Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM

106 posts, read 895,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
For God sakes they turn just about anything into a luxury condo now in JC, that place was a hospital
LOL. It's true that anything that doesn't move out of the way gets turned into a luxury condo here in JC.

If you don't like living in a city, you won't like Jersey City, and that's all there is to it. Jersey City is a big city, with both the good and the bad that being a city brings.

The Beacon is beautiful.

I have walked on Montgomery Street at all hours of the day and night for over 20 years and nothing has ever happened to me, so I am living proof that setting foot on Montgomery Street does not mean certain death. There are some areas that I wouldn't wander around at night alone (like Garfield Ave for instance), but Montgomery Street has a lot of vehicle and bus traffic as well as pedestrians. I'm sure there is some crime there, as there is everywhere.

Yes, there is a higher crime rate in cities, but painting Jersey City as some sort of wild west ghetto is disingenuous. Jersey City houses a broad spectrum of people, from the very poor to the very rich. There is more than one area in town where people with varying economic status co-exist. There are good areas, bad areas and mixed areas. People need to use common sense when they walk or drive around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,264,404 times
It's not so much that it's a terrible area, it's just not an area that's decent enough to justify spending the kind of money you need to spend to buy in the Beacon. If you're going to drop 3/4 of a million on a place, you expect some decent restaurants, shops, etc., to be in walking distance- not the low end junk that's in the area (or at least I would expect that, but maybe I'm strange......)

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 AM

416 posts, read 1,710,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
DesertRAT we are not here to argue with you, if i was in the area i'd probably think first about meeting no but seriously out of all the people who posted here so far in this thread we all agree except you, isn't that sort of strange, think about it.
Right. Because argumentum ad populums aren't fallacies.

If 9 out of 10 scientists think that phlogiston is the agent of combustion, then phlogiston must be the agent of combustion.

(And by the way, that's assuming that the board is something like a representative sample of the scope of opinions about the area, which is hardly supportable; so even if we bought argumentum ad populums, the opinions here are hardly sufficient.)

Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCParalegal View Post
Yes, there is a higher crime rate in cities, but painting Jersey City as some sort of wild west ghetto is disingenuous.
Right, and it makes me wonder what's wrong with those folks . . . or at least what their agenda is.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 AM

828 posts, read 3,130,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
Right, and it makes me wonder what's wrong with those folks . . . or at least what their agenda is.
Why do you think that some of us have an agenda? (LMAO)
Paranoia will destroy ya...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Why do you think that some of us have an agenda? (LMAO)
Paranoia will destroy ya...
It seems there are only two possibilities for the utter nonsense. That's one of them.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 AM

Lighten up, Francis.

I couldn't give two s%$*@ about JC. I left Hudson County 11 years ago, I stopped working there about 7 or 8 years ago. The place was a pigsty back then, and still is. I am only telling the truth.
BTW, I see by your signature that you are bailing out and moving to Nevada...or is it Wyoming...or is it...
I guess that JC does not have everything for you...LOL.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I couldn't give two s%$*@ about JC. I left Hudson County 11 years ago, I stopped working there about 7 or 8 years ago. The place was a pigsty back then, and still is. I am only telling the truth.
No, that's just a bizarre opinion.
Quote:
BTW, I see by your signature that you are bailing out and moving to Nevada...or is it Wyoming...or is it...
I guess that JC does not have everything for you...LOL.
As I said--earlier in this thread, I believe--I'm not campaigning for Jersey City. I'm campaigning for more facts and less bizarre advice to people who could use it. "Jersey City is a pigsty" is hardly a fact. "Jersey City has crime" and "people get murdered there" are facts, but so are "Any city in the world has crime" and "People get murdered in any city in the world". Other facts include, "The number of murders per capita in a given location is not sufficient to tell you how likely you are to be murdered in that location". There are many others. It's nice to give folks opinions, too, but they need facts more than anything, especially as there's no reason to expect that they'll share one's opinion of anything.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
It's nice to give folks opinions, too, but they need facts more than anything, especially as there's no reason to expect that they'll share one's opinion of anything.
DR, I have posted facts before...correct?
They were called statistics...they are facts.
You downplayed all of the stats that I posted.
For a City of 200,000 people JC has a higher than normal crime rate.
It does not matter if it happens in "whateva" section of Jersey City, or if the crime has not happened to you, the crimes have still happened.

You get the stats.
You then tell people that people like myself have an agenda.

I have read some of your other posts in other sections of the forum. YOu are doing the right thing (not like you need to hear that from me) by moving out of JC.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
DR, I have posted facts before...correct?
Occasionally you do, sure.
Quote:
They were called statistics...they are facts.
I mentioned statistics in the last post above, too. Did you not read that?
Quote:
You downplayed all of the stats that I posted.
You end with the statistics as if it's saying something about the safety for people asking questions on this board. I just said something about that--a fact, too. I've said it a few times, but it seems to be above the intellectual ability of some people to grasp it.
Quote:
For a City of 200,000 people JC has a higher than normal crime rate.
How do we translate that into the likelihood of someone being safe here? I've asked you this before, and you've ignored it before. Most folks aren't morons. They can look up per capita crime statistics on a search engine. It doesn't tell them what they want to know, which is if they're likely to be safe.
Quote:
You get the stats.
You then tell people that people like myself have an agenda.
Because you end with the stats that anyone could easily find. Either there's something odd about you where you can't grasp the more complex facts related to statistics, or you've got an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey