this...
Really, where did you read that? Or you just had to post something and this was the best you could come up with?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:35 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK I guess it's settled then.

As for as my first post, nevermind.
Fuller break down of how things came together and who is paying for what: Feds agree to fund half of new Hudson rail tunnels, Booker says | NJ.com

Personally don't see where "Amtrak" is going to get its one-quarter share. The thing has never turned a profit since creation and relies heavily on federal funding.

As for the Hilary Clinton comment, this will be a done deal before Obama leaves office hence the urgency.

All POTUS in their final terms like to look for something big (usually infrastructure) that they can attach their names to as a legacy. Schumer never tires of finding ways to bring yet more federal dollars to New York. Booker is a first term senator who needs to show he is bringing home the bacon and isn't just obsessed with "urban" issues such as black men, crime, and the effects thereof.

Obama, the governors of NY and NJ, along with Charles Schumer will work to see that this thing is tied up before Obama leaves and in particular any new Congress is elected in 2016. The idea is to get the financials locked down so they cannot be undone or messed with later. This is especially true as often Republicans in general have no great love of mass transit spending (in particular passenger rail) and certainly for Amtrak, the NEC and New York City. Christie is considered a RINO and especially suspect for cozying up to Obama.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:23 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Christie is considered a RINO and especially suspect for cozying up to Obama.
NFN but just who was Christie supposed to call after the Sandy devastation? If you can't get the President on your side with that kind of damage to your state, your not doing your Job.

Plus NJ needs the tunnels, who else is he gonna call?

I guess some seem to think if you don't agree with the presidents policy's you don't ask for help in an emergency.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Fuller break down of how things came together and who is paying for what: Feds agree to fund half of new Hudson rail tunnels, Booker says | NJ.com

Personally don't see where "Amtrak" is going to get its one-quarter share. The thing has never turned a profit since creation and relies heavily on federal funding.
The money earned by Amtrak in the NE Corridor will now stay in the NE Corridor and no longer be used to support the rest of Amtrak. It is possible that this is where they will get the money.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I detest working anywhere in JC. It's not cheaper than working in NYC. The commute cost is slightly cheaper but limited options. You are forced to take PATH train or bus while NYC I can take the bus, PATH, or NJTransit.

JC or even Newark is a nightmare to drive in during rush hour and the parking situation is expensive too. You either park somewhere cheap and have to walk a long time and risk getting mugged or robbed or pay the expensive parking fee to park near.

Only areas worth working are small NJ business centers that are near highways and have plenty of parking for free.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:23 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I detest working anywhere in JC. It's not cheaper than working in NYC. The commute cost is slightly cheaper but limited options. You are forced to take PATH train or bus while NYC I can take the bus, PATH, or NJTransit.

JC or even Newark is a nightmare to drive in during rush hour and the parking situation is expensive too. You either park somewhere cheap and have to walk a long time and risk getting mugged or robbed or pay the expensive parking fee to park near.

Only areas worth working are small NJ business centers that are near highways and have plenty of parking for free.
Well, the tax difference is significant. Moving across the river from NJ to NY earlier this year will cost me a couple thousand dollars in state taxes.

My commute costs the same. NJ Transit to PATH. I just stay on now till WTC instead of getting off at Exchange Place.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:45 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can't speak for the other person, but I work in the city and the best part about lunchtime is walking. Yes, duh, you can walk in NJ, but walking in NYC is so much more interesting. You can take a different route into the streets each time and see different things, or you can walk along that magnificent river.

I worked in Jersey City for the past three years until we returned to the WTC earlier this year. You could walk along the river there, too, but walking the streets got pretty boring after the first few months.

I hate foot traffic. See, I walk at a faster paste then most people, so in trying to get around Manhattan, people just get in the way.

South Mountain Reservation is far more agreeable with me.

I never really did like NYC, to me it was never very attractive. I like green natural things, like trees I am sure there are small parts of NYC that are ok, though.

After finishing grad school I was surrounded by "these people" they had 3 things in-common. They were Catholics, they used the word "finance" to describe their industry, and they insisted on wasting my time. So I went to Manhattan to escape them Man those waste my time and cause me "discomfort".

Old 11-14-2015, 11:57 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
So is it fair to say that Christie cancelling the previous ARC tunnel was a good thing?

Seems like this new project is larger and more future proofed, with NY and the federal government picking up a significantly larger percentage of the cost. Yes there was a 5 year delay, but the savings to NJ tax payers seem to be huge over the previous deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey