Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:51 PM

28 posts, read 39,193 times

Advertisements

We're hitting the final stretch of the building progress. We have final inspections scheduled for Jan 19 and I'm super excited to finally be getting into this house. Still work to do, but I'm sure we can get it done. Our hood arrived earlier than expected and our kitchen is 90% done.

What's left to do:
1. Install carpet
2. Install washer/dryer (delivery is Jan 18)
3. Clean the house
4. Fix minor caulking issues. Fix minor light fixture issues.

Work done to date:
1. Bathrooms and fixtures fully installed. Knobs are mostly installed. Missing a few.
2. Bedroom features and fixtures installed
3. Kitchen done except fridge installation

Previous mistakes:
1. Outlets fixed
2. Loose brick fixed
3. Cabinet wall fixed
4. Bathroom tile fixed
5. Damage previously existing stone fireplace sill - trying to figure out what to do

New Issues:
1. Built-in fridge doesn't fit into designed spot - trying to figure out what to do
2. Pocket door doesn't have pull latch
3. Heating system filter not accessible - Power outlet blocks easier change spot (LOL)

I'll post final pictures once I'm closed as we're close anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 05:59 AM

Default Construction Complete!

So after buying my house back in Nov 2015, I'm FINALLY able to move in. Construction was completed Jan 30 and we received our CO on Feb 3. Inspections went well and didn't cause any delays. The work done by the builder was fantastic.

There are a few IOUs pending, but nothing that's critical. It's a backordered doorknob and the mantel that the fireplace company still hasn't delivered. Builder will be back once the items arrive.

Overall I'm thrilled with the results and am excited to move the (extended) family in. We've been waiting for such a long time. The best part has been seeing my almost 3 year old get into the house and just RUN for hours.

If anyone is doing something similar, please reach out. I'm always willing to provide feedback and advice from my experiences.

Some general lessons learned:
  • Even if you have a PM, you MUST be involved. There is no handing over a bunch of cash and forgetting about it. You should know your contract and use it to ensure you are getting what you wanted and asked for. Sometimes people forget or miss a nuance. It's up to you to make sure your project ends the way you want it do.
  • Expect the worst. Hope for the best. This way when issues come up (they always do), you are mentally prepared for the challenge. If planning/construction/inspections go without any issues, then consider yourself lucky.
  • Plan backwards. Think about the furniture you want and how you would layout the room, the backsplash, the tv, the toilet, towel bars, wireless network, etc and then plan your space. A simple example is designing your bathroom. You plan it to be beautiful but you realize you have no place to hang your towels. It's not something you think about when you design your dream bathroom.

Thanks for anyone who joined me on this ride. Thanks @KeyCC for his post. Finally some last pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-1.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-2.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-3.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-4.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-5.jpg  

Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-6.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-7.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-8.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-9.jpg   Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-10.jpg  

Full Reno + 2nd Floor Addition - Planning, Approvals, Building, Etc-11.jpg  

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Congratulations! Glad that everything worked out so well, may your guidance inspire others to create what makes them happy.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 AM

256 posts, read 311,500 times
Congratulations! Beautiful house. May I ask what is your total cost for full reno and addition?

Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Congratulations! Beautiful house. May I ask what is your total cost for full reno and addition?
Hi Klara,

Total Cost for everything was sub-$500K. It works out to about $125 sq/ft. If we only added the addition, it would have been a bit cheaper. Doing all the additional work of completely redoing the first floor increased out cost.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results. We basically built a custom house on an existing frame.

If you want more specific details, just PM me and we can discuss all the costs I put in.

Amit

Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM

104 posts, read 233,300 times
Outstanding Results!
Glad to see my recco came through

Key1cc

Old 09-07-2021, 08:51 AM

I got an email saying this thread is still being seeing by a lot of people. Surprisingly.

We've lived here 4 years now and are still very happy with the overall results. We had a few issues later, but they we all fixed under the builder's warranty or manufacturer's.

Still around if anyone has questions. The one thing I know for certain is my costs are now VERY wrong for 2021. Labor and Materials have sky rocketed this last year so I hope no one is using my estimates for cost. I can still help with drawings. I did have someone reach out and I went through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey