Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 7,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post
if well paying job in nyc then please look at grove st / newport / exchange place / hoboken / weehawken . they are very close to nyc . less time spent in travel. great night life. plenty of singles . match for your age group. you can get a place to stay on sharing basis.

from brunswicks to nyc is atleast 40 mins .

I have thought about moving that close to NYC but my friend's job would be centered closer to East Windsor/Hightstown which is why I wanted to be fair and find a place equal distance from each of us. I live near Philly right now, so I'm all too familiar with the sitting in traffic on I76. Would any of you have any other suggestions for an area I guess in between Staten Island and Highstown then? I just thought one of the brunswicks would be perfect because we could always uber into New Brunswick to have a good time, meet up with some of college friends, but we would be able to go home to some place that is nice and quiet. Like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Agreed about East and North Brunswick.

However, IMO, for someone in their mid 20s, New Brunswick is fine. There are a lot of young professionals and graduate students there. The college bars are sorta separated from the non-college bars.

It's not great, but there's really no better scene for a mid 20s person outside of NYC, Philly and Jersey City and Hoboken.

The Jersey Shore scene is very homogenous and obnoxious and you have to drive drunk to go everywhere. Towns like Westfield and Princeton are too stuffy and yuppie for someone mid-20s and you also have to drive drunk.

Morristown also has a decent scene , but I never think of it as so, because I grew up near there.
Sorry for the double post, I should I guess clarify what would be ideal. We don't have to be in the middle of the bar scene. It would be nice to not have to travel 20-30 miles for a place to have fun like mid 20 year olds do, but we just wanted some place that is nice, won't break the bank, and isn't in the middle of no where

Old 12-26-2015, 08:24 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Agreed about East and North Brunswick.

However, IMO, for someone in their mid 20s, New Brunswick is fine. There are a lot of young professionals and graduate students there. The college bars are sorta separated from the non-college bars.

It's not great, but there's really no better scene for a mid 20s person outside of NYC, Philly and Jersey City and Hoboken.

The Jersey Shore scene is very homogenous and obnoxious and you have to drive drunk to go everywhere. Towns like Westfield and Princeton are too stuffy and yuppie for someone mid-20s and you also have to drive drunk.

Morristown also has a decent scene , but I never think of it as so, because I grew up near there.
agree with this post

i believe that without Rutgers+New Brunswick, Central NJ would be utterly deprived of twenty-somethings.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:37 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,441 times
Both are spread-out car-dependent family towns. North Brunswick has the new transit village going up on Rt 1, which is supposed to have condos included in with the shopping and train station on the NEC to commue to the city, so that would probably make it a better option than East Brunswick, but New Brunswick has all the nightlife you need for the area. That said, it seems as though there has been a lot of crime there lately, more than usual at least.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:42 AM

362 posts, read 497,645 times
Seems like anything around New Brunswick would make the most sense for you and your friend. I'm in my mid-30's and single and I feel the same way you do. I don't need to be IN a town with all the nightlife, etc.... I just need to be NEAR it. I work in Princeton Junction currently, and I live in Bucks County, PA. But I seriously need to get out of Bucks County!! Been in Bucks Co. & Northeast Philly for over 10 years and it's time to go! I'm originally from the New York area (Long Island to be exact), so being in the NYC area makes me feel more comfortable. I've finally narrowed down the towns I'm looking into: New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Somerset, Piscataway, Highland Park, and South Edison.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA3887F1 View Post
Sorry for the double post, I should I guess clarify what would be ideal. We don't have to be in the middle of the bar scene. It would be nice to not have to travel 20-30 miles for a place to have fun like mid 20 year olds do, but we just wanted some place that is nice, won't break the bank, and isn't in the middle of no where
If that is the case, then maybe Highland Park.

It'll be a cheaper Uber over to New Brunswick and you don't have to live in the middle of the hustle and bustle.

East Brunswick and North Brunswick are OK options in that case, but if you will Uber, it will cost more. If you drink and drive (which I don't recommend, but honestly most people in NJ do), then both of those places are fine.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Seems like anything around New Brunswick would make the most sense for you and your friend. I'm in my mid-30's and single and I feel the same way you do. I don't need to be IN a town with all the nightlife, etc.... I just need to be NEAR it. I work in Princeton Junction currently, and I live in Bucks County, PA. But I seriously need to get out of Bucks County!! Been in Bucks Co. & Northeast Philly for over 10 years and it's time to go! I'm originally from the New York area (Long Island to be exact), so being in the NYC area makes me feel more comfortable. I've finally narrowed down the towns I'm looking into: New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Somerset, Piscataway, Highland Park, and South Edison.
I would rank those in this order...

Highland Park
New Brunswick
Edison
Piscataway
North Brunswick
Somerset

Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
I lived in Highland Park for many years. It's kind of an extension of New Brunswick in the sense that if you live in the southern end of town you can actually walk right into downtown New Brunswick, including the train station. But I can tell you it's a sleepy little town with absolutely nothing going on as far as entertainment. But I did enjoy living there and it was nice to have the peace and quiet. The town has a ton of apartments so you should have no problem finding something.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
I live right across the Burlington Bristol Bridge and I worked at a certain themepark in Bucks for many years so I know that area well . But Those are kind of the areas I'm kind of looking into too now since everyone doesn't really have a high opinion for any of the brunswicks for anyone my age and New Brunswick would be the place that I would go too, but not live in. I've heard some issues with crime there a lot, but being the home of RU doesn't help at all.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I lived in Highland Park for many years. It's kind of an extension of New Brunswick in the sense that if you live in the southern end of town you can actually walk right into downtown New Brunswick, including the train station. But I can tell you it's a sleepy little town with absolutely nothing going on as far as entertainment. But I did enjoy living there and it was nice to have the peace and quiet. The town has a ton of apartments so you should have no problem finding something.
So would you recommend Highland Park in my case also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey