Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times

Advertisements

So, if you can ignore these facts:

1) Renovated Hospital building which was in disgusting condition, many deaths, many diseases, etc.
2) Horrible location with tons of crime

Then the Beacon is for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncampbell View Post
My husband and I are relocating from London, and we are considering the Beacon in Jersey City. It looks lovely, with all the amenities you could want, but I am concerned about its location.

Can anyone shed some light on it, whether its safe or not, etc?
hello i currently live in jersey city not to far from the beacon the place is lovely it used to be a hospital for many years it is like a community within itself i thunk it would be ok as long as your in your house there happens to be a housing complex down the street with a very high crime,drug,and murder rate im currently trying to move because of this activity in jersey city its only a good place to move if you plan on staying to yourself within your housing community there are wonderful places to eat, relax and enjoy yourself here in jersey city but the crime rate is growing and the killers are getting younger and younger try to read our jersey journal newspaper on a daily basis i hope this put a little lite on your move here god bless you on your move

Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie/tyson View Post
hello i currently live in jersey city not to far from the beacon the place is lovely it used to be a hospital for many years it is like a community within itself i thunk it would be ok as long as your in your house there happens to be a housing complex down the street with a very high crime,drug,and murder rate im currently trying to move because of this activity in jersey city its only a good place to move if you plan on staying to yourself within your housing community there are wonderful places to eat, relax and enjoy yourself here in jersey city but the crime rate is growing and the killers are getting younger and younger try to read our jersey journal newspaper on a daily basis i hope this put a little lite on your move here god bless you on your move
So let me interpret your post. It sounds like a nice walled prison. Enjoy.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Not one period used in that 4 line post. We all know JC has poor schools!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 AM

11 posts, read 46,409 times
The adjacent projects are the source of most of the crime, but they are definitely being torn down next year. Nearly half of the residents have already been moved to other locations. Call the City to get an official update on what's happening.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot629 View Post
The adjacent projects are the source of most of the crime, but they are definitely being torn down next year. Nearly half of the residents have already been moved to other locations. Call the City to get an official update on what's happening.
Well Dot for your information only one set of projects are potentially going to be knocked down. Did you forget The Booker T projects that are also next to the beacon and the lafeyette projects that are next to the Booker T. Oh thats right the owners of the condos want to forget that they bought next to 3 SETS of projects not one. I get it, the owners of these units only want positive spins of the buildings.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM

22 posts, read 37,352 times
What are you talking about? We are not right next to the other projects. AND if you paid attention you would know ALL high density projects are slated for tear down. I don't know anywhere, in any city, (not burbs) that isn't near low income housing or projects. Most folk know that plenty of everyday folk live in projects and are not dangerous. And we know you have sour grapes because you were fired from The Beacon but get over it already. You should be glad about it since you are afraid of the area and hate The Beacon.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Mary, do a google or a bing map search and you will find the Booker t projects are 400 feet from Montgomery housing. I didn't get fired from the beacon also. As far from me hating the beacon I don't. I dislike the posters that only come on to this site that live there and try to tell everyone that it's fine and dandy simply because they bought there. One question can you walk out of your walled complex and enjoy a nice dinner at a nearby restaurant. Can you go for a evening stroll in July through the projects. Can you park your auto outside and feel safe that it will be there tomorrow. I could go on and on. But denial of admitting the area is the pits is getting to the posters that live there. If it was a great place the owners wouldn't have to hawk the place on the internet it would have sold out already. All of your posts along with others were only about how nice the beacon is.Theres two views of everything not just"It's a great place to buy and live"

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM

22 posts, read 37,352 times
I think we all admitted that the area is not pretty. I am used to living in cities because I enjoy the conveniences. Van Voorst Park and Liberty State Park are very near as is Grove Street where there are many restaurants. You, and others, don't just talk about the area, you exaggerate the danger in all projects and assume the worst of the residents. I have been here three years with no problems incuding walking around at night. NO I don't stroll through the projects at night because I have no business there. The residents don't come out stalking me as I walk by, they are not extras in a zombie movie. If I were the type to allow anyone to dictate my comings and goings I would be more worried in a dark quiet town where noone can hear me scream or wood chipping machines You can stereotype any area but I choose caution instead of judgement.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,318 times
Default The Beacon maybe you should keep seekin

First, I like Bob's review, nice objective and true. I lived in the area for 15 yrs, recently moved; I also have close ties to the beacon luxury apartments now. I am always in the area. Living in that area I was never afraid of being robbed and I would walk to path station (ten min walk) now at night If you are roaming the neighborhood, a john will probably try to pick you up, (even if your a man)you might even meet some undesirables. Most of the folks know not to mess with anyone that doesn't look like one of their own, cause that brings (heat) the cops to the neighborhood. With the pros and pimps and the Cocaine ring 2 blocks away nobody wants that.
I think if you don't hang out in the neighborhood your fine. I will tell you one thing that's true the residents are very happy at the beacon. They take their cars in and out and the reliable shuttle service. One thing that cracks me up is the picttures of the neighborhood on the website, they do not reflect the neighborhood, those are pics from deep downtown JC. But I would buy because of this aspect... the condos will be worth so much more later, you will triple your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey