Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:33 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times

Advertisements

There are homes in Long Hill Township (Gillette, Stirling, Millington) that are walkable to the train stations and would be viewed as older historic.
The whole area is not, but certainly it is a safe area and many homes are walkable to train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:44 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner7 View Post
One comment I have is that I would consider the school district of the town you buy in. While you won't be using them, it will greatly impact your resale value down the road for a large home if it's in a place where one would have to send their kids to private schools (i.e. Newark, Orange, Plainfield, Hillside).
This should hardly matter -- presumably, you're also paying less for the same home when you purchase it. Sure, a $300k home in Plainfield won't be worth the same as an $800k home in Maplewood in twenty years' time, but you also bought it for less than half the price.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:39 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sleepy Hollow in Plainfied is not a bad choice if you never venture into the undesirable areas. Nice selection of better built historic older homes. Close to the train. If you already own a home invasion prevention device it might come in handy in any home in the Plainfield area.
I don't normally recommend Plainfield unless the poster is stressing diverse area. You already said schools don't matter so maybe Plainfield would work for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
I've been looking to buy in Sleepy Hollow for over a year now and have spoken with many residents and others who know the area. There are few to no home invasions there and very little crime overall. Those who live there love it there. Would I skip the security system? Probably not. But would I worry about living there? Not in the least. Edited to add: Forgot to mention, most homes in Sleepy Hollow (not all) are kinda small. Less than 1800 sq. ft. Even if they have 4 bedrooms, they are small ones.
Strongly consider the Washington Park Historic District in the Borough of North Plainfield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
How about Garwood or Sotch Plains
A second recommendation for Garwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner7 View Post
One comment I have is that I would consider the school district of the town you buy in. While you won't be using them, it will greatly impact your resale value down the road for a large home if it's in a place where one would have to send their kids to private schools (i.e. Newark, Orange, Plainfield, Hillside).
Agreed but for a second reason. Sometimes long-term plans change, either by choice or necessity. Therefore, think twice before buying in towns with dysfunctional school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey