Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,100,774 times

Advertisements

You're kidding right? Every other transplant in NC is from Jersey and most love it and will never return plus, all the transplants I meet there from Florida are originally from Jersey. They call themselves half backs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,279,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yet here, in the NJ forum, you have people making more than those in other parts of the nation, with homes that are worth much more than the homes in those other parts of the nation, many of whom could buy a home in cash someplace else with just the equity in their NJ homes, and they claim to be 'stuck' here.
As always, you presume that everyone in NJ is in a highly-paid position and is living in a house that they've owned for decades and have oodles of equity in. You forget that the average income in NJ is in the $70k range, and that many people have homes that they bought at/near the height of the market, and therefore have zero or negative equity.

Your first statement about "I think NJ is the only state forum in C-D where you will find so many people "planning" to move away and yet somehow never, ever actually doing it" is probably right though- but there's a good reason for it that you don't seem to see in your idylic little world where you can make any change you'd like in the flip of a switch.

There are, however, a large number of folks who have made the move, and over time you'll begin to feel the impact of that in NJ. I know...I know....good riddance to "the whiners", and "the weak", right?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,756,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
As always, you presume that everyone in NJ is in a highly-paid position and is living in a house that they've owned for decades and have oodles of equity in. You forget that the average income in NJ is in the $70k range, and that many people have homes that they bought at/near the height of the market, and therefore have zero or negative equity.
People in such a position are not unique to NJ - every state has people burned by the housing market, most states much worse than NJ. Furthermore, those people do not represent the majority of homeowners in NJ by any stretch.

Quote:
Your first statement about "I think NJ is the only state forum in C-D where you will find so many people "planning" to move away and yet somehow never, ever actually doing it" is probably right though- but there's a good reason for it that you don't seem to see in your idylic little world where you can make any change you'd like in the flip of a switch.
If I'm missing it, I'd like someone to point it out to me. But nobody ever does. All I get is speculation based on the experiences of a small minority (which exist in every state, not just in NJ). Many of the whiners and complainers indicate that they've lived here for well over 10 years which means that they bought when home prices were low and that they have built up considerable equity since then. If someone's $450,000 home which he paid $250,000 for 15 years ago has even $100,000 equity, even if it has devalued to $350,000, that is a good $200,000 or so he can pocket. For $200,000 that person can find a comparable home in his own utopia which will be paid for and have lower taxes. Such a person could work just about any job to pay the bills on that home. But, somehow, he never leaves NJ. Why???? Because the REALITY is that the utopia he wants to move to doesn't even have decent low-paying jobs and that the taxes aren't really that much lower and in NJ that person is better off and KNOWS it.

So, it results in a lot of whiney blathering about a utopia that such a person will never move to, but will instead use this as the reason for his misery in life. This thread typifies that - "Who WANTS to move out of NJ??" Please - if most of the whiners on here REALLY wanted to move out they'd have done it instead of complaining.

Quote:
There are, however, a large number of folks who have made the move, and over time you'll begin to feel the impact of that in NJ. I know...I know....good riddance to "the whiners", and "the weak", right?
There will always be a large number of folks moving out of NJ. Not everyone likes it here and more yet can't manage to stay up here. For those people, the move out is the best thing they can do. The only thing is that a lot of them remain obsessed about NJ and come back to continue to bash NJ - those people should look into spending some of that money they saved by moving on counseling services, so they can let go of the past and their bitterness and perceived victimization, and start living in their new homes, content to be where they are, and living the lives they boasted would be so much better. I hope they do find that peace in their lives and stop trying to find company for their misery by trolling the NJ forum.

Whether they're "weak" or not, I don't know...the fact is they can't handle staying in NJ, for whatever reason. No problem - then a move is a good change. But there is no excuse for the continual whining and bashing, so yes, good riddance to them.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM

149 posts, read 274,270 times
It's so funny- now after living in NC (originally LI) I'd never leave Jersey! I Love it here!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM

346 posts, read 610,971 times
Well add one more family that got the hell outta Jersy...and yes i moved to Raleigh NC...and aint lookin' back. Just bought a home in rural wake County for $74k and my property taxes are $500 a year...In NJ I was paying $10000K! And for what???...corrupt politicians and school districts lining their pockets at our expense...I lived there 35 yrs and I loved many things about it but it came to a point where the negatives outweighed the positives. So we pulled up our roots and transplanted here. No regrets...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 PM

4,062 posts, read 4,105,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssebnj View Post
Taxes, taxes and more taxes. I couldn't have said it better myself. I swear to God, if the politicians could figure out a way to tax us for the air we breathe, I think they would. Did someone say "Oxygen Tax"? I'm sure someone in Trenton is mulling this over right now. But seriously, what are they going to do when there's nothing of value left in the state to either sell or lease? The politicians have GOT TO STOP the runaway spending. Period. Everybody else is expected to tighten their belts except the state. Go figure.
They already did. It's call cap and trade or cap and tax

Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM

18,419 posts, read 15,127,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
In NJ I was paying $10000K! And for what???...corrupt politicians and school districts lining their pockets at our expense...
$10000K? Thats 10 Million bucks a year in property taxes!

You must have lived in Essex County!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 25,447 times
My family and I are looking to relocate as well. I'm currently a SAHM, and we sold our house in NNJ so I could do it. Currently renting from my Mom. I have family all over the US, and the family I have here in NJ plans to leave due to the very high cost of living here.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM

346 posts, read 610,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
$10000K? Thats 10 Million bucks a year in property taxes!

You must have lived in Essex County!

No its $10000 a year and I lived in Mercer County...Still that was 1/3rd of my income

Old 02-10-2010, 01:53 PM

159 posts, read 391,888 times
i can't wait to get out of this hell hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey