Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:21 AM

30 posts, read 47,521 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband has got a job in NYC (near Penn Station) and we are looking for good residential options in North Jersey. He also needs to do bit of travelling to Boston, Wayne etc. We will prefer to live on any NJ transit line city to keep two job markets open for both of us (NY and NJ). Main requirements are: Good school system (for our 7 year old child), Safe neighborhood, Available parking at train station in case it is not at a walking distance and also reasonable rent as I am not sure if we will be single income or double income family by the time i move (i might take break to care for my child). Any help will be highly appreciated, we have lived in South NJ before but are totally clueless about the Northern part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:56 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,941,687 times
You'll need to define "reasonable" to you, since there are significant cost differences in towns.

Also, need to know how long of a commute would be acceptable since that also drives available options.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:45 AM

If I can get 2 BR apartment for $1500 or so it will be great but I am ready to stretch out the dollars to go for a better neighborhood.

We are OK with an hour long commute to NYC.

Also after doing my research I understand that North Edison is a good option due to high rated school but I am not sure exactly which parts of North Edison have good rental options.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 AM

Also, can anyone please let me know the process of getting admission in the school. My daughter is currently studying in Grade 2 in India and we are not sure what would be the right month to make the move. If we move by March when the session will be over here, can she get admission in the school there or will have wait for a certain time period?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,082,870 times
You mentioned available parking at a train station. The vast majority of train stations have a waiting list of a year or more (some are over 5 years). Metropark has a large parking deck but I don't know what their availability is for a monthly parking permit.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:25 AM

We are ok with daily parking fee as my husband will be working from home after couple of months and would need to go to the city only once in a while. My main concern is to know the names of areas in North Edison so that I can look for rentals. Also getting school admission info is a priority for us so that we can plan our move. Our tentative moving date is Feb end but not sure how the school thing will work out for my girl.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,718,694 times
The Edison/Woodbridge/Metuchen area would be great choices, especially since you are Indian. Large communities there (not as much in Metuchen, but it's a small area in the middle of Edison). Woodbridge has a very nice Indian downtown with shops and restaurants galore. These communities are safe and with good schools. 2 BR for $1500 should be doable around there.

If you want to look a little further north, $1500 could also get you a 2BR in Parsippany-Troy Hills and Morris Plains. The train would be more like 1 hr. 20 min. though from the Morris Plains or Mountain Lakes stations. Parking can be problematic though (same with Edison/Woodbridge too, though). There are plenty of Indians in PTH as well, with several grocery stores available.

As you start to get closer in from the general Morris Plains/PTH area, it gets increasingly expensive and progressively harder to find $1500 for a 2BR in a good community. There are also less Indians the closer you get to NYC, when compared to PTH and Edison/Woodbrige...except for Jersey City. But you don't want to use the public schools there. $1500 for a 2BR in a safe part of JC, too? Fugheddaboutit. I'm in a 1BR there, and it's over $2000.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Woodbridge has a very nice Indian downtown with shops and restaurants galore. These communities are safe and with good schools.

By way of clarification, the "Indian downtown" to which Leps referred is in the Iselin section of Woodbridge Township, adjacent to Edison. And, the schools in Iselin are good--unlike many of the schools in the other sections of Woodbridge Township.

Additionally, NJ Transit's Metropark station is located in Iselin, so there is relatively easy commuting to NY Penn Station via the Northeast Corridor RR line.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM

227 posts, read 326,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indmirage View Post
Also, can anyone please let me know the process of getting admission in the school. My daughter is currently studying in Grade 2 in India and we are not sure what would be the right month to make the move. If we move by March when the session will be over here, can she get admission in the school there or will have wait for a certain time period?
The admission process here does not work like in India. You can get admission as soon as you get an address which determines the school that is assigned to you.
I would also recommend Iselin/edison area due to large indian community. Not sure about the parking at the station scenario but i know tons of people there travel to penn station daily and it wont be a problem for your husband to carpool to the station with a neighbour if you do not get parking.

I am Indian and stay at madison. My husband travels to jersey city daily by train and it takes him 1 hr door to door. That being said parsippany and morris plains are 2-3 stations away from madison. So i would say that run would be 1.5 hrs or longer plus NJ transit runs a lot of delay at hoboken (from what i have heard)

Also regarding school the admission depends on the age of the child. If i am not mistaken the cut off date is determined as of 1st oct. sometimes the schools accomodate too incase they feel the child will unnecessarily end up repeating the curiculum.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Thank you so much, all your replies were really helpful. Our decision making criteria does not really include areas only populated by Indians.. We love diversity and have previously lived in Cherry Hill with very few Indians in our community and have friends comprising of all ethnicity from our previous stay in US. What matters the most is our child's education and clean and spacious apartments (you see we got spoiled by South Jersey :-)

Would Edison have bus or shuttle connectivity to Train Station/Metropark. I looked at Iselin/Woodbridge areas but North Edison schools have much higher rating. not sure though if those ratings matter to us right now as our daughter will be going to an elementary school only. Also, my daughter was born in May 2008..can anyone please give me an idea what grade will she be admitted to in US?

Hope you all can help me. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey