Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 AM

347 posts, read 863,207 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a service/company in the Northern Ocean County area that would remove large oak trees at no or low cost in exchange for the lumber??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
I doubt that any exist.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
For One (a few) Tree(s), Nope....

Acres and acres of them Yes ... (And some $'s also)

Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
Does anyone know of a service/company in the Northern Ocean County area that would remove large oak trees at no or low cost in exchange for the lumber??
Most of the outfits that do this kind of work are located in my area and parts north/west because a lot of their business is here and in NY/PA. Mountain Top Logging is one such company-I believe they're located in Lebanon. I see their ad in the Treasure Hunt all the time but I have no connection to them:

Catalogs

Keep in mind that when these types of companies bid on timber, they're usually looking at trees by the acre that are going to result in hundreds of board feet of lumber. I'm assuming that you're talking about a few trees on a residential lot. It's simply not worth the time and fuel to fell a couple of oak trees, truck them to a mill, have them sawn, and to end up with a small amount of lumber.

Also, many mills will refuse to saw trees from residential properties anyway because you never know what you might find inside them. Over the years cutting firewood I've found nails, spikes, bolts, steel rods, bullets, concrete, etc... No one wants to ruin a $1000 blade for $50 worth of lumber. Your best bet is to just call a local tree service. If you're willing to put in the work you could have them buck it to fireplace length and leave it on your property (saving a disposal fee), split it, and sell it by the cord. A cord of seasoned (split and stacked for at least one year) oak can fetch $250.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:56 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
This is usually the best time of year to hire a tree cutting crew. Their season is winding down and they will be looking for work. Wait until December when it starts getting cold and you can probably get a really good deal.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:43 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
try craigslist, my coworker just had about a dozen trees removed for free. he actual felt cheated at the end since he got more responses from craigslist after the fact offering to pay him for the trees

Old 11-09-2015, 11:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
One warning about using a CL reply,

Most of them are going to be looking for the free firewood, Will be a guy, his friend and a pickup truck, If they get hurt, it will be on your home owner insurance, since i would be 99% sure to say they don't have there own insurance.

ChainSaws, Falling trees, What could possible go wrong???

Whatever company you get, insist on a certificate of insurance, and a Certificate of worker Comp coverage, Before they do anything.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
try craigslist, my coworker just had about a dozen trees removed for free. he actual felt cheated at the end since he got more responses from craigslist after the fact offering to pay him for the trees
Flyonpa beat me to it but:

Who was offering and who actually did the work? I'm betting they were not licensed, bonded, and insured tree companies. Anybody who allows an unlicensed/uninsured individual to fell trees on their property is asking for trouble. Too much can go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
ChainSaws, Falling trees, What could possible go wrong???
Oh I don't know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A38tbdu6ugk

Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 AM

347 posts, read 863,207 times
We have 3 large oak trees on a residential lot no where near electric lines our home, neighbors homes etc. Would want an "official" company that is licensed and insured. We are not interested in keeping any of the wood.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
We have 3 large oak trees on a residential lot no where near electric lines our home, neighbors homes etc. Would want an "official" company that is licensed and insured. We are not interested in keeping any of the wood.
Then you're going to have to pay something to get it removed, no two ways about it. I would call at least three companies though. I know you're not interested in "keeping" the wood, but depending on how many cords you get out of the trees you could save some money by allowing the tree company to leave it on your property, and maybe even make a few dollars selling it as firewood. Oak is some of the best firewood there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: