Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:17 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Oddly enough,most people who stop doing heroin blow up and get really fat.

Its the coke addicts that stay thin,while on it and after they stop.

I thought everyone knew that many take cocaine to control weight?

Kirstie Alley admitted it in her book that she used coke to stay thin in the 80's while on Cheers.
It doesn't really work that way, because you eat twice as much the next day.

And Kirstie Alley is not really a good example of someone who stopped doing coke and stayed thin, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i dont really understand how people pretend it is difficult to avoid getting obese. i understand it is difficult to maintain a very fit body but it really requires no self control to eat enough on a daily basis to get fat.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Is this addiction any worse than those with the addiction going out of the weekends drinking lots of alchohol, or people who smoke cigarettes for social reasons. They all work for money to enable them to do these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahvSgFHzJIc

Everyone has there vices.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:57 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is this addiction any worse than those with the addiction going out of the weekends drinking lots of alchohol, or people who smoke cigarettes for social reasons. They all work for money to enable them to do these things.

Everyone has there (sic) vices.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that those who imbibe alcohol and/or smoke cigarettes are typically a major part of the crime problem.

How many people who want a drink or a smoke will break into other people's homes in order to steal somebody else's property, and then sell it to a fence in order to buy their booze or their smokes?
Very few, in my experience...

Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that those who imbibe alcohol and/or smoke cigarettes are typically a major part of the crime problem.

How many people who want a drink or a smoke will break into other people's homes in order to steal somebody else's property, and then sell it to a fence in order to buy their booze or their smokes?
Very few, in my experience...

do you consider drunk driving a crime?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:22 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
do you consider drunk driving a crime?

Is it a crime?
Yes, I suppose that it is, but when it comes to crimes such as burglary/robbery--which are the ones to which I was obviously referring--alcohol and tobacco are not problem substances--unlike opiates and opioids.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
no victim, no crime.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Frustrating, all aspects of the problem.

"Treatment beds are available in New Jersey, but often only if you can afford the $20,000 or more for extended inpatient care, or have insurance that covers it."

Only if money was the solution. It is not. People have spent a lot more and going to top rehab centers in the country tono avail.

The best of families lose children to drugs. The worst families lose more children to drugs.

Town mayors are in denial as they supress the news to keep their town's reputation as a place you'd want to live, as gangs spread death and destruction.

A friend's 22 year old son died from a bad batch of H. Poor kid had been to rehab after rehab, even roomed with media celebs. Money was no object as the celeb and the kid eventually OD'd.

Many variables need to be addressed. Importers and dealers and their representative gangs would be a good starting point.

Prosecutors allow violent offenders to plead to non violent crimes just to dispose of the case, save money or forward the prosecutor's political career, there needs to be an accounting of the legal strategy.

On a national level the cry to free non violent offenders is a sham as many have taken deals and legally appear as non violent. the result compounds the violence of repeat offenders and sows the seeds of more pain and suffering. All to foward a political agenda and garner votes.

Throwing money at a problem is a traditional strategy which simply serves as an excuse to say you are addressing, not solving the problem.

If one rescue methodology worked everyone would be doing it.

Many communities have lost their power to exert peer pressure and now serve as enablers.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Everyone has there vices.
The people who do heroin generally do not work to support themselves and their habit. You cant work effectively while on heroin and an addict requires the drug contantly. A heroin addiction can cost $100+ per day.

An alcoholic can generally manage just drinking at night and can buy a bottle of booze which will satisfy them for under $10 a day.

It is much worse. Heroin addicts are generally terrible people while they are using

Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM

562 posts, read 464,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In doctors' offices, unfortunately...

When MDs & DOs overprescribe opioids (Oxycontin, Percoset) for chronic pain problems, they are setting up the possibility for a weak-willed person to become addicted to those substances. Then, due to the reality that opiates (heroin) are cheaper on the street than the chemically-similar opioids marketed by Big Pharma, you have the current situation with which we are faced.

If so many physicians weren't so prone to over-dispensing of opioid pain medications, we would have only a small fraction of the number of opiate addicts that we see currently.

I don't buy that excuse. I had major surgery and received a prescription (w/ refills) for percoset. After taking one of the pills, while recuperating, I felt extremely drowsy and absolutely hated the feeling. Instead of taking more, I threw away the pills and opted to rely on prayer, meditation, physical therapy, yoga and eating healthy. Guess what, I'm fully recovered and didn't have any issues. Best decision I ever made... but I should point out that I've always abstained from substances (i.e. alcohol, drugs, etc.). I prefer to deal with my emotions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey