Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 AM

21 posts, read 52,750 times

Advertisements

We finally decided on Rumson (with a small chance of River Oaks, Fair Haven if we can find the right house)- looking to move this spring! Anyway, we've been to a few open houses and met some decent realtors, but no one is really jumping out. Curious if anyone had any recs. Would be looking for someone that might have access to pre-market stuff as well. Budget is on the lower end for Rumson - we can spend a max of 1.2mln and looking for 4 bedroom.

Also, what's the deal with the beach clubs? We wouldn't look to join until 2017 as we'll be broke after this house purchase haha, but it is something we are interested in down the road as we have a one and a half year old and another on the way. I would imagine there are wait lists, but curious how long lists were and all that fun stuff.

Anything else we should know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:54 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
First off- congrats- I think you'll love either spot- both are great towns, you really can't go wrong either way. You should check out the area of Harvard & Princeton in FH- those blocks are being changed into beautiful homes by builders converting older homes lately- many in your budget-although I love the River Oaks section- love the little duck pond.

I can PM you a guy in Rumson if you're interested- he's VERY well known around here. I assume he does buyers as well- he's like #1 in the state and based in Rumson- would be a guy well plugged in. While he does sell mostly $2MM+ homes I know for a fact he does get involved in stuff less than that- but he's literally "the guy" over here- people know him by his first name.

Beach clubs- there are wait lists from my understanding- lots of people do them in Rumson & FH- but people also go to locals only spots in Sea Bright- we bought badges on sale and crushed it during week days. Some are snootier than others. You can also try Allenhurst and Long Branch to save some $$ and a bit more "regular folk." Both are very nice from my understanding. There are also a cpl of pool clubs that people join as well. Also- when you find a place speak to neighbors- we get lots of recommendations that way, some of the stuff we would never know/find otherwise.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:48 PM

21 posts, read 52,750 times
Thank you so much Metsfan! That would be great if you could PM me his information. We are very excited to make the move, just hoping that inventory picks up a bit by Feb/March!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i was a member of chapel beach club the last couple summers. we are going to try out driftwood next summer. i believe its tough to get into chapel, wasn't tough at driftwood (but its tough for a premium location) but at chapel you can get a locker for less money & driftwood you can only get a cabana which will cost a good amount more. lots of rumson residents at chapel. it has its positives and negatives, I'm hoping for a better experience next summer.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was a member of chapel beach club the last couple summers. we are going to try out driftwood next summer. i believe its tough to get into chapel, wasn't tough at driftwood (but its tough for a premium location) but at chapel you can get a locker for less money & driftwood you can only get a cabana which will cost a good amount more. lots of rumson residents at chapel. it has its positives and negatives, I'm hoping for a better experience next summer.
Captain- didn't realize you were a baller like that or that you traveled that far from Holmdel. If Driftwood is a bust someone recommended to me a place on the Long Branch/Monmouth Beach border that is a little more laid back but still very nice. Forget the name, but worth looking into maybe?
Have you tried Dive in Sea Bright yet? My fam enjoyed it a lot- although it looked like all of NJ was @ Tommy's this summer.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Captain- didn't realize you were a baller like that or that you traveled that far from Holmdel. If Driftwood is a bust someone recommended to me a place on the Long Branch/Monmouth Beach border that is a little more laid back but still very nice. Forget the name, but worth looking into maybe?
Have you tried Dive in Sea Bright yet? My fam enjoyed it a lot- although it looked like all of NJ was @ Tommy's this summer.
a couple of years ago my mom sold her house on long beach island, so now we have been stuck in the slums of sea bright searching for some summertime fun. chapel was nice and had a lot of fancy family people. my main complaints were that the locker doors opened inward so you couldnt utilize most of the space in your locker and you got 1 parking permit and any guests would have to find parking in sea bright (not easy). it is a relatively small place. ive only visited driftwood for a party. supposedly there is more drinking and less sophisticated group than chapel but friends who have been there in the summer seem to like it a lot.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
a couple of years ago my mom sold her house on long beach island, so now we have been stuck in the slums of sea bright searching for some summertime fun. chapel was nice and had a lot of fancy family people. my main complaints were that the locker doors opened inward so you couldnt utilize most of the space in your locker and you got 1 parking permit and any guests would have to find parking in sea bright (not easy). it is a relatively small place. ive only visited driftwood for a party. supposedly there is more drinking and less sophisticated group than chapel but friends who have been there in the summer seem to like it a lot.
that stinks- yeah- Chapel is the snooty club form what I gather- we just really slum it- get our beach badges on sale and use the beach during the week, park in the lot and walk across to Dive for dinner and Gracie and the Dudes for ice cream afterwards....10 min door to door...

Old 12-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
that stinks- yeah- Chapel is the snooty club form what I gather- we just really slum it- get our beach badges on sale and use the beach during the week, park in the lot and walk across to Dive for dinner and Gracie and the Dudes for ice cream afterwards....10 min door to door...
how old are your kids? one reason why the first 2 years of chapel werent so great for me were the age of my youngest daughter. it was pretty much torture the first year when she was a newborn, last year was a bit better but still not great. i never stayed around long enough for dinner. hopefully next summer will be a little more relaxing.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
how old are your kids? one reason why the first 2 years of chapel werent so great for me were the age of my youngest daughter. it was pretty much torture the first year when she was a newborn, last year was a bit better but still not great. i never stayed around long enough for dinner. hopefully next summer will be a little more relaxing.
we're still in the toddler stage- so we go late to the beach and stay for 3 hours and then go eat..much less crowded- beach around 1-2 then go grab dinner across the street,

My friends who use the beach clubs claim for the older kids it's cheaper than camp to just drop them off there all day.

Last edited by Metsfan53; 12-02-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
we're still in the toddler stage- so we go late to the beach and stay for 3 hours and then go eat..much less crowded- beach around 1-2 then go grab dinner across the street,

My friends who use the beach claim for the older kids it's cheaper than camp to just drop them off there all day.
yeah, i can see how my kids will make homeskillets at the beach club and me and the wife can relax with the adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey