Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 10,389 times

Advertisements

I have some financial difficulties due to unemployment. I was looking to withdraw NJ Alternate Benefit plan (401k or exactly called 401a) retirement contributions, but was told i can only withdraw my contribution and employer match will only be available after age 55. I have run out of resources. I am vested and employer contribution is mine to take but restricted by age.

I had a chat with HR and plan carrier, but they claim there are no provisions for hardship withdrawal. I had also called NJ division of pension and benefits, was told that i can withdraw, but they only handle ABP withdrawal submitted through employer. My learning thus far is that there are no clear rules on provisions permitted under ABP.

Does any one know any provisions/exception to NJ ABP which allows cash distribution from remaining employer match/contribution before age 55?

Division of Pensions and Benefits

Thank you

-- re-post from retirement forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfscientist View Post
I have some financial difficulties due to unemployment. I was looking to withdraw NJ Alternate Benefit plan (401k or exactly called 401a) retirement contributions, but was told i can only withdraw my contribution and employer match will only be available after age 55. I have run out of resources. I am vested and employer contribution is mine to take but restricted by age.

I had a chat with HR and plan carrier, but they claim there are no provisions for hardship withdrawal. I had also called NJ division of pension and benefits, was told that i can withdraw, but they only handle ABP withdrawal submitted through employer. My learning thus far is that there are no clear rules on provisions permitted under ABP.

Does any one know any provisions/exception to NJ ABP which allows cash distribution from remaining employer match/contribution before age 55?
I'm not really understanding. Do you work for a state agency, a local government, or a state college/state authority? Also, can you take a loan? Finally, depending on what you're specific situation is there might be better options than liquidating your pension.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
You should be able to get a copy of the plan, and I would think that it would specify if/how withdrawals are permitted.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:37 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You should be able to get a copy of the plan, and I would think that it would specify if/how withdrawals are permitted.
It sounds like an issue of the Division of Pensions and Benefits not talking to the HR rep of whatever state agency/organization he works for. There are two types of public pensions in NJ, Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), which is a defined benefit system, and Alternate Benefit Program (ABP), which is modeled after a private sector 401K. The employee contributes a percentage and the state matches it, but it is not a defined benefit plan. I can't imagine it wouldn't have an early withdrawal or loan option. I know that PERS does.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
It sounds like an issue of the Division of Pensions and Benefits not talking to the HR rep of whatever state agency/organization he works for. There are two types of public pensions in NJ, Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), which is a defined benefit system, and Alternate Benefit Program (ABP), which is modeled after a private sector 401K. The employee contributes a percentage and the state matches it, but it is not a defined benefit plan. I can't imagine it wouldn't have an early withdrawal or loan option. I know that PERS does.
Thank you Badfish740, and HalfFull.

I worked at University, participated in NJ ABP for 4 years, my contribution was 5% of my salary and employer matched with 8%, after one year of participation into ABP i am vested so i am entitled to take everything.

The loan option is not available after termination, and same for hardship withdrawal-they do not consider terminated employee for hardship.

They allow early withdrawals only to portion of my contribution with 10% penalty in addition to 20% tax, and was told that the employer contribution will only be allowed after i reach age 55.

I am trying to withdraw remaining employer contribution due to unemployment hardship, but they keep telling me age restriction.

My question is does anyone have idea of any provisions that allow withdrawal of remaining employer match?

Thank you

Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Here are the exact words
Lump-sum cash distributions to members under the age of 55 are limited to the member’s contributions and
earnings. The remaining employer contributions and earnings are only available after age 55.

There is no minimum retirement age under the ABP. A member may begin collecting an annuity, or take a
cash distribution, at any time after termination of employment; however, if you return to public employment
in New Jersey, you cannot participate in any State-administered retirement system. The member will
automatically be considered retired, regardless of age, if there is any distribution of mandatory contributions.

i keep getting same answers from HR people, they don't discuss any exception which would otherwise allow hardship withdrawal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey