Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
How long of a commute to Newark or NYC on the train there? I just want my girlfriend to be able to get to Ironbound and me to be able to get to work.
20 min...

You can look at Linden also but I'm not sure of housing around the train there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 02:58 PM

260 posts, read 239,359 times
I appreciate all the answers guys! Very helpful and I'm glad I started the discussion.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,283 times
I would look into Belleville. It's diversr, very large Hispanic population near Newark but it is much safer. Living in Newark or Paterson is not ideal especially for a young family.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I would look into Belleville. It's diversr, very large Hispanic population near Newark but it is much safer. Living in Newark or Paterson is not ideal especially for a young family.
How is transit/ cost of living? Part of this move is also to lessen my financial burden. The cost of living in Boston and the surrounding area is outrageous.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 PM

It's close to some train stations and they have buses. You probably want at least one car but its cheaper then the better towns and much safer then the Newark, Paterson, etc.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
My friend/coworker lives in Belleville. He catches the light rail to Newark Penn. Not sure if he walks to the LR. He is white/Jewish, his wife is Peruvian.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My friend/coworker lives in Belleville. He catches the light rail to Newark Penn. Not sure if he walks to the LR. He is white/Jewish, his wife is Peruvian.
Thanks for the suggestion Mightyqueen and nykstevenyg. I gave Belleville a look and I don't think it's urban enough for my taste. I'd like somewhere somewhat walkable and if I wanted to get food past 8 o clock or have a night out, I'm screwed. I don't really feel comfortable in towns. Everyone knows everyone's business and I fear I'd end up around the same time of people I'm trying to escape from. I don't plan on staying in Jersey permanently unless I love it and find a niche so I'm not as worried about finding a place with "great" schools. I just need to put a roof over my family's head and ideally have cool people to meet. If it's different than Mass, who knows, I could call jersey home

Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 PM

Newark and Paterson are not somewhere you want to walk around past 8. Maybe downtown Bloomfield? Maybe look at Rahway.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Newark and Paterson are not somewhere you want to walk around past 8. Maybe downtown Bloomfield? Maybe look at Rahway.
Much like any city it depends on which part you're in. If we went the Newark route, we'd stick to certain areas. Paterson as well but if this provides a context...

//www.city-data.com/city/Spring...achusetts.html I'm accustomed to this.

It is not my first rodeo. I just don't feel comfortable in small towny environments. I know what I'm getting myself into crime-wise, I just know that America is going through a turbulent time and the racial climate is not the same everywhere. Nobody wants to go where they're unwelcome. Springfield and Chelsea are both cities most people wouldn't walk around past 8. Of course I'm not invincible but I'm not worried about the crime. Worried enough where I'd never consider Camden (that's just stupid and there's no reason to live there), but gritty is fine. Gentrification is looming where I am now and I can't afford 1600 a month in rent when a whole foods gets built and the hipsters move in. I laid out the cities I'm considering, just wanted to know, ideally from a Newark/Elizabeth/ Paterson resident, what the lay of the land is like. A non-yuppie, non-hipster, street smart white guy moving in. It's no secret that in some places it would **** off more than others. In Springfield, they don't give a sh*t as long as you can handle yourself, while Boston's less glitzy areas would care a lot more because of the longstanding racial hostility in the city, which still exists today. I don't necessarily strive to live in the roughest area possible but as far as urban areas go, very few are peaches and cream. we can't have it all!

I just can't stand the overwhelming yuppie presence anymore, along with the rising prices that will soon follow

Old 12-15-2015, 02:52 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
How is transit/ cost of living? Part of this move is also to lessen my financial burden. The cost of living in Boston and the surrounding area is outrageous.
But if this is the consideration, then you are moving in the wrong direction. NYC metro area I would think is even more expensive then Boston, certainly not cheaper. Have you thought of living somewhere in Bronx? It is still cheaper than everywhere else in NYC but pockets of it are safe. You have good transit but I would not be walking around at night in most of Bronx.

But have you considered metro areas that have lower COL? Such as Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas/Houston, maybe Denver and/or Salt Lake city? Maybe good areas of Detroit?

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 12-15-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey