Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
The Beacon neighborhood is safe, and there are plenty of businesses--restaurants, grocery stores, etc. you can walk to. However, it's not the most convenient place to live in Jersey City for getting to other locations. Unless you like stressful driving and paying a fortune to park, the easiest way to get to New York would be on the Journal Square PATH trains. Now, the JS PATH is not exactly a long walk from the Beacon, but it's not exactly short either. I haven't actually timed it, but I'd guess 10-15 minutes (or more, depending on how quickly you walk). That's going to be a bear in bad weather, especially as you're not going to be used to it being as cold as it gets here (you won't have to worry about snow much--I've been here 13 years now and for most of them, it's snowed only a few days per winter, and snow hardly ever sticks here--you're far more likely to get freezing rain). There will probably be some kind of shuttle bus for The Beacon, and there are the city buses, but both will be more of a hassle for a commute than if you could just walk to the PATH.

Also, for bigger/fancier shopping areas, you'd have to either drive or take a bus to the Newport Mall (there is parking there, and free if you park in the Shoprite lot, but it can get crowded on weekends), and to places like ShopRite (a grocery store), BJs (one of those member's only "quantity" supermarkets), and Target (which has a bit of everything).

Considering all of that, as well as the price of Beacon condos, it may be a better idea for you to look at the buildings in three different places--(1) the new development going up around the Marina off of Grand Street; (2) closer to the waterfront near Exchange Place (which actually kind of merges with the new development by the Marina as you go west), and (3) closer to the waterfront near the Newport Mall. You should be able to find something similar in one of those buildings, for about the same price and with about the same amenities, but you'll be much closer to the PATH trains (either Grove St., Exchange Place or Pavonia/Newport), as well as the Ferry (if you get a place near Exchange Place), and shopping. Per the criteria of what most people use for a "safe" neighborhood on this forum, you'll also be in a safer neighborhood.
I was born and raised in Jersey City, as a matter of fact i was born in the Beacon, when it was still Medical Center, and i'll say that area is not safe. For that kind of $$$ i agree downtown Jersey City,Hoboken,Blvd East are cleaner and safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
I was born and raised in Jersey City, as a matter of fact i was born in the Beacon, when it was still Medical Center, and i'll say that area is not safe. For that kind of $$$ i agree downtown Jersey City,Hoboken,Blvd East are cleaner and safer.
One of these days someone will take me up on this offer: Please take a walk with me in that neighborhood and point out to me what's not safe. Seriously, I'm not just saying that. Let's meet and take a walk around there.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
One of these days someone will take me up on this offer: Please take a walk with me in that neighborhood and point out to me what's not safe. Seriously, I'm not just saying that. Let's meet and take a walk around there.
Ok let's take a walk now, let's name some surrounding streets, MONTGOMERY ST,BERGEN AVE,SUMMITT AVE,STORMS AVE,CORNEILLISON ST, just a few to start, let's walk around any of them late night with money on us and see what happens.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Dessert rat your love of Jersey City is fine. I have lived in Jersey City for forty years. I have been in the city for over 50 years. 31 years in law enforcement. Now to the original post. That area is crime infested, you have two of the worst public housing projects in Jersey City maybe the state right next to your buildings. I have been shot at in the Montgomery projects. Someone tried to mug me right in front of the Beacon when it was the Jersey City Medical Center until I took a shot at him and he ran away. There is a new section for police on Cornelison Avenue in the basement area of the beacon. The mopes break into police cars there. And no dessertrat I don't want to go on a photo shoot with you. To the OP look elsewhere as you will lose money in that business deal. Definitely capital NO.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Ok let's take a walk now, let's name some surrounding streets, MONTGOMERY ST,BERGEN AVE,SUMMITT AVE,STORMS AVE,CORNEILLISON ST, just a few to start, let's walk around any of them late night with money on us and see what happens.
Sure, would tomorrow be good for you? We could begin at, say, 10:00 p.m., or if you don't think that's late enough, I could do, say, 4:30 a.m.

If it has to be something like 2 or 3 in the morning (not good for me because of my sleep schedule), are you saying that it's only a problem if someone is walking around at 2 or 3 a.m.?

Last edited by DessertRat; 02-03-2008 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
That area is crime infested, you have two of the worst public housing projects in Jersey City maybe the state right next to your buildings.
Ridiculous lies. Jesus, at least try to be somewhat less hyperbolic.
Quote:
I have been shot at in the Montgomery projects.
Wait--you just said you're in law enforcement. Sometimes people in law enforcement are shot at. Or are you saying that:
(a) it had nothing to do with your law enforcement job,
(b) you were shot at recently there, and because of this
(c) someone who lives in the area is likely to be shot at?
Quote:
Someone tried to mug me right in front of the Beacon when it was the Jersey City Medical Center until I took a shot at him and he ran away.
Someone walked up to you and, what? When did this happen? What is the likelihood of it happening to someone in that area?
Quote:
no dessertrat I don't want to go on a photo shoot with you.
Because you're full of s#^&. Stop lying.

I'm not campaigning for Jersey City. I'm campaigning for less bs, less ignorance, more facts. The original poster was interested in JC and The Beacon. They deserve facts. Not nutcases ranting bs. It would be nice to see someone who has the balls to show up in person and support their bs. You would think someone in law enforcement would.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Dessertrat. Okay good for you. Lets see the area with the housing projects are wonderful. Lets all move there. And I was sitting at a traffic light in my private car in the summertime when some dirtbag put a steak knife to my throat and attempted to rob me. I pulled off about 100 feet and than chased him. THATS RANDOM VIOLENCE. Its called aggravated assault and attempted robbery. So get off your pipe dream of telling people that live next to the projects that they are safe.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Dessertrat. Okay good for you. Lets see the area with the housing projects are wonderful. Lets all move there. And I was sitting at a traffic light in my private car in the summertime when some dirtbag put a steak knife to my throat and attempted to rob me. I pulled off about 100 feet and than chased him. THATS RANDOM VIOLENCE. Its called aggravated assault and attempted robbery. So get off your pipe dream of telling people that live next to the projects that they are safe.
Yeah, right, an area is dangerous because it's projects and it's not all just upper class honkeys living there. Ooh, stay away from poor people! Those folks are black--watch out! Those folks are Spanish--make sure you've got your wallet!! Oh no! People are hanging out on the street corner and they do not look like investment bankers!!!!

You're making me sick.

Also--you were sitting at a traffic light and someone put a steak knife to your throat? That's extremely hard to believe. What year was this supposed to be anyway? And what the hell happened to the other questions I asked. They weren't rhetorical.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right, an area is dangerous because it's projects and it's not all just upper class honkeys living there. Ooh, stay away from poor people! Those folks are black--watch out! Those folks are Spanish--make sure you've got your wallet!! Oh no! People are hanging out on the street corner and they do not look like investment bankers!!!!

You're making me sick.

Also--you were sitting at a traffic light and someone put a steak knife to your throat? That's extremely hard to believe. What year was this supposed to be anyway? And what the hell happened to the other questions I asked. They weren't rhetorical.
Well if you lived in JC your whole life you somehow would be a statistic also. And it figures use the race card. Just be honest that area is the pits. And yes JC has many other fairly safe areas but the Beacon is not one of them. Well I tried, but if I make you sick, theres over 225,000 others on this forum I would enjoy having an intelligent conversation with and it appears your not one of them.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:10 PM

DesertRAT we are not here to argue with you, if i was in the area i'd probably think first about meeting no but seriously out of all the people who posted here so far in this thread we all agree except you, isn't that sort of strange, think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey