Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times

Advertisements

Well I think the latest :neat gadget" of this year is a little square plastic wireless transponder type thing called "The Tile". You put in on your key ring and you can then use your cell phone to find your keys or use your keys to find your cellphone.

Back about Dec 10 I ordered 8 of them for holiday presents for kids, nieces, nephews, their husbands and wives, etc.
Received them about 2 days ago and decided I would try to buy another box of 4. WOW.

I looked online and reportedly BestBuy had them, I stopped at one that was on my way home from work,,,,all sold out. I placed an online order over the cellphone and thought I was going to pickup a box of 4 in E Brunswick, then the order got switched to Jersey City, then got on the cust svc phone and waited about 1 hour for a person to pickup! They had 1 left at J City and 2 left at E Brunswick, then none to be had, we cancelled my order.

T-Mobile is another retailer that had some but only individual ones not boxes of 4 which by then I didnt care.
I drove to E Brunswick then at the same mall that a T-Mo store was, there was also a Best Buy Mobile. I walked in and while no reglar Best Buy stores had them anywhere, all sold out, this Best Buy Mobile had a full display of them!

Turns out they must not keep inventory with the rest of the regular stores.

Anyway if you are looking, Brunswick Square Mall Best Buy Mobile has them and T-Mo stores have the individual ones until all are sold out and more come in.

I work for none of these stores or companies, in fact this is the first time I've ever been in that mall and I've been most everywhere in NJ.

This is what I'm talking about:

The new Tile will let you find your keys or your phone | The Verge

Theyre about $25 each or about 79 for a box of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 06:01 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Well I think the latest :neat gadget" of this year is a little square plastic wireless transponder type thing called "The Tile". You put in on your key ring and you can then use your cell phone to find your keys or use your keys to find your cellphone.

Back about Dec 10 I ordered 8 of them for holiday presents for kids, nieces, nephews, their husbands and wives, etc.
Received them about 2 days ago and decided I would try to buy another box of 4. WOW.

I looked online and reportedly BestBuy had them, I stopped at one that was on my way home from work,,,,all sold out. I placed an online order over the cellphone and thought I was going to pickup a box of 4 in E Brunswick, then the order got switched to Jersey City, then got on the cust svc phone and waited about 1 hour for a person to pickup! They had 1 left at J City and 2 left at E Brunswick, then none to be had, we cancelled my order.

T-Mobile is another retailer that had some but only individual ones not boxes of 4 which by then I didnt care.
I drove to E Brunswick then at the same mall that a T-Mo store was, there was also a Best Buy Mobile. I walked in and while no reglar Best Buy stores had them anywhere, all sold out, this Best Buy Mobile had a full display of them!

Turns out they must not keep inventory with the rest of the regular stores.

Anyway if you are looking, Brunswick Square Mall Best Buy Mobile has them and T-Mo stores have the individual ones until all are sold out and more come in.

I work for none of these stores or companies, in fact this is the first time I've ever been in that mall and I've been most everywhere in NJ.

This is what I'm talking about:

The new Tile will let you find your keys or your phone | The Verge

Theyre about $25 each or about 79 for a box of 4.
I've been meaning to get this for my wife. She is always losing her keys. I have also seen other brands advertised for less money, but the tile has a big enough name that I know it will still be around a year from now.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:53 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
The article says the battery is fully sealed and lasts about a year. So what do you do when the battery dies? You have to replace the entire device? A 1 year life span is not very good for 25 bucks.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The article says the battery is fully sealed and lasts about a year. So what do you do when the battery dies? You have to replace the entire device? A 1 year life span is not very good for 25 bucks.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I remember reading that the replacement tiles cost less than the original tiles.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
You put in on your key ring and you can then use your cell phone to find your keys
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I've been meaning to get this for my wife. She is always losing her keys.

I have always been mystified by people who are "always losing" their keys.
If you have a consistent location where you place your keys when arriving home, it shouldn't be difficult to know where they are at all times.

Whether somebody uses...a dish...or a key, wallet & pocket change caddy...or a hook on the wall...or simply a consistent location on your desk or dresser, IMHO knowing where one's keys are located is not exactly rocket science. I use a hook on the wall, and simply hanging my keys on that hook when I enter the house removes all of the mystery regarding the location of my keys.

Instead, I think that many people use the Hansel & Gretel approach, namely the random sprinkling of their possessions as they walk around the house, just as the fairy tale twosome scattered bread crumbs behind them.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:03 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have always been mystified by people who are "always losing" their keys.
If you have a consistent location where you place your keys when arriving home, it shouldn't be difficult to know where they are at all times.

Whether somebody uses...a dish...or a key, wallet & pocket change caddy...or a hook on the wall...or simply a consistent location on your desk or dresser, IMHO knowing where one's keys are located is not exactly rocket science. I use a hook on the wall, and simply hanging my keys on that hook when I enter the house removes all of the mystery regarding the location of my keys.

Instead, I think that many people use the Hansel & Gretel approach, namely the random sprinkling of their possessions as they walk around the house, just as the fairy tale twosome scattered bread crumbs behind them.

I agree. I have a hook on the wall by each door of my house and place the keys there as soon as I walk in. I don't think I have ever lost my keys. I think devices like this are geared towards women...from my personal experience they seem to be a lot more prone to losing things than men...

Last edited by ansky; 12-24-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
I agree. I have a hook on the wall by each door of my house and place the keys there as soon as I walk in. I don't think I have ever lost my keys. I think devices like this are geared towards women...from my personal experience they seem to be a more prone to losing things than men...
Yup!
That makes two of us who have never lost our keys.

Electronic devices can be great, but...substituting them for simple logic in one's daily behaviors just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:13 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Could this also help you find your car in a parking lot?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
I agree. I have a hook on the wall by each door of my house and place the keys there as soon as I walk in. I don't think I have ever lost my keys. I think devices like this are geared towards women...from my personal experience they seem to be a lot more prone to losing things than men...

Right, and women are the only bad drivers on the planet, are the only ones that take 2 hours to get ready to go anywhere and are the only ones who can cook, clean, do your laundry, birth your children and work 40 hours a week in addition to waiting on you hand and foot..........

What a load of BS, I haven't lost or misplaced my keys since I got my first set at the age of 16 and I am 55 now.....

Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Right. My son often misplaces his keys. He usually puts them on his desk...except when he doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey