Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,512,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
so, is that the only reason they are dumb? are you saying that everyone who lives in NJ are dumb who pay these taxes? are you saying that me, for instance, who is poised to retire in a few years, WELL before 50, are dumb for staying? that confuses me? am I supposed to leave family, a great paying job, minimal mortgage and taxes vis a vis income, DUMB? I'm really curious. if I am, where shall I go?
Ohhh its back Tahiti, let's give to them......................

THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN CHEAP TAXES AND A HUGE HOUSE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:38 AM

276 posts, read 1,457,858 times
We are moving to Eastern CT (once we sell our home) due to a job relocation. While we will miss many aspects of NJ, we are happy about our move. One big factor is the commute - to commute to NYC for my husband was at least an hour (and sometimes close to 2 hours) each way every day. Where we are moving we will be living max 15 minutes away from his job. In Ct, my kids will have almost another 2 hours with their father every day.

Taxes are less, a little better cost of living, and can still do NYC for a day trip. And can still drive to Grandma's house for Thanskgiving . We did contemplate moving down South, but honestly, we don't need a McMansion and we want to be relatively close to family.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,714,688 times
I am giving it a few more years in Jersey then it's off to wherever the girl want's to go. If she wants to stay here, fine, if not, then we are going to give Chicago a hard look.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,786,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Not trying to tell you how to be a good parent

BUT seriously, moving a 16 YEAR OLD KID is not a good idea ever, no matter what the circumstances, especially if it is from NYC metro to prairieland
Actually, it's the 16 year old who is chomping at the bit to move. She wants to be a storm chaser and she rides (horses) all the time, and wants her own horse. She has no problem with change and doesn't mind changing schools. However the 18 year old is not happy about the move, but he does acknowlege that it's for his own good. He is not MBA bound, will probably end up in a trade school when we move, but at least he will be able to afford a decent life. We'll all be sad to leave, but we really have no choice. Our new house in OK was $133,500, and the taxes are $1124. DH is a Network Administrator and there are a lot of those types of jobs in OK City at a fairly comparable pay to what he's making now. My daughter's college will be (depending on the school), anywhere from $3500 to $6500 a year, which means no student loans for her.

BTW, we are not in the NYC metro area. My son's never been to the city and my daughter's only been there once. We live in central NJ in a very small town near a rural area. We hope this will be for the best, but who knows? We're certainly going to try.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,512,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Actually, it's the 16 year old who is chomping at the bit to move. She wants to be a storm chaser and she rides (horses) all the time, and wants her own horse. She has no problem with change and doesn't mind changing schools. However the 18 year old is not happy about the move, but he does acknowlege that it's for his own good. He is not MBA bound, will probably end up in a trade school when we move, but at least he will be able to afford a decent life. We'll all be sad to leave, but we really have no choice. Our new house in OK was $133,500, and the taxes are $1124. DH is a Network Administrator and there are a lot of those types of jobs in OK City at a fairly comparable pay to what he's making now. My daughter's college will be (depending on the school), anywhere from $3500 to $6500 a year, which means no student loans for her.

BTW, we are not in the NYC metro area. My son's never been to the city and my daughter's only been there once. We live in central NJ in a very small town near a rural area. We hope this will be for the best, but who knows? We're certainly going to try.

Just make sure you fill us in on your new area. I would really like to hear it. I have not met one person to go to OK, so I am very interested.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,491 times
Some of my family is making new lives in the south and are loving it.
I would love to move and dream of it daily. But, what my husband does is limited in many areas. Where he is in the computer field, well, NJ is the place to be for it. Most states do not even have that kind of work at all.
So I feel stuck. It isn't a nice feeling. I want so much more for our family and so much more for our children.
NJ has many good things about it, I think we know that. But, living here feels like an uphill battle and that hill keeps getting higher and steeper.
I wish everyone the best who can move away. I wish I was one who had that choice

Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM

26 posts, read 115,820 times
Default Survey Results

Do tell . . . what will you do with this data? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,638,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
so, is that the only reason they are dumb? are you saying that everyone who lives in NJ are dumb who pay these taxes? are you saying that me, for instance, who is poised to retire in a few years, WELL before 50, are dumb for staying? that confuses me? am I supposed to leave family, a great paying job, minimal mortgage and taxes vis a vis income, DUMB? I'm really curious. if I am, where shall I go?
Not sure what you are asking. I called my family dumb because they complain about the highest taxes on earth yet they all can afford to move and wont. They are all professionals and can get high paying jobs else where. Making 6 figures in NJ is not impressive as you will still struggle to pay your bills. 6 figures most other places gives you a lifestyle many can only dream of.

The fact that you are retiring early with a tiny mortgage balance shows your age. That dont make you bad, Im not teasing you. What I mean is your generation bought thier homes when they got married at 20 and will most often never move ever again in thier life. This senario will soon be extinct as todays score shows the average family moves every 5 years. Thereby not
accumilating much equity or hometown pride.

You may indeed be able to afford to stay in your home. You may even be able to buy in the same area or some place else in NJ for lessor cost. But my point is if you have the typical stereotype 3/2/2 2000 sq ft NJ home that is worth $750,000.......well that $3/4 mill can buy you a lifestyle that can make others drewl by just moving outside those NJ borders that few Jersians even know exist.

Your point on leaving family? Yea I cried about that for 19 years untill one day I/we decided that we come first, not them. They could always visit us. Sure I miss family but no one is mad over it and I have so much more then I could ever hope to own if I stayed in NJ.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,786,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Just make sure you fill us in on your new area. I would really like to hear it. I have not met one person to go to OK, so I am very interested.
I will do that. Most of the newbies in OK are from California, which I understand is even more expensive than NJ. Plus they have horrible immigrant problems and traffic issues. Funny, but Grapes of Wrath was all about people leaving OK and moving to California. Now the exodus is in the opposite direction

Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 AM

20,318 posts, read 19,902,216 times
Quote:
stevemorse;2717365] THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN CHEAP TAXES AND A HUGE HOUSE!!!!
You've got that right. Play your cards right and you can have high taxes and a small house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey