Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
She agrees to having to pay the late fees. What she doesn't agree to is having to pay the other fees.
I understand.

I don't think she will have to pay them, provided we are getting the full and accurate account of what happened. I am not a lawyer though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
My opinion is that she will have to pay them. If she paid rent late but didn't pay the late fees, then she didn't pay the full amount due each month. This is something that you can be evicted for. It's the same as if you pay less than the rent each month- those late fees are contractual obligations just like any other payment under the lease.

If her lease requires that she pay court costs (which I'm sure that it does), then she's also on the hook for the lawyer costs. This is the cost of not following the contract.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
My opinion is that she will have to pay them. If she paid rent late but didn't pay the late fees, then she didn't pay the full amount due each month. This is something that you can be evicted for. It's the same as if you pay less than the rent each month- those late fees are contractual obligations just like any other payment under the lease.

If her lease requires that she pay court costs (which I'm sure that it does), then she's also on the hook for the lawyer costs. This is the cost of not following the contract.
It is a local thing but in most jurisdictions you can evict only for failure to pay the rent. Failure to pay fines or other charges does not do it. The LL can get a judgement to collect the fine...but not an eviction

Old 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
If the tenants late payments caused the landlord to start a court action, then the tenant is responsible to pay the attorney fees and court costs. Being two weeks late with rent is unacceptable. Most landlords would start the eviction after 5 days.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
If the tenants late payments caused the landlord to start a court action, then the tenant is responsible to pay the attorney fees and court costs. Being two weeks late with rent is unacceptable. Most landlords would start the eviction after 5 days.
Again. The LL knew the rent was paid before he filed the action. Thus he had no basis for filing the action. If he had filed the action while she was late then he might have a rational action to collect the fee. But he does not have a legitimate base for what he did.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Again. The LL knew the rent was paid before he filed the action. Thus he had no basis for filing the action. If he had filed the action while she was late then he might have a rational action to collect the fee. But he does not have a legitimate base for what he did.

Being habitually late with rent and/or not paying late fees is a violation of the lease. Regardless of rent being paid, the landlord can proceed with an eviction for any violation.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Being habitually late with rent and/or not paying late fees is a violation of the lease. Regardless of rent being paid, the landlord can proceed with an eviction for any violation.
Generally not in most places. Eviction for failure to pay. Fines and payments for lates. I don't know a place where you can evict for late.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Generally not in most places. Eviction for failure to pay. Fines and payments for lates. I don't know a place where you can evict for late.

The evictions would not be started for being late....it would be for a lease violation. Legal in all states.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
The evictions would not be started for being late....it would be for a lease violation. Legal in all states.
There was a contract breach.. It was cured. There is no remedy that lets a contract be terminated for a cured breach. Could you write a lease with such a clause? Perhaps...but you may run into over riding statutes many places.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
There was a contract breach.. It was cured. There is no remedy that lets a contract be terminated for a cured breach. Could you write a lease with such a clause? Perhaps...but you may run into over riding statutes many places.
I don't really think this works. I don't think you can just break the lease; then make good on it and think that you can just "cure" whenever you feel like it and now its ok.

those court costs are significantly less than what my landlord charges. I believe he right away looked for $1k. to me, $1k is too high, it makes people not pay. if you do $200 you probably can intimidate people into paying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey